gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
:) Hope everybodys havin a great day!!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 things stick out on this thread so far…first if and that’s a big if the OP’s story is completely factual then yes the landowner is a douchebag…but he does have the right to do so, unfortunately it is a risk you take hunting land without permission…posted or not

Our family owns a quarter of CRP about two hours from where we live, so we don't get there except for opening weekend of deer season. My dad always gets a gratis tag we have hunting towers setup to just sit there and enjoy the deer hunting and scenery. A couple years ago a guy swung by where we were staying and said he had wounded a buck on our land. We asked why the hell he had shot at a deer on our property that he didn't have permission on.....He said he figured since he went to high school with my dad that he was good to go, even though he hadn't talked to my dad in 15 years....We have one quarter of land that we have access to hunt and some people have to try ruin the one weekend a year I get to hunt with my old man. We've since talked to a local family and they keep an eye on the property and are allowed to hunt it all year except a week before rifle season. And our land is clearly posted.

Second is Andy’s scenario see this all too often in small town ND where just because you know a guys name you think you have permission to hunt something…most of the time this is the reason the land is posted in the first place.

I have a few places where I am allowed to hunt but most of my foraging is unposted public land, common courtesy goes along ways however in today’s world it doesn’t go as far as it used to…there are those out there that have been burned in the past and hold a grudge deep to all those that want to hunt…bottom line know you area , know your land posted or not it’s always a good idea to get permission

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Set up to shoot mud hens? Am I missing something here?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long lake refuge is a big body of water so when the op states they crossed on to private land to access the area that is a very general description of an area in question. Also according to the long lake refuge website the long lake body of water and adjacent land is closed to hunting of migratory birds.
www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/llnwr_hunting_regsmap_webversion_feb07.pdf

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long lake refuge is a big body of water so when the op states they crossed on to private land to access the area that is a very general description of an area in question. Also according to the long lake refuge website the long lake body of water and adjacent land is closed to hunting of migratory birds.
www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/llnwr_hunting_regsmap_webversion_feb07.pdf
the long lake thing is interesting. my boss's family owns a piece that is surrounded on three sides by the refuge. It's been a few years since they hunted it but they have hunted it numerous times. He said they always get talked to by the feds but they always tell them to make sure they stay on their land. I'll have to tell him this maybe he can look into it and see what the hell the deal is.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we learned anything from the dapl protest is that trespassing charges are nearly impossible to be convicted on and the state has to prove you knew it was posted. Even when the protestors were told they were on private land and would be arrested if they did not leave once they went to court the charges were dropped because the state couldn't provide evidence needed for a conviction.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Gst how many young hunters are on the list this year, I do like that you help out the young group.

Had two youth hunters in this fall both whacked their does. Will likely have some opportunities for late archery as well. LOTS of dead deer last spring when the snow melted but there seems to be a few around.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we learned anything from the dapl protest is that trespassing charges are nearly impossible to be convicted on and the state has to prove you knew it was posted. Even when the protestors were told they were on private land and would be arrested if they did not leave once they went to court the charges were dropped because the state couldn't provide evidence needed for a conviction.
Maybe in that case . My neighbor had a guy give him the - I wounded a deer excuse last yr but He called sheriffs office anyways and he got charged n convicted for criminal trespass $125 fine . Gf needs to take the part out about being able to get a wounded deer on posted cuz it ain't true . Criminal side of it trumps the gf side . U go on to get a wounded deer without permission and guy has no trespassing signs up your screwed

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you shoot a deer on public land and it runs onto Posted land and dies, you have every right to retrieve your animal. You cannot have a weapon with you though so if it's wounded yes you are screwed.

