House Bill 1151- Prohibiting baiting bans

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m fine if they ban it but then it needs to be statewide and a permanent ban . Not just for hunting purposes

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As I understand g&f can regulated how one hunts but cannot tell one they cannot put feed out. They do not have the power to stop feeding, only hunting over it. If they did, they would.

Got an email from g&f on my archer tag.
First question did you hunt?
Answer no, end of survey. db

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the electronic was going to be green go ahead and hunt. Yellow ask, shoot all the geese/coyotes/whatever just don't hunt this or that species. And red.

I should have step over or went around that pond of shit.
Happy you think that. The crap we have now sure could be improved. The idea of red, yellow. green woukd sure be an improvement, and would have shown it wasnt a hate sportsman bill. It would also be nice if they could add dates. Like red Sept 1 to Jan 1. That would give the nod to coyote hunters etc.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do the bait bans in 2B only apply in select scenarios - not all scenarios? Food plots definitely increase contact, but they’re legal. Explain please.
1674048396332.png

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is one more thing to worry about. I shot a Coyote this fall walking in the ditch. I turned around to have it on the drivers side. When I drove up to it, I said to myself, it has to be blind. Now I think I know why.

By: MTN NewsPosted at 4:11 PM, Jan 17, 2023 and last updated 5:18 PM, Jan 17, 2023
GREAT FALLS — Three juvenile grizzly bears in Montana tested positive for highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus this fall, according to Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks.

The agency said in a news release on Tuesday, January 17, 2023, that the three bears - one near Augusta, one near Dupuyer, and one near Kalispell - were observed to be "in poor condition and exhibited disorientation and partial blindness, among other neurological issues."

The three bears were euthanized due to their sickness and poor condition.

These were the first documented cases of HPAI in grizzly bears. A fox and a skunk in Montana also tested positive for HPAI last year, and the virus has also been found in raccoons, black bears, and even a coyote in other states and countries.

“We suspect these mammals probably get the virus from consuming infected birds,” said FWP Wildlife Veterinarian Jennifer Ramsey.

Avian influenza (AI) virus is a naturally-occurring virus in birds. AI viruses are classified into two groups, based on the severity of disease they cause in infected poultry. Low pathogenic AI viruses generally cause no clinical illness, or only minor symptoms in birds. HPAI viruses are extremely infectious and fatal to poultry and some species of wild birds.

Although the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention considers risk of HPAI spread to humans to be very low, Montanans are advised to take precautions when handling game birds, sick or dead birds and mammals they find. Whenever possible, avoid contact with sick or dead wildlife. Even if an animal is not suspected to have died from a contagious disease, gloves should always be worn if a dead animal must be handled for disposal.

FWP staff would like to know about unusual or unexplained cases of sickness and/or death of wild birds and animals by calling their local wildlife biologist or the wildlife lab in Bozeman at 406-577-7880 or 406-577-7882.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I question everything. Was it the bird flu that made them sick or was it the tin can they ate from the landfill? Just testing positive for something doesn't mean that is the cause of their illness. An alcoholic could test positive for HIV, but it was cirrohosis of the liver that killed them.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m guessing bowhunter success went down in the ban units. Provable one would think. NDGF have the stats - no?
They don’t have unit by unit data on archery as it’s a state wide tag. The best they can do is call you ( like they have done to me) the last two years as my wife’s heads were at a taxidermist they tested them ( both negative) they called to let me know and ask the unit ….. I said there isn’t a unit they said what rifle unit I said I bet you would l bet you would love to know, eh that’s as good as they’ll get

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
on the bird flu in mammals thing... i know it might seem cruel at the time. but, seems like the better solution than euthanizing would be to let it run its course and give their immune systems every chance possible to adapt. would be a strange approach if we just put down every human who was bed ridden with the flu. not sure why its any different with the mammal world.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a side note fellas I consented to 0 of these tests I got a letter saying my “ head tested negative” so I being curious called and said well I didn’t submit a head and that’s when they let me know they go around and sniff through every taxidermist out there……. And test those heads…. Yep that’s how they do it zero consent

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can’t get enough voluntary heads they legit waste taxpayer dollars to pick up road kill and snoop through taxidermist a in the name of the deer herd

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one has seen a very sick CWD emaciated deer in the wild. Game and Fish response:

"that is because they are slower and coyotes get them before they are clinical".

