Fishing Kayak Input Requested

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems they should somehow make everything float, poles, tackle bag, sunglasses, phones, ipod, etc.

we need more float technology

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 10 foot jon that can be handled quite easily by one man. It works good for one guy. I have fished two out of it, but it is fear inducing. The label says: 2 persons or 180lbs, ha ha. Must be built for a couple anorexic Hmong women.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/l1032-jon/#specifications

This is the one I have. You can take it off my hands for a mere $300.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 10 foot jon that can be handled quite easily by one man. It works good for one guy. I have fished two out of it, but it is fear inducing. The label says: 2 persons or 180lbs, ha ha. Must be built for a couple anorexic Hmong women.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/l1032-jon/#specifications

This is the one I have. You can take it off my hands for a mere $300.

That boat would hold about half of me, I would need two, one for each cheek

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr, that is exactly what happened, most expensive rod, was even tethered with a velcro strap. That was the weak link. KDM, for the fishing rods I use para cord tied to the blank above the reel, which is then run down the handle where a different type of velcro strap holds it snug and keeps it from tangling in the reel. The lead is about 5' long and tied to a carabiner. The carabiner hooks to an eye strap either side of the yak. Small net, again tied with paracord to an eye strap and is stored between the hull and a bungee. I use small polycarbonate dry boxes for tackle, even with sinkers it still floats, also tied off with paracord (are you seeing the trend here??) The well behind the seat hols a 36 qt cooler perfectly. A few bungees to hold it and secure the lid (don't want to lose fish or frosty beverages), and you are set. If you want to take a look and you are near Minot I can drop it and show you the setup. Like most things in life it is a work in progress. Good luck in your search.

BLZ

We canoe fished all last summer in lakes but never the river. It was a blast. You can get into tons of spots regular boats can't and its super quiet. We just had a little fish finder and tiny trolling motor on it and zipped all over. We are actually selling it now because we bought a boat but I will miss it. My husband also has a kayak that he fishes off of sometimes but the canoe had a better set up.

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a NuCanoe Frontier 2 years ago and love it. It's wider (41") and super stable. Ive never worried about tipping in it. I use a regular boat seat on it so it's very comfortable for me. I also use a trolling motor on back for bigger water. Plus the price is competitive.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hobbie kayak and wouldn't trade anything for it. Being hands free and able to fight a fish/cast/tie jigs and still maneuver is huge to me. They also come with a spot built in for a transducer for a depth finder so I put just a little Lowrance Elite-4 HDI on it. Troll bottom bouncers all time time with it and when I'm done and have a ways to go back to where I put in I sometimes troll a crankbait. It's very peaceful to be out in it as most of the place I end up fishing with it are very quiet and more then likely have the place to yourself.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A hobbie won't work very well in the Sheyenne where I plan on fishing most of the time with a kayak. It's too shallow, rock filled, and choked with downed trees. I'd wreck the pedal drive in no time flat. I do like the options you get with a hobie so I'm looking at what other craft has those available.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
As low as the water is nothing will work very well.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you pee out of a kayak?

You could have done so much better than that. Submit to the Force. For example:

I have a 10 foot jon that can be handled quite easily by one man.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not saying you'd enjoy being handled by one man.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. First you talk to yourself then THAT gets effed up. Well, damnit I'm not doing a bunch of device shi'ite for a penis joke.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually you would be surprised with the petal drive system. I've been down the sheyeanne and red with mine if it gets shallow I just use my paddle and if it looks like I'll hit bottom I just pull the pedals out. Have yet to get them hung up on a tree yet really just don't be dumb and your fine. About 99% of the time I just put them flat up against the bottom of the hull and go. The back rutter if u hit something will just come up after so much tension is put on it as I had the same thought that I would end up ripping it off. Overall very durable and stable. I've even put my little one on the back of it and gone for a spin for awhile.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that's some good info wkndwarrior, but that whole business about NOT being dumb.....I don't think I'm capable of living up to that. Thanks for the reality viewpoint. I'll give them another look. :;:thumbsup

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been going to sport shows for a few weeks now and I am seeing a lot of booths with companies selling kayak fishing setups so this must be considered a growth market. I am in Cedar Falls right now and there are two or three at this show.

I hope get actually use mine this year now that I have almost everything I will need to make it work.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wind on the Sheyenne is less of a problem than open water or even the red. A kayak on some of my perch sloughs would be AWESOME!!! The possibilities make me smile.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33