Just a funny story (wild animal encounter)

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this story came up tonight, and I did some diggin and found the pics burried on my puter.

Years ago I was fishing the tailrace with a buddy, and as usual we were fishing late at night and caught some walleyes. We head to the cleaning station, I get out and of course its pitch black out so I'm feeling my way in the dark for the light switch. Out of nowhere somethin jumps up on my legs, and of course I scream. My buddy yells WTF! you ok!? "yeah, I holler, its just some body's dog" so I kneel down and start petting it, "good boy" "oh good dog, such a good dog" scratching his head n ears, fingers in the mouth, chewin on my thumb, pawing up all over my legs for attention etc... Reach up, find the light, flick it on....IT'S A DAMN RACCOON!!!...I scream again, stumble backwards, fall down, come crawling out from behind the table....again, my buddy yells, WTF?! whats wrong with you!? and immediately after, here comes this damn raccoon. Then he screams, and hides in the pickup. After I compose myself, I relaxed a bit and talked my chicken shit buddy into getting out and tossing the critter minnows to distract it until I could get one fish cleaned and throw him the carcass to keep him busy long enough so I could clean the rest.

Now I know you're not supposed to feed wild animals, but it was the only way to keep the thing from climbing up my legs and diggin thru my pockets for scraps. Not sure if this was a released "pet" or just a coon that didnt give a ____.

coon1.JPG
coon2.jpg
coon3.jpg

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The second scream is the greatest! Laughed out loud and got a look from the wife. Great story!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I don't believe I would've stayed as calm and I know for sure I wouldn't have been nearly as accommodating. Although, not sure I'd have had the courage to stick around, I might've just decided to clean fish @ home.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good story MSA, just can't make something like that up plus you have picturesThumbs Up

Huff if you guys ever want to chase some eastern ND coons I know where there are lots of big fat ones in my area. That must be a blast working behind dogs

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy I hunt with had a pet coon in the 70s. Name was Cassius.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy I hunt with had a pet coon in the 70s. Name was Cassius.

I had one in the 70s. Her name was Cooner. Real original I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Her brother Rocky met his fate by laying on a warm engine. Fan blade to the nose.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here kitty, kitty, kitty................... That's why when I fish in the dark I always have a headlamp on. Saves you from shitting in your pants.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have pics but I also have a funny tailrace story. Back in high school I used to fish the shoots at night fairly regular since I did not have a boat then. Any ways one night a buddy was with and he was eating sun flower seeds. I told him that there is a lot of mice around so he should keep his bag of seeds in a bag and don't leave it on the ground. Well of course he did not listen and around midnight he was sitting down and tying on a crank bait. He had his bag of seeds right between his legs. I came walking up and seen that there was a mouse chowing down on his seeds right between his legs. I told my buddy hay look you have a little friend. He stared frozen at the mouse for at least ten seconds. So being the great friend that I am I decided to move things along and stomped my foot. The mouse jumped on my buddy and ran up his leg all they way to his chest. He screamed like a girl at a horror movie and had better moves than Micheal Jackson. I must of laughed for an hour.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the late 1950s I had two pet coins, Ringo and Ranger. I was not real popular with my dad's cousin who was out rural mailman, well not for a week or two anyway. I seen him coming one morning and I stuffed Ranger into the mailbox. She was so big she just fit in our oversized mailbox. I hid behind a couple of trees to watch the show. When he opened the box she was up his arm and in the car before he could blink. They are darn fast for a short distance. When he rolled out of the car yelling I knew it wasn't as funny as I thought this whole thing was going to be.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pocket gopher in the live state. put in service box on plumbers truck. They come out like a rocket.

love2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in high school we use to go into empty grain bins at night and take pigeons off of the inside ledge. Not sure if its a fact or what but them birds don't fly at night at least in my experience. After we'd catch them we'd put them in mail boxes of our favorite people... never did get to watch them open it though but i'm sure its was funny as one would imagine. Also use to make a noose out of fishing line that was attached to a fishing pole and put around gopher holes... when they'd come up we'd pull and it would go around their belly... gopher on a rod is a pretty funny sight. They'd bark and run around until eventually coming off.... oh the good o'l days

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, a couple years ago I had a whole family of coons try to get into my popup blind one evening. SOB's even knew I was in there.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll tell you another one about coons, but I will not tell you who it happened to since I am sure some of you know him. Back in the day when outhouses were the thing this guy got one the size of a icehouse. Not wanting to dig a hole under the whole thing he dug the hole under the back half. This left a space of about 3X6 feet under the front about a foot off the ground. Well these two coons he had were free roaming and when winter came they often hibernated in an old thrashing machine. Until it got real cold it was anyone's guess where they hole up for the day. Anyway this guy sits down for his morning chore and a coon reached up and about tore the family jewels off. The first rocket man.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a tailrace story, but down on the Sheyenne in VC, I had a rather large coon waltz right between my legs while I was standing on the bank casting. Saw him coming from at least 30 yards and wanted to see how close he'd get. Figured that was about as close as you can get without wearing him for a hat. Goofy thing kept walking back and forth behind my heels and on my toes ALL NIGHT. He didn't even look up when he passed me. Got to the point I felt a bit sorry for him so I tossed him a bullhead. That made him happy and he left. Saw him several times throughout the summer and each time he got a bullhead. Big SOB, but I never saw any aggression of any type so we got along famously. He did like his bullheads though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38