I would surmise, deer that are infected with no clinical signs are a tad slower than healthy deer.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm about a 12 pack into it tonight so I'll have to get back to this tomorrow. Party on Dudes!!!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
To read submitted written testimony,

https://ndlegis.gov/assembly/68-202...y/bt1151.html?bill_year=2023&bill_number=1151

What is funny is that some get in a hurry and will hit support or oppose and then rant testimony in the other direction of the option they selected.

If you do submit something, they proof it before they post it. May take as long as the next day. Don't wait until the last minute. Click on the box saying submit testimony. Follow the prompts.

Search:
DATETIMEHEARING TYPECOMMITTEEROOMDESCRIPTION
01/209:00 AMBill HearingHouse Energy and Natural ResourcesCoteau ABRelating to baiting deer for huntingSubmit Testimony

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fritz:
I have read a number of the comment. I believe as of now 17 oppose of the 75 who wrote in. And one did write in favor of the bill but check oppose??

Hard to believe but at the same time it shows to the confusion. For me i have try to write in but find i am unable to. Do not know why so i just accept my shortfalls even as big as that is (old). I have written in by letter.

But those oppose, the common statement is we need to accept the experts as they know best. Plus, the science shows baiting kills deer (well yea, for me by an arrow)

I have yet to see the science and experts in any field do not have all the right answers and for sure not on this subject. They promote because they need to do something. (For me, over the years, g&f have shown their lack of knowledge and ability to reason).

For those who support, statements are made on ethic shots and youth involvement.

Hopefully those who attend hit on these reason and others to support this bill. I feel with the right person, the right words, the right presentation and reason we have a good chance of passing. (Again, i feel the right presenter can win the battle with common sense statements) db

Last edited:

wct12

Fritz:
I have read a number of the comment. I believe as of now 17 oppose of the 75 who wrote in. And one did write in favor of the bill but check oppose??

Hard to believe but at the same time it shows to the confusion. For me i have try to write in but find i am unable to. Do not know why so i just accept my shortfalls even as big as that is (old). I have written in by letter.

But those oppose, the common statement is we need to accept the experts as they know best. Plus, the science shows baiting kills deer (well yea, for me by an arrow)

I have yet to see the science and experts in any field do not have all the right answers and for sure not on this subject. They promote because they need to do something. (For me, over the years, g&f have shown their lack of knowledge and ability to reason).

For those who support, statements are made on ethic shots and youth involvement.

Hopefully those who attend hit on these reason and others to support this bill. I feel with the right person, the right words, the right presentation and reason we have a good chance of passing. (Again, i feel the right presenter can win the battle with common sense statements) db
I believe tomorrow there will be some very good testimony uploaded. Due to them updating it twice a day, it might not post until Friday AM, but there will definitely be some good ones to take a look at then, along with the great ones that have already been submitted!

Seems a decent chunk of opposition has come from associations or foundations from out of state.. or from in state without the input of due paying members

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers are lobbying hard. From their website:

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/north_dakota_opposes_nd_hb_1151#/308/

They even list the contact info of our Reps serving on the Energy and Natural Resources committee.

They write,

“Hunting, trapping, and fishing and the taking of game and fish are a valued part of our heritage and will be forever preserved for the people and managed by law and regulation for the public good.”

H.B.1151 is in direct violation of the North Dakota constitution, North Dakota State Law, the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, the mission of the North Dakota Game and Fish, and a breach of the public trust doctrine that all wild deer in North Dakota belong to.

1674105919903.png

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone tell me something about the thingys?

This is a simple question for me. Do we really want the legislature to use such an extreme measure to stamp out a policy otherwise left entrusted to hired professionals in the executive branch? I don't think I'd support something like this on any topic...healthcare, agricultural practices, etc. Regardless of my feelings on hunting over bait, this is a very bad precedent.

You don't like the policies of NDGF? Well, just remember that we already have controls on them. They respond accordingly to the Governor since they fall under the executive branch of the State. This, in some fashion, sets up a showdown between the governor's authority and the legislature, and to some extent, the willingness of the Governor to listen to the NDGF experts. Just remember...any ban on hunting over bait is in the Governor's signed proclamation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74