Hunting 'Unposted' Private Land

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a picture before you enter. There are many good landowners, but some will try to trap you. I know three or four that think it's funny to post about 11:30am on opening day of deer season.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread just makes we wanna put up more no hunting signs.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDbowman: don't use the handle bowman, and say something like that! I THINK YOU SAT ON SOME PLASTER OF PARIS AND LET IT DRY---You hard azz!

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's only a matter of time before ND is like other states, noone will have to post land and is considered posted! Personally I don't own any, but my dad does and other good friends do. Every year there is some A hole that says oh I didn't see the sign but had to walk right by it or park their truck next to it. So it's them asshats that ruin it for all. Honestly, what's it gonna hurt to just be polite n go ask for permission? The worst that could happen is they say NO to land u didn't have permission to access in the 1st place. Personally, I've had great success gaining access! Just my $.02.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the love of God V, just nuke this effing thread. For all of us.

- - - Updated - - -

No one, least of all me, gives a damn about your stupid opinion bad rep bandit. You can call me a whiner all you want but you're the cowardly little shit that won't make even sign his name to internet point demerits.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think a “peace of mind” app called green light/red light for hunting access is in the future. Ill stick to fishing and coyote calling on land i know is peaceful until then. Stress is for work, not things you work for to enjoy.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always equate stories that start with I heard of a guy who........with hold my beer and watch this. If true it should be in the court report for that county for the tickets given.

I find fishing more stressfull than hunting as I don't have to deal with people while I am out hunting

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread just makes we wanna put up more no hunting signs.
Don't let get to you NDbowman. Look at the comments that say there are a lot of good landowners, but. That means a few are not. Like all other humans not all are good people. You will find that not all teacher's, police, biologists, doctors etc are good people.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always equate stories that start with I heard of a guy who........with hold my beer and watch this. If true it should be in the court report for that county for the tickets given.

I find fishing more stressfull than hunting as I don't have to deal with people while I am out hunting

Exactly. I can't think of a single one of these type of threads where the OP was up front about everything. From the new boat to the game warden pirated ice holes. They never do anyone any good. And people wonder why human to human relationships continue to get worse.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's only a matter of time before ND is like other states, noone will have to post land and is considered posted! Personally I don't own any, but my dad does and other good friends do. Every year there is some A hole that says oh I didn't see the sign but had to walk right by it or park their truck next to it. So it's them asshats that ruin it for all. Honestly, what's it gonna hurt to just be polite n go ask for permission? The worst that could happen is they say NO to land u didn't have permission to access in the 1st place. Personally, I've had great success gaining access! Just my $.02.
And at that point the game and fish will have to be fully funded by the legislature because it no long will be funded by license sales. just food for thought.

- - - Updated - - -

We also need to put a stop to those that lease the land from posting it. They don't own it. We need to require only the Owner to post land. If the owner doesn't post it then they obviously don't care of someone hunts it. This would eliminate about 50% of all land being posted I would believe.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What happens when a jackass hunter meets a jackass farmer? Purebreed Not.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like most here I'm sure, I've had way more positive experiences with landowners then bad. Problem is it's the bad ones that seem to stick with us and I'm sure it's the same for landowners.

I'll share a positive one.......

I was bow hunting quite a few years back on some PLOTS land. Took a shot at a decent buck right at end of shooting time and was bit farther back then I'd have liked. Backed out and started tracking the next morning. It crossed onto posted land and I went to ask for permission to continue. Older farmer, my grandfathers generation, was in the can when I knocked on the door. His wife invited me in and offered a cup of coffee while I waited. He finally comes out and we discuss the situation while he has his breakfast and I finish my coffee then he not only helps me track the deer but field dress it and load it into my pickup. They were some of the finest people I ever met and I hunted his land for a few years always showing my appreciation with a gift at Christmas time.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
+100 NDSportsman. Respect goes a long ways. When I've been granted access to Posted land, I always will give a gift or offer help with something. Just $20 to the local café for example I think is really appreciated. If I harvest any game while I'm out, I will always offer some up as well. Also, as the HUNTER, you need to make sure the land isn't posted, drive around it a couple times to make sure. Don't ruin it for the rest of us you shit heads!! As far as people Posting if after they see someone on it, well, I hope you are proud of yourself!!

andyb15

Established Member
Our family owns a quarter of CRP about two hours from where we live, so we don't get there except for opening weekend of deer season. My dad always gets a gratis tag we have hunting towers setup to just sit there and enjoy the deer hunting and scenery. A couple years ago a guy swung by where we were staying and said he had wounded a buck on our land. We asked why the hell he had shot at a deer on our property that he didn't have permission on.....He said he figured since he went to high school with my dad that he was good to go, even though he hadn't talked to my dad in 15 years....We have one quarter of land that we have access to hunt and some people have to try ruin the one weekend a year I get to hunt with my old man. We've since talked to a local family and they keep an eye on the property and are allowed to hunt it all year except a week before rifle season. And our land is clearly posted.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The amount of dumbassery is sure to be compounded this year with low pheasant numbers. As others have said, show some respect for private land and before you hunt a piece of land, drive around FIRST to look for posted signs. Don't be the guy that says "well the signs old and I can't read the name" welp, I'm good to hunt then! Never hurts to knock on a door either even if the land is unposted.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of folks who post the day of or week before deer season. I guess I have no issue with that. Their land is open to hunters outside that window. They aren't doing it to be funny, maybe they just want to not have rifles blasting all over hell or want to hunt deer for themselves or freinds/family?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
this practice is nothing new. I had this happen to me while out deer hunting a few years back. He just drove around and drove the signs in and left. Didn't stick around for some reason. Yesterday I went to hunt a small piece I have hunted for years. It's right on the corner of two section lines. The one is a prairie trail that doesn't even go all the way through the section. I came in from the east and turned onto prairie trail section line and stopped. a minute later a pickup pulled up alongside of me and asked if we were going to hunt it. I figured he was going to ask if he could hunt it with us. I told him yea we were. He then went on to tell me it was posted. I said it surely wasn't and I turned around and looked out the back window at the corner of the two section lines. I then said I don't see a sign there on the corner where it needs to be and that I've hunted it for years. He then informed me it was posted a couple hundred yards to the east. I drive by this land all the time since it's one mile from my house. I told him there wasn't a sign there saturday morning when I drove by. He said I know I'm the land owner and I just posted it yesterday afternoon. I bit my lip and I think he could tell I was. He finally said yea go ahead and hunt it but we hunted it yesterday lol. I said nah forget it and left. I think we need to clamp down on this stuff. There is no reason to not have these signs up two weeks in advance. Think that has to change. And I think we need to have laws that prevent prosecution of people if land isn't posted properly. It's getting out of hand.

Do you understand that even if land isn't posted and a landowner comes up to you and asks you to leave his property you are required to do so? Now, anyone that would post land after someone is on it and then try and get someone prosecuted for trespass is an ass. By the same token people that go onto posted property or who try and use any loophole they can find to go on property they know is posted are also a-holes.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been chewed out on land that i had permission to hunt on by the neighbor or some local guide. I had one land owner furious to learn that his neighbors kids were in the land he gave us permission to hunt. We also had a similiar thing happen with a slough back in the day. It wasnt posted and then the farmer came up and posted it. We just sat tight -- he called a sheriff they both sat out on the road and waite for us to come out. We waited em out until they left and then came out one at a time towards dark -- decoys never weighed so much. No phones back in that day --- our vehicle was parked in a buddy's yard accross and down a ways. Never got a call from the sheriff ----- buddy said that it was the landowners kid that just wanted to piss with us.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12