Keeping hole open

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0954.jpgIMG_0954.jpg. Trying this setup this weekend the water will be circulated by a small 12 volt pump much like a windshield washer pump through the coil then distributed evenly to the four holes.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You routing it to holes inside or outside the house? If in the house you may create a big lake.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

Changing the sub a little, heard a report of a guy drilling a hole at Northgate Dam and the water came out running, ice must be sinking from weight of the snow

That has been the case at a few spots here on the river around Fort Yates

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
bad-idea-04_09_15-920-5.jpgbad-idea-04_09_15-920-5.jpg. Trying this setup this weekend the water will be circulated by a small 12 volt pump much like a windshield washer pump through the coil then distributed evenly to the four holes.

SO you are taking in new water constantly or recycling a loop in each hole?

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pulling water out of one hole and distributing it back into four. Don't know if it will be enough or just a fart in the wind.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if you had a one-way valve like a gas line ball pump if it would draw up its own water. If it would boil in the coil I think it would work. Might pulse a little. Sorry.....mcgyver thoughts.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if you had a one-way valve like a gas line ball pump if it would draw up its own water. If it would boil in the coil I think it would work. Might pulse a little. Sorry.....mcgyver thoughts.

Yep my thoughts too but coil has to be lower , I have a teeny little propane engine block heater that I have played with quite a bit with the same concept. On an open system It will percolate a great plenty of water but it only has a couple inches of draw/lift , On a closed loop system where it has a flooded draw it will circulate a bunch. I was always scared of fire so I mounted it a ways away from the engine and throw a blanket over the engine and it will always be toasty in the morning with no circulation pump .

Last edited:

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good idea, will try it as I may need a primer bulb to get it started and to pump air to prevent from freezing up when off

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, I tried my contraption today, holes stayed nice and clean, however, I'm not sure you would need the coil in the heater. Maybe just drawing the water from lower in one hole and circulating it would do the trick. Not sure I liked the pump noise, but I will figure out how to quite it down. Fishing was ok at Mt. Carmel nice batch of perch and couple of Walleye.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a way to use compressed air, not sure the whole logistics of how long the tank would last but you could get one of those power packs that has a compressor and a power source to fill it up when empty. Nice work sir
update even better would be a high pressure 12 volt water pump

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
684A5C98-D8AD-4E51-9B8F-FAD43C68A362.jpg

Saw this neato contraption on Instagram the other day. Think I might build one for a tip up and try it out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just tell her you won the lottery. Seriously though moving water does not freeze very easily.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33