Long range shooting

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah Man, that sumbitch is pretty "beep beep zip tang."

summereyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Late to the party on this but I'm shooting a 300 Tejas which is basically a 300 Rum with the shoulder moved up and flattened out to allow for more powder. Shooting a 210 Berger VLD at 3250 Fps, I have shot it out 1100 yards so far but I have heard of kills at 1600 yards with this round. I had about a 10 to 12 inch group at 1100 yards.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently just start getting into long range shooting/hunting. I have a custom 338 RUM and now I'm in the works of building at 6mmAI. Both will be hunting guns. Its a very interesting and fun hobby so far. Expensive though! Longrangehunting.com is an awesome website to learn tricks and trades of the long range game.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A question of rifle rests: chatted with a nice guy at the range a couple weekends back, suggested a great way for getting the most accuracy from the bench is having a proper rifle rest. Apparently I need something that enables the rifle to come strait back instead of jumping or torquing as the recoil sets in before the bullet leaves the barrel. I understand I won't be shooting from a bench in the field but I need to be able to identify what my rifle is capable of. With lake city 149gr I'm getting about 3 MOA off a crappy bipod. There's greater vertical variation in my group and my brass pile is 8 to 9' across so I know the loads aren't consistent. I'm just practicing at this point.

so... Rifle rest recommendations? It's an AR10 so I need room for a magazine and pistol grip.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless it is load development the beach and rest is useless. Practice in field conditions and learning to drive the rifle will take care of recoil. When done properly you should not loose sight picture in the scope. Frank gali on snipershide has some great videos on proper recoil management. His on line training is also a great tool .

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stand flat footed and shoot 8 inch steel plates at 200 yards with no rest. Once u can do that consistently ur good to go for hunting.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
so... Rifle rest recommendations? It's an AR10 so I need room for a magazine and pistol grip.

At the range I use the Caldwell Tackdriver with my AR10. I like it quite a bit. I also use one of those wedge-type rear bags.
I make sure to have covers on all my rails so that repeated recoils don't tear the bag up.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a cheapass. Been looking at some "precision" rifle rest options. Think I might just go this route:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AT4Q9Q/?tag=nodakangler10-20
image.jpg

I'll throw a sandbag under the buttstock. The rifle has a long, free-floating handguard around the barrel. Think I'm going to devise a saddlebag-type sandbag weight I can throw over (but not directly on) the barrel to reduce recoil.

somebody please poke holes in my ideas. Appreciate the input.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
KIMG0291.jpg

Shot at 700 with a pos bipod and my pack as.a rear bag. Unless you are using that just for load development or maybe a tracking.test of the scope practicing off of it is of no use. Unless you plan on shooting bench rest then it would.get you started.

- - - Updated - - -

Also.cheap and precision long range shooting are two words.that don't mesh.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to see that to believe groups like that at 700. Wow haha! Those are nice groups at any distance haha.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a cheapass. Been looking at some "precision" rifle rest options. Think I might just go this route:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AT4Q9Q/?tag=nodakangler10-20
barbara-eden-jeannie.jpg

I'll throw a sandbag under the buttstock. The rifle has a long, free-floating handguard around the barrel. Think I'm going to devise a saddlebag-type sandbag weight I can throw over (but not directly on) the barrel to reduce recoil.

somebody please poke holes in my ideas. Appreciate the input.

Caldwell stuff isnt that good. i have caldwell rest and it is a cheap POS!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow I didn't get real impressed until I noticed that 700 yard target is three separate three shot groups all under 1/2 inch. That's great shooting.

That's what I thought at first. Each shot has a "k" pencilled in next to it. It's a mystery why they chose to pencil a "k" next to the shots... but it's just one 3-shot group. Plenty impressive for 700 yds.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I thought at first. Each shot has a "k" pencilled in next to it. It's a mystery why they chose to pencil a "k" next to the shots... but it's just one 3-shot group. Plenty impressive for 700 yds.

K =Kurt?
Enlarging internet pics doesn't work so good. On the phone it looks just like a three shot group.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha i zoomed in and see now that its one group.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is.just one group about 5 inches so it is still under moa. Other people were shooting to so that is why it is labeled. Shot in half value 15 mph winds so I was happy with the group considering I haven't shot since deer season last year getting this new house all.finished up. But the group was not.really the point of the post the point is practice how you will actually shoot in the field.

- - - Updated - - -

If I could.shoot 1/2" groups at 700 I probably wouldn't be playing on the interweb all the time.

TravisC

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a sweet long range setup in the classifieds if anyone is interested load develpment is already done

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: so I finally have my long range catapult set up. After some study and watching Todd Hodnet work, I settled on laying flat with a bipod, bean bag under the buttstock to control elevation. Got out to practice @ 100 yds this afternoon. This group is unimpressive for match ammo from a bolt gun, but I was shooting surplus Lake City 149gr from a semi-auto :^D

if this is what it does for a rookie using military ammo, I can't wait to stretch it out with handloads!

Attachments

image.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you done a.tracking.test on the scope. Can have best ammo in the world but if your turrets don't.track it doesn't matter

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88