It is official

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been going steadyish for about 8-9 months now. No real diet plan - just watching closer - less fried and smaller portions are the bulk of it for me. Been working out steady as well. Cardio with weight training mixed in. I am running more now than I ever have. I am to the point now that if I don't work out for a couple days or eat bad for a couple, I feel like shit. It is amazing what your body will get used to. Started at 215 and weighed in this morning at 190. My goal starting was 185. I haven't weighed 185 in almost ten years. I'm 6'1" and 29 years old. Unlike past attempts at diet and other programs, this has been a slow and steady change for me. I don't see myself wanting to stop anytime soon. Best of luck to those attempting something like this. Consistency is key.

I'm on the same page; I started watching what I eat, how much, and trying to exercise 4-5 days a week basically one year ago. I cut 30+ lbs and just felt better all around. back down to my college weight. Went from 185lbs to 150+-. Actually wasn't embarrassed to take my shirt off at the lake for the first time in 10-15 years! I slacked off for about 2 months and made excuses for myself not working out which went hand in hand with eating crappy. Stepped on the scale and I was back to 160 lbs. Started back into it about 3 weeks ago and back to 153lbs and feeling better. Skipped this morning and slept in an extra hour and already mad at myself! Indeed, it needs to be a life style and attitude change if it's going to work. My wife has been the catalyst making this change. helps to have a partner doing it along side of you. I will say, as guys we have it way easier than women. She has to work much harder at it to see results than I do and oh does that chap her!

My vice is booze though! I love a good whisky but switched to alteast drinking those with diet coke and also changed my beer intake from Budlight/Coors Light to Michelob Ultra. It all makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

So yeh, I'm that guy buying 4 cases of mich ultra at the liquor store and yes it's for me, lol!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
need to clarify something. ketosis is a metabolic or maybe chemical state that your body enters when it isn't taking in enough glucose for energy so it starts burning fat. you typically get your glucose by breaking down carbs (sugars and starches). cut those down to a certain level (some say %) and then your body turns to its fat reserves for its glucose. ketones are produced when the body turns its fat to glucose. "keto" is simply sort of a fad word that has become associated with a type of diet that encourages your body to start turning fat into glucose. so, this isn't necessarily a "fad" diet. its something that has been known forever. it became mainstream a while back when atkins got popular because some people started becoming aware of the changes in their body when they were on high protein, high fat, low carb diets. it is noticeable. i notice it from a slightly tangy taste in my mouth. after reading about it, i think its caused from the acid build up. but, after it happened the first time and i was talking to a buddy in the medical field who was actually in the first challenge with me, i was able to tell almost immediately the next couple of times. and it most certainly was correlated with an increase in weight loss. the first time it happened it wasn't intentional and i was shedding a pound every 2 or 3 days. and it wasn't water weight.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love straight liquor but it's nasty bad for your throat... or I wouldn't mix at all.

Ask the Rat Pack about swilling straight booze every night.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love straight liquor but it's nasty bad for your throat... or I wouldn't mix at all.

Ask the Rat Pack about swilling straight booze every night.
Moderation my friend, and don't pair that scotch with a cigar.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
need to clarify something. ketosis is a metabolic or maybe chemical state that your body enters when it isn't taking in enough glucose for energy so it starts burning fat. you typically get your glucose by breaking down carbs (sugars and starches). cut those down to a certain level (some say %) and then your body turns to its fat reserves for its glucose. ketones are produced when the body turns its fat to glucose. "keto" is simply sort of a fad word that has become associated with a type of diet that encourages your body to start turning fat into glucose. so, this isn't necessarily a "fad" diet. its something that has been known forever. it became mainstream a while back when atkins got popular because some people started becoming aware of the changes in their body when they were on high protein, high fat, low carb diets. it is noticeable. i notice it from a slightly tangy taste in my mouth. after reading about it, i think its caused from the acid build up. but, after it happened the first time and i was talking to a buddy in the medical field who was actually in the first challenge with me, i was able to tell almost immediately the next couple of times. and it most certainly was correlated with an increase in weight loss. the first time it happened it wasn't intentional and i was shedding a pound every 2 or 3 days. and it wasn't water weight.

Did you say you were working out hard thats when i ran into a problem. I would crash when doing longer hikes with weight in my pack and my reps were down on other exercises i kept track of. With about 100 or so grams of clean carbs it made a world of difference for me in both results and felt energy. At that point though i didnt want to loose weight and was even trying to put a few pounds of muscle on.

