March Blizzards

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Model runs have about double since yesterday.

de78dc4bc5f54fcbcc1994e8a98e9475.jpg

some duck down in la is jumping up for joy. Some walleye in DL is saying - i am going so far north that no boat or bank rat is going to get me. Its going to be a $hitty spring.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was 14 in 66. So I did a lot of shoveling. We actually enjoyed the storm, no school. But no doubt the rural people really got slammed. 66 was the year with no deer or deer season. Pheasants were pretty much nonexistent after the storm.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember the 66 storm like it was yesterday, A couple days earlier Dad came home with a 1964 larson Snowmobile , I got to drive it around the yard once then in the shed it went and he tore it apart and raised the seat higher for ice rods and tackle storage underneath. I spent a lot of time the next few days sitting on it pretending I was riding . Being in the hills with lots of trees we could always see the out buildings and barn. By the time the storm was over I had made stairs steps down the snow bank to the barn door . We had company from MN that got stormed in at our place and we had a big rug loom so the old timers made rugs and I had to take my turn on one side catching the spool of material then send it back to the other side. Tarp strapped a shovel to the larson and dug it out many a time before we finally got a trail made to ride around the yard. Maintainers were small back then but they could still go through a lot , County boys put V plows on them every fall up here.

- - - Updated - - -

Please tell me this isn't referring to snow totals in inches?

Is dead center inside the 18'' bullseye ?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lucky for me Davey I just moved out of McClusky.... doesn’t look good for them.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not excited...so is this gonna wreck the remaining ice season? Everyone gonna have to walk out after this unless you got a sled or wheeler with trax?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the castle types freeze down like the old houses did ? Might be some water on the ice with that much snow.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not excited...so is this gonna wreck the remaining ice season? Everyone gonna have to walk out after this unless you got a sled or wheeler with trax?

Don't forget that auger extension while your walking out! I'll probably have my last outing tomorrow and maybe sunday morning, weather dependent.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much as I'd like it to be spring; 1-2 feet of wet snow would be a great thing for most of ND.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Exactly BRK! Couple of us hitting Sak tomorrow...might be last outing for a while. So guys that have wheelhouses out on the ice may want to pull them in today or tomorrow!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Best get those big heavy house off the lake tomarrow or you could have trouble later.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah hell it's March so it can let r buck because one way or the other winter is heading out the door and spring coming in. Looks like the ice line on the river has started to finally push south at a decent clip and we are approaching bare ground in the fields so we could definitely use the water. Probably not the best thing ever for the pheasants but I'll take the benefits to the ducks, deer and walleyes anyday.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate snow especially heavy wet snow. But we need the moisture. Just wish the temps were higher and we could get rain instead.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Exactly BRK! Couple of us hitting Sak tomorrow...might be last outing for a while. So guys that have wheelhouses out on the ice may want to pull them in today or tomorrow!

Yah...I sure would think that with the March 15th deadline to get the ice houses odd the ice that anglers will be busy this weekend getting them off the ice. Audubon looked like a little city on ice last weekend. With that part of the state in the bullseye, could be a mess after this storm.

Stay safe everyone....no acts of stupidity!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
bring it on mother nature lets do this looking forward to 154 inches of snow with freezing rain and hurricane force winds.... sounds kinda fun so dont disappoint us like all the other times we are told to be ready for armageddon i am ready.

(that is reverse psychology i dont want any of that)

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No doubt we need the moisture...I second what Paddle said...everyone be safe. And if you have a chance to hit the ice today or tomorrow...enjoy!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
moisture is always better when the GROUND is not frozen -- how much does this do the soil good -not much. We have ground frozen down deep this year. I would rather see little or no snow ---and a nice warm spring with rains after planting thank you

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yah...I sure would think that with the March 15th deadline to get the ice houses odd the ice that anglers will be busy this weekend getting them off the ice. Audubon looked like a little city on ice last weekend. With that part of the state in the bullseye, could be a mess after this storm.

Stay safe everyone....no acts of stupidity!

Yep! Took mine off on Sunday in preparation of this weekends potential snowfall. Didn't even get stuck Thumbs Up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33