Mass shootings...

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe it's just me, getting older, but has anyone else noticed...
Up until about the mid 1980s, when we realized someone was "crazier than f**k," we locked them away from the rest of us. Then, we decided that was "an infringement on their rights," and started letting the "crazy as f**k" walk the streets, with nothing more than a pinky-swear that they would stay on their meds. Pretty soon, you have crazies fucking crazies, and surprisingly, those kids are beyond fucked up too...
Someone makes someone feel bad, and 10 people are dead...

Seems like about 90% of these shitbags have had interaction with police, FBI, etc, in the past, but we're so afraid of trampling on their rights that we just let them roam the streets until they shoot up some place.

I can't remember which event it was in recent weeks, but some 19ish-year old killed some people. Less than a year ago, his MOM called police and said he was going to kill someone, either himself or others. For those of you not familiar with mothers, they will justify just about any behavior in their children -- if a mother calls you and says her kid is broken, you should believe it. But, authorities walked away, and kid killed some people.

Just a rant, but 35 years ago everyone had a rifle hanging in a rifle rack in the back of their pickup. Nobody was randomly killing 10 people or more. Crazy people were where crazy people belong -- separated from our rest of us.

Anyway, guns don't kill people -- crazy people with guns, either illegally obtained or legally obtained because several people were too chickenshit to label you as crazy, do.

Last edited:

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think social media/internet/24 hour news cycle all play a huge role in this as well. Everything we are surrounded by is extreme because that’s what gets the clicks. We have become completely desensitized to daily run of the mill tragedy. So, someone that desperately needs help doesn’t get it because normal cry’s for help go unanswered so these people go extreme.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with most of what you said, however, I don’t know who gets the right to call someone crazy… does it need to be a legal psychologist or who? If we let anyone call anyone crazy and with the snap of a finger their gun rights are gone, that could be dangerous. Look at politicians like AOC or Ilhan Omar, I guarantee they would abuse this power and label entire groups
of people from ever owning a gun again. It’s a very slippery slope and there isn’t one correct answer. I do agree that crazies need to be taken seriously and not be danced around. I just would hate to see people abuse the power to zap other’s rights. But then again, people don’t abuse power do they???

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What if someone labels you crazy for no reason? How do you protect against that?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think social media/internet/24 hour news cycle all play a huge role in this as well. Everything we are surrounded by is extreme because that’s what gets the clicks. We have become completely desensitized to daily run of the mill tragedy. So, someone that desperately needs help doesn’t get it because normal cry’s for help go unanswered so these people go extreme.
This is exactly correct. Many years ago most of the country probably never would have heard about most of these shootings. There's millions more people now too so even more wacos out there then ever before. The "news" now days just loves hyping up every tragedy no matter how small. Most of these "media" outlets have an agenda they are pushing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a rant, but 35 years ago everyone had a rifle hanging in a rifle rack in the back of their pickup. Nobody was randