Ice reports

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be coal lake east of underwood had walkable ice. It was froze as far as I could see last week and hell with this cold should be making ice quick. I have never fished it but heard the summer eyes were on the smallish end lots of 12-13" stuff but if you after ice and some dinner there's probably one of the safer options. Geese do keep that sucker open in the middle but I couldn't see any open spots

- - - Updated - - -

Access is suppose to be from the south. By the haul bridge road but access may be the tricky part on coal lake as well

wow - serious? Walleyes in there???

My brothers and I used to trap muskrats there in the 70s - before school - mom would wait in the station wagon. We were in junior high and grade school at the time. Good times... some of the best memories of living in Underwood.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep 4-5 years ago it started I hear people catch perch and small walleyes I'm planning on hitting it up this winter with my boys once the ice is a little safer but ahah I'm I think access will be a bitch

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I gotta run down to Bismarck Friday...may stop on the way back and check thickness on Audubon. But yea access may be tough...won't be able to get to the 3 Mile Corner bays even with the 4x4. Will be a challenge even getting to the south bays on the refuge.

Looking forward to it.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bump. Anyone hear any ice reports from anywhere near the southern border? I'll be in Ashley this weekend and hoping to get out somewhere that will be safe!

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also heard that there were guys on Darling fishing at Grano. I can't confirm this but I think I might drive up and take a look after work today. Will let you guys know what I see tomorrow.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Bump. Anyone hear any ice reports from anywhere near the southern border? I'll be in Ashley this weekend and hoping to get out somewhere that will be safe!

Not sure where but I seen a SoDak guide promoting that they'll be rolling next week.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allot of the southern ice and central for that matter is only a couple days old and made up in large part by snow ice! that shit will be sketchy at best even with -15 temps. furthermore any lake that built up snow on top is risky as hell. In this situation Confucius say "don't be first one breaking Trail"!

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed Dean, I rarely am the first one out on the ice....I guess I may have to try for some yotes instead!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not for long with the amount of ice we are dumping into her right now! be curious to see how far the ice pack develops over the next few days. I doubt it will make it to you guys but Yates isn't out of the question. wonder how long before a hippie finds out how weak snow ice on a creek is the hard way?
grantmarshwest.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the amount of hippies that were in town yesterday i think they are all getting out of dodge. If the wind would die i think we could have ice this weekend but the wind not blowing is like the hippies showering not gonna happen

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tobacco to the tank is froze all the way across as of this morning choppy ice on the shore to 50 yrds out then smooths out a litttle

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you need any other proof that this shit is insanely risky I give you exhibit A.

IMG_20161208_105709524.jpg

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy at work showed me a picture from last night of a pickup that apparently tried to drive on detroit lake haha! Made it about 10 feet.

- - - Updated - - -

My first thought was - how has this dude survived this long?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy at work showed me a picture from last night of a pickup that apparently tried to drive on detroit lake haha! Made it about 10 feet.

- - - Updated - - -

My first thought was - how has this dude survived this long?

Get.png

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not even all that thrilled walking the edges of sloughs for roosters. Already soaked my toes a couple times breaking through the sheet ice on the edges. I'll be waitin' this out for a while. NO PERCH is worth getting neck wet over in single digit temps.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed river pushing ice as far north as washburn dean, theres no end in site with this cold. are coldest nights and days are yet to come this week. rivers gonna look different by early next week

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
OAHE just skimmed over last night and yesterday at Fort Yates. Yesterday it had open pockets and a lot of slush ice had formed north of town. South of town mostly slushy but open. Last night skimmed it over and I could see no open water this morning, but I didn't get to look south very good. After today it should be making solid ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 159
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57