Long range shooting

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
dial for elevation hold for wind.

Perfect for old guys or mentally challenged. Maybe I fit both. :) I have a couple of MOA first focal plane scopes. Now I have about a dozen and a half mildot I would like to dump. Only one problem ------- cash.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jumping both feet into long range shooting mounted up my scope today. I have bore sighted it. Will be using factory recoil reduced ammo. Hoping to be shooting 1400 yards with this setup.

Attachments

image.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use turrets that are customized to my specific bullet, overall length, and powder charge. Just range the target and adjust the turret to the appropriate yardage. No need for charts on the butt of stock this way either. This simplifies long range shooting and is very fun.

So if you have a turret that fits your cartridge here in North Dakota at 2500 ft what do you do when you hunt something at 9000ft?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jumping both feet into long range shooting mounted up my scope today. I have bore sighted it. Will be using factory recoil reduced ammo. Hoping to be shooting 1400 yards with this setup.

1400 why even bother with that set up you might as well start at 1762 to have a little challenge. The bsa isnt even challenged till you go over a mile. And just saying rpr the steel rings its self at 1000 yards. I read about it on the rpr facebook page....haha

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see any need for parallax adjustment for anything inside a mile. The reduced velocity shouldn't hurt anything either. BSA = GTG

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see any need for parallax adjustment for anything inside a mile. The reduced velocity shouldn't hurt anything either. BSA = GTG

Parallax .......the bsa eats parallax for breakfast and pisses crystal clear excellence well past a mile

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'v been hunting my whole life and have killed many a deer and coyotes. I tried the long range deal once and set up a 3 ft by 3 ft thousand yard target. I still have no idea where my boolits landed.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'v been hunting my whole life and have killed many a deer and coyotes. I tried the long range deal once and set up a 3 ft by 3 ft thousand yard target. I still have no idea where my boolits landed.

i would say not having a bsa is your problem maybe give nc star a try to or if you want the real shit counter sniper scopes have a reticle in a reticle with tritium unobtainium outstandium illumination

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would say not having a bsa is your problem maybe give nc star a try to or if you want the real shit counter sniper scopes have a reticle in a reticle with tritium unobtainium outstandium illumination

Nikko Sterling you ignorant heathen!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if you have a turret that fits your cartridge here in North Dakota at 2500 ft what do you do when you hunt something at 9000ft?

Well i hunted the rockies in montana last fall and prior to the hunt i entered the possible changes in elevation into my ballistics program and found for those elevations my turret was fine. When i ordered my turret i entered in the elevations for ND hunting. I also did some practice shooting in the mountains and was able to hit boulders out as far as 630 yards very easily over the backpack. If i was to plan a hunt where i was in elevations that made a big difference in the charts I would either order a new custom turret or simply buy an M1 turret. I prefer my custom turrets because i do not need a chart taped to the side of my gun. I do have an m1 turret on my .243 and have a chart taped to the stock.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow what do the customs cost, around $80? I guess I have sort of done the same thing with a 22-250. Cheap though. A Piece of white tale wrapped around the turret and labelled.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That depends on the scope. anywhere from 60 to 100 bucks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19