Long range shooting

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you done a.tracking.test on the scope. Can have best ammo in the world but if your turrets don't.track it doesn't matter
Not yet. Had several rifles to zero so I only got a little time with each gun. I actually don't plan on using turret adjustments in the field. It's an MOA dot reticle. Unless at extreme ranges, I'll stick to holdover and leave the turrets alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you shoot the ruler on purpose?
I actually did that with the Glock @ 100. I probably shouldn't carry any more, for the safety of bystanders.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to stop freaking bystanding and duck. It's like the left lane deal. That's fine pistol craft.;)

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We gotta talk.
I've thought about this. If the holdover is too great, I'll use the top dot to zero. If it's still too much, I'll just back off the magnification to keep the target in the picture. Man, I should quit my job and be a sniper. #internetmercenary

- - - Updated - - -

(Actually, the above method could work for extending your drop range if you had a first focal plain reticle or held to a fixed magnification with a standard 2nd focal plain and you centered your crosshairs at like 400 yds. However, your ranging math would get a little trickier.)

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've thought about this. If the holdover is too great, I'll use the top dot to zero. If it's still too much, I'll just back off the magnification to keep the target in the picture. Man, I should quit my job and be a sniper. #internetmercenary

- - - Updated - - -

(Actually, the above method could work for extending your drop range if you had a first focal plain reticle or held to a fixed magnification with a standard 2nd focal plain and you centered your crosshairs at like 400 yds. However, your ranging math would get a little trickier.)

dude, just use the damn turrets. Way easier.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would use turrets. I use holdover dots for my 204 for coyote calling but spinning turrets is much more accurate.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use turrets that are customized to my specific bullet, overall length, and powder charge. Just range the target and adjust the turret to the appropriate yardage. No need for charts on the butt of stock this way either. This simplifies long range shooting and is very fun.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use turrets that are customized to my specific bullet, overall length, and powder charge. Just range the target and adjust the turret to the appropriate yardage. No need for charts on the butt of stock this way either. This simplifies long range shooting and is very fun.

what do you do when you want/need to change bullets?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, You would have to shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds to get pert near as good at holdover as you could be right off the bat using the elevation turret. That said , For the type of shooting I do I always treat a sidewind with a dose of kentucky windage.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, You would have to shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds to get pert near as good at holdover as you could be right off the bat using the elevation turret. That said , For the type of shooting I do I always treat a sidewind with a dose of kentucky windage.

yup, wind is crazy voodoo magic that does the unexplained to bullets. I practice Kentucky windage as well

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
what do you do when you want/need to change bullets?

I prefer one gun one load. If i was to switch bullets then i just will have another turret built based on that bullet. I also have an m1 (minute of angle) turret on my .243 and they work great too. You will need a chart though with that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
kentstdogpile2.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
dial for elevation hold for wind. I have shot a few hold over stages where your not allowed to dial and its never as easy as it seems. You also have to make sure your reticle sub tends otherwise you will be out to lunch.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
dial for elevation hold for wind. I have shot a few hold over stages where your not allowed to dial and its never as easy as it seems. You also have to make sure your reticle sub tends otherwise you will be out to lunch.

Ditto. When you get old and stupid you sometimes turn the windage the wrong direction. I'm experienced at that. ;:;banghead

I prefer one gun one load.
Enslow I prefer 40 guns and ten loads for each. Seriously though what do you do for subsonic loads?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hart243AI.jpg

Brux22250AI.jpg

STA70037.jpg

Too much talk not enough pics..

- - - Updated - - -

STA72671.jpg

If my wife can spin turrets..... anybody can

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA