Making ice

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big time,frost your nutts morning, glad i got my house buttoned up,plow hung,all set,might pony up for a battery auger and retire my 25yr old strike master and maybe a new one man thermal clam as my two man trap sled has had better days.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gonna be a few weeks yet...IMO. Even the smaller lakes (Darling/Audubon) looking at temps the next 10 days prolly be 2 more weeks before we have fishable ice.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big time,frost your nutts morning, glad i got my house buttoned up,plow hung,all set,might pony up for a battery auger and retire my 25yr old strike master and maybe a new one man thermal clam as my two man trap sled has had better days.
I bought an electric with 10 inch shaver blade, but my old 8" chipper works fine on it also from my old gas auger... best of both worlds

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an electric with 10 inch shaver blade, but my old 8" chipper works fine on it also from my old gas auger... best of both worlds
What make Lycan?,so many options today,nixed the Kdrill,strikemaster? Ion?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have the old Ion version. Cuts really well when clean ice, dirty ice and the blades are done in no time. Reason why I picked up a Kdrill. Only used a few times last yr. Very light and quick.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope we get good clear cold weather to build solid ice before we get dumped on.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
It's happening...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took a drive around noon today. I plan to try Golden Pond Sunday. Pelican Lake was froze over with a few small open spots, half of the north end of 6 mile bay was froze. Main bay and majority of the Minnewaukan Flats were ice free.

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even If the forecast is correct is still think we have lots of walkable ice by next week.
Ice is gonna build fast. The lakes already had an inch of ice on them a couple weeks ago. So the water temps are down. It ain’t gonna be long

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drove around Audubon today about noon. Just about everything on the south side, bays on the SE, east and north side of the lake are frozen over with about 3" of ice out about 25 yds. Didnt have the cahunnas to go out any farther than that. Main part of the lake was wide open. Should be able to walk out within the week. Sak had about 4-5' waves on it. Dont think we will see any fishable ice on Sak for a while.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a partial screen capture of the Climate Prediction Center's interactive webpage.

Basically, it's suggesting we have an above normal chance for above normal temperatures going into December.

1701028788892.png

With a slightly above normal chance for precip.
1701028821373.png

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Holy shit it is going to be above freezing for 12 hours this week...may as well get the boat back out. Just kidding. The ice I walked on on Friday is another inch and a half thicker, but the damn wind opened the center of the lake back up. SOON...

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove from Devil's to Deer Camp (Karlsruhe), to Beulah, to Dickinson. I was hoping to wet a line in Golden Pond this morning, but there were still some open spots. Devil's lake had the cold steel look so that should close soon. Every slough was frozen over, except Round Lake had an open patch in the middle. No sign of ice on Audubon or Sak. Both water bodies had a green tinge to it so they still have a ways to go. Both lakes in Dickinson are frozen over. Someone did the rock test (it passed) at the Game and Fish ramp. Looking at the forecast, the Twinions, Tator, and I will hit the ice in Dickinson next weekend!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84