Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Perch

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say it would taste better by the sea than Jackson Hole. Damn, I'd like to catch some of those bastards on bass tackle!

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything deep fried in golden batter which doesn't taste like fish. I like walleye, pike and channel cat equally. I actually can't recall eating a perch...If I had to pick an absolute, it would be Long John Silver's or Red Lobster deep fried grouper. I had mahi once and really just remember the texture was more like chicken breast than fish.

You didn't have good Mahi then.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the crispy belly flap on a bluegill is like a walleye cheek - the bow that God puts on an already wonderful gift - because of the special place in his heart we fishermen have :;:rockit

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe chicken wasn't the right description; it's been years. I DO remember it being more dense compared to other fish. How would you describe it? I'm picky as hell and it tasted good to me BTW...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are lots of fish out there that are great table fare. Someone early on noted it best, almost anything out of cold water. I love blue gills (sweet tasting little bastages), crappie, walleye, pike, and even cats out of cold water. As water temps go up, the cats and northerns are the first to fall off my shopping list.

From the ocean, halibut and dolphin are excellent, but black sea bass are even better. Grouper is something I would really love to try, but all I've ever caught were too small to keep.

I am not a big fan of the salmonid species. Just too oily for me.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Freshwater - crappies are tough to beat

Saltwater - dorado is good as well as tuna, but a nice fillet of grilled King salmon is top notch

Sushi/sashimi - gotta go with tuna sashimi here, man is that ever good

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye, perch, bluegill, catfish, and northern from under the ice, Use 1/2 Gourmet coating and 1/2 corn meal when deep-frying or, use lemon pepper, or Citrus Grill when baking the eye, perch, and bluegill. Season corn meal with onion powder, garlic powder, and seasoned salt for catfish. Northern is either smoked, or pickled.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are lots of fish out there that are great table fare. Someone early on noted it best, almost anything out of cold water. I love blue gills (sweet tasting little bastages), crappie, walleye, pike, and even cats out of cold water. As water temps go up, the cats and northerns are the first to fall off my shopping list.

From the ocean, halibut and dolphin are excellent, but black sea bass are even better. Grouper is something I would really love to try, but all I've ever caught were too small to keep.

I am not a big fan of the salmonid species. Just too oily for me.

Agreed to a point...There is something to be said about a wild trout, bacon grease, cast iron and a fire...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
walleye and halibut --- hands down

I see perch are leading the race --- I totally disagree --- if you grill them you taste more than the breading and you taste the swamp they generally live in.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do wild channel cats taste different than restaurant served, Or is it something you acquire a taste for ? I've only had it in restaurants, Once down south , I assume they were probably farm raised and they had a mud taste that reminded me of warm water mouse river northerns. I couldn't eat it. Another time I took a chance at the golden corral, I wasn't expecting much and I was glad I only took a small piece.

Most of your restaurant-served catfish is farm raised. Depending on where you were at in the South, you might have had the fish served where they basically just cut the head off, gutted the fish, and then breaded and deep fried it with the bones and fins still on it. I love catfish but I hate this particular way of serving it. Very popular in the deep south though.

Personally, I like it blackened. Which is a Cajun, kind of pan seared style if you're not familiar with the term.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55