March Blizzards

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember well the March of 66 blizzard. Nasty amount of snow and wind. If i recall correctly it lasted 3-4 days and then a couple of days to clean off the roads and the farm yards.
We were calving at the time and Dad and i went on 12 hour shifts sitting in the calving barn and also feeding the livestock. Dad put a rope up from the barn to the house as once you came around the barn you couldn't see 1 foot in front of you. Distance from house to barn was pretty close to 100 yards. So one could have easily got turned around and went the other direction. We had a great shelter belt with high and low trees to the West and the North but that didn't matter as it was blowing so hard it just piled up in the yards.
When it was all over we had to get the County to come in with their pay loader as our loader was in the quonset and it was a round top quonset. The darn quonset was covered up with snow! Guessing it was all of 20 feet tall in the middle. Wish we could have gotten pictures of it.
Most of the fences in the yard were well covered over with hard pack snow so the cattle once the wind quit could walk over the fences wherever they wanted. Was not a happy time trying to get the snow away from the fences so they wouldn't climb over them. Man a modern day 4 wheel drive tractor and a big snow blower would have been priceless back then.
It wasn't terribly cold being in March but the wind made it feel cold and it felt like the snow was going to go right through your face when walking to the house. Nasty is all i can say.
Never lost a critter to the storm but had lots of frozen eggs in the chicken coop.
Remember the County blade and the operator had the V plow on and he would back up about 100 yards or so and hit those big snowdrifts that were any place from 10 to 20 feet tall wherever something would block the wind a little. He would come flying up there and hit it with the V plow and maybe make a 6-12'' dent in it. Sometime the snow would drop over the top of the V plow if the bank was too tall and he would be stuck. He had to get out and shovel the snow out from behind the V plow so he could back out of there. Wasn't a happy time believe me. Felt sorry for the guy but the equipment back then didn't have much power and it also was not a 4x4 or 6x6 wheel drive either. His chains didn't help much either as didn't have the power to pull yourself backwards from the snow over the V plow.
Hope the one they are talking for the weekend doesn't bother us too bad.
Stay home if it is bad as it isn't worth dying over to try and get someplace! Also would be risking the lives of others who would go out to save you.
Anyone else have memories of the 66 storm?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I won a car that winter -- my parents pic of me on the car and drifts well over the car. Parents sold that car - mistake ---- anyway i cant imagine the storm and my parents didnt have a snow blower.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I remember we had sun and some clouds in northwest part of state

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, was a sophomore in HS. Lived in the northern part of ND and we didn't get it as bad as other places but still plenty of snow. At that time we also did not have many livestock on the farm so it was mostly an inconvenience for us. Roads were blocked so it was stay at home for a few days and watch 1 or the 2 or 3 channels we received on TV. It was probably about that time when I really became interested in pinochle and whist. Didn't play much whist later in life but I'm pretty sure I was qualified for a minor in pinochle by the time I graduated from college.

Is it just me or does it seem like we don't get the high snow drifts like back then. According to the weather we receive about the same amount of snow most winters.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lived in Hankinson at the time. My Dad worked for the power company and he was gone all 3 day restoring power. I remember him coming home after the storm. The Boom truck was following a big bulldozer and payloader. It was like 50 above day after the storm.

The spring of 97 when we got all the rain and snow in April was bad to. Just about every town in S.E.N.D. lost power. I was in Fargo for the weekend and there was no power. Had to go to the truck stop at the West end of West Fargo to get fuel as no one was open if you didnt have a generator. That was the yr that home generators took off. There were so many song birds that died that spring. I seen where the Snow Geese were flying so low they were hitting the power lines and dieing.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember the 97' storm well...I had been on the driving range at Souris Valley GC 2 days before the storm hit. We ended up with 15 to 18 inches in Minot...set the golf season back 2 weeks! We're not supposed to get that much with this one on Sunday/Monday are we???

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty much like BBJ. rope from house to barn to milk cows. Our pole barn for the beef cows was filling up with snow so we drug the cows to the main barn one at a time. Didn't have running water in the barn so my job was watering cattle all day. You take a 1200# cow and a five gallon bucket didn't last long. When storm was over you could change the bulb in our yard light standing on the rock hard snowbank. You even had to bend over some. We had bare ground in places and as luck would have it the A John Deere with the crows nest loader and snow scoop was real close to one. Dad run that thing for a week before we got to the township road. National Guard opened up the roads about a week later. There were people in town that had snow-planes and they would run food and meds to people stuck at home.Everyone helped each other and we got through it. Had snow in the shelter belts until May. Don't want to go through that again so making sure today that we are ready if it gets bad. Plenty of back up stuff nowdays.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I see the forecast for the Minot area for Friday night thur Monday is a wintery mix of rain and snow, think I will go and start my Generator and make sure it runs ok, just to be safe

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
As Yoda says, "Old we are".
Yupum and it's tough to get excited about anything. I checked my Fitbit stats on my phone. I'm doing some serious security today, have had at least six cups of coffee and have not eaten since 6:30. Does my heart rate look like I am excited? Screenshot_20180301-110635.jpg

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yupum and it's tough to get excited about anything. I checked my Fitbit stats on my phone. I'm doing some serious security today, have had at least six cups of coffee and have not eaten since 6:30. Does my heart rate look like I am excited?laura_vandervoort_007.jpg

so is that info collected by your phone or are you wearing a bracelet?

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been waiting to hear what they are forecasting for SW ND. Weather underground is showing this (hopefully it loads larger):

Capture.JPG

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fired up the generator, hauled some wood to the bin, plenty of propane, adult beverages stocked up and no job. Let er buck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88