- - - Updated - - -

and if i am going to drink which i hardly ever do any more. It is guiness or the sort i will just drink water if i had to drink mich ultra

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Do you know what happens if you "fall off the wagon" Like with Thanksgiving and Christmas meals ? (like I do) Does your body switch back and forth easily ? We eat very similar to the keto diet but didn't know what keto was till now.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you know what happens if you "fall off the wagon" Like with Thanksgiving and Christmas meals ? (like I do) Does your body switch back and forth easily ? We eat very similar to the keto diet but didn't know what keto was till now.

from what i have found it is dependent on the person kind of and most say no one meal is not going to throw it all the way out. Zac Griffith has been doing it for a while and has some good info. I will warn people he wears flat brim hats and is a high energy guy but the info is good. Here is a bunch of videos to pick through
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...xBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=zac+griffith&fr=yfp-t

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wasn't working out. still ain't. but, i am not dieting anymore either. pondering it i guess cause i wouldn't mind being in that 175 range. however, i am comfortable at 190. regarding switching back and forth. i ain't sure how it works with everyone. but, it takes me a while each time to get back to that point. i would say close to a week. but, i exited it almost immediately as soon as i changed my diet. turkey weekend would most certainly do it. but, i would be done after just one long night or two of busch lattes. which was the hardest part. someone touched on it earlier. but, vodka and water or soda water is one way to avoid beer carbs wrecking it.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's not uncommon to have the "keto flu" when you first enter ketosis. You'll feel like shit for a few days, or even up to 10 days according to some Dom D'Augustino. The keto flu also includes that hangover and groggy feeling you get after eating meals. If you can get past that, it's smooth sailing you'll feel better than ever... plus the post meal hangovers go away for good.

Real problem is it's a very disciplined diet to stay in true ketosis.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i wasn't working out. still ain't. but, i am not dieting anymore either. pondering it i guess cause i wouldn't mind being in that 175 range. however, i am comfortable at 190. regarding switching back and forth. i ain't sure how it works with everyone. but, it takes me a while each time to get back to that point. i would say close to a week. but, i exited it almost immediately as soon as i changed my diet. turkey weekend would most certainly do it. but, i would be done after just one long night or two of busch lattes. which was the hardest part. someone touched on it earlier. but, vodka and water or soda water is one way to avoid beer carbs wrecking it.

To be honest last winter and summer i hardly ever stepped on the scale when i was training hard as i was more about performance than my weight. At one point started to feel a little weak and was down to 165 so i added 500 more cals a day and up to 170 was where i feel the strongest at. I think if you added just 30 minutes 3 days a week of resistance training you would be amazed at the results. A simple kettle bell program is very efficient. The feeling i get after lifting is addicting and i felt bad if i missed a couple days

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can gain 10 lbs in a good "indulge weekend". Moderation isn't even in my vocabulary. The only way I can see results is to eliminate the alcohol and shit food on the weekends. For my lifestyle, and family and friends, that means becoming a hermit. Or being really pissed off all the time...

Before my elk hunt this year I did that, was a hermit for 2 months. Dropped 23lbs in 2 months. First time since probably grade school I have went that long without a drop of alcohol. Felt great, but didn't have a life at all. After my hunts I still maintained the workout part (although not as physical), but went back to bad boozin and eating on the weekends and gained 10-12 lbs back like it was nothing.

I've been up and down so many times in my life it's crazy. I'm meant to be fat. Not sure why I keep fighting it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
sugar is mine i can eat the shit out of sweats. This time a year i feel like a crack head walking through south central temptation on every corner. haha

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
sugar is mine i can eat the shit out of sweats. This time a year i feel like a crack head walking through south central temptation on every corner. haha

I can't even imagine eating the shit out of anybody's sweats !!!! :eek:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good info , Thanks for sharing. Bread is my downfall , My mom was a baker by trade so I was hooked on it from day one. I ate out of a lunchbox for 30 years after that. Two Sandwiches, a bag of chips,candy bar or granola bar and a thermos of coffee. I never really craved sweets that much but the candy bar gave me energy Not all bodies are the same either, I've jokingly said a 12 OZ can of beer will put 6 OZ of fat on me but I know a few guys that have been pickled every since I can remember and have probably drank more beer than I have coffee but they are skinny as a rail . This Keto thing has my interest , Going to slowly nudge myself that direction until after Christmas then go for it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha its 2017 you cant judge me.. stupid auto correct sweets damn it sweets

I thought for sure I was having a panic attack from sugar withdrawals from cutting back from edible panties. Those buggers are filling especially when you have to eat the whole xxl pair before you get to eat some pie.
In all serious cutting back on carbs of any kind is the number one wieght gainer and if you drink it actually makes losing wieght twice as hard. Alcohol slowed down your metabolism as much as half depending on your consumption.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
caveat... i don't think you can just cut carbs and hope to lose weight. in other words if you take in 2500 calories/day now and simply change those calories to protein and fat, your body might burn its existing fat for energy. but, it is still going to turn your daily caloric intake into fat to be used later. i could be wrong on this. but, i did both. reduction in calories and a change in the type of calories.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
i did both. reduction in calories and a change in the type of calories.

This is basically what I did as well. Heck, just cutting out pop was a huge calorie reducer for me. I went through different macro calculators and all were coming up roughly the same for what I should be having and went with that and tweaked as I went along. Each person will be different.

Also keep in mind that as you drop weight, you will need to revisit your caloric needs as that will go down as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14