From Deer Hunting Guide on G&F Website:

Any person may enter upon legally posted land (without a firearm or bow) to recover game shot or killed on land where he/she had a lawful right to hunt.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been chewed out on land that i had permission to hunt on by the neighbor or some local guide. I had one land owner furious to learn that his neighbors kids were in the land he gave us permission to hunt. We also had a similiar thing happen with a slough back in the day. It wasnt posted and then the farmer came up and posted it. We just sat tight -- he called a sheriff they both sat out on the road and waite for us to come out. We waited em out until they left and then came out one at a time towards dark -- decoys never weighed so much. No phones back in that day --- our vehicle was parked in a buddy's yard accross and down a ways. Never got a call from the sheriff ----- buddy said that it was the landowners kid that just wanted to piss with us.
This reminds me of another incident about 25 years ago. My brother and I were deer hunting a neighbors quarter that he never posted but there were posters up on it this year which seemed strange. Anyway we had got permission from him before so we were sitting in our truck having some coffee and lunch one morning after walking some of it. A truck comes pulling in along side us and the guy asks us why we are hunting his property without permission and starts the usual BS tough guy routine. Didn't know who the guy was but didn't want to get into a big argument over it at the time so we left. That night we went to talk to the owner. Turns out the guy was a neighboring land owner who had posted the land without his knowledge. We drove the owner over to the other guys place and had a nice cordially chat. Needless to say that guy changed his ways after that episode. :D

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you shoot a deer on public land and it runs onto Posted land and dies, you have every right to retrieve your animal. You cannot have a weapon with you though so if it's wounded yes you are screwed.

Any person may enter upon legally posted land (without a firearm or bow) to recover game shot or killed on land where he/she had a lawful right to hunt.

Correct however “Posted No Hunting” is different from “ No Trespassing” and what bandcounting is saying is there is a difference in the eyes of the law G&F would most likely let you retrieve an animal however Sheriff would site you for trespassing

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Best to get permission first. If denied access contact a Warden or sheriff to encourage the individual to do the right thing. ;)

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a good point. If the sign says "no hunting or trespassing without permission", I wonder if this G&F law actually applies. Confusing.

LAHLAH

Actually... that "asshole" farmer DID put the signs up the evening before. Unfortunately farmers are incredibly busy with harvest and don't always make it to a store to buy and get the signs up right away to make your lives easier. BTW I was on the phone with him when he was supposedly just putting the signs up and he was saying "what the hell, don't they see me" thinking they would come to the pickup and he would ask them to leave, but they never did, hence the game warden showing up. Even after all the trespassing, stealing, littering, destruction of property... he has put up with over the years, he tried getting a hold of the states attorney to drop the charges (realizing it could have just been a mistake that they missed the signs), not sure if he will try again.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a good point. If the sign says "no hunting or trespassing without permission", I wonder if this G&F law actually applies. Confusing.

No it doesn't . At that point it's criminal trespass . Even if gf doesn't give guy a ticket he will get criminal trespass . People don't get it no trespass means none for any reason ..... 0 .... now having said that , if I get a call from someone before they go on my property I'm letting them on 10/10 times . But ask first is a must . Don't risk it

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Private land 101

1. phone calls generally do not work -- 3% -- you might get that guy/gal that just inherited the property; if its a good hunting spot somebody has already tied it up - -generally relative or neighbor.

2. Get your ass chewed --- been their --- 90% of the ass chewers are actually nice guys. You would be surprised of the percentage 40% let you hunt their land after you bs with them.

3. Ass chewing -- I dont try to hunt private posted land that i dont have permission to hunt on. (well not all the time that is). Anyway - ass chewing ussually happens on a piece that isnt posted correctly, isnt posted, the other side of the fence argument, section line -- about 99% of ass chews are on questionable pieces of property.

4. Shorthairs are the exception to the rule --- 90% of the time a shorthair is going to pop on private posted property --- they dont care - they just smell a bird. 99% of shorthairs born can somehow magically miss the bbs that is propelled out of a farmers shotgun.

5. Saturday afternoon and nights are a good night to go hunting on private property. 80% of the landowners are in town

I am full of Sht and you know it ---- have fun hunting boys --- i am tied up for a few more weeks --- then the lower unit is dropped and then short will be in the field.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually... that "asshole" farmer DID put the signs up the evening before. Unfortunately farmers are incredibly busy with harvest and don't always make it to a store to buy and get the signs up right away to make your lives easier. BTW I was on the phone with him when he was supposedly just putting the signs up and he was saying "what the hell, don't they see me" thinking they would come to the pickup and he would ask them to leave, but they never did, hence the game warden showing up. Even after all the trespassing, stealing, littering, destruction of property... he has put up with over the years, he tried getting a hold of the states attorney to drop the charges (realizing it could have just been a mistake that they missed the signs), not sure if he will try again.

like paul harvey said and now the rest of the story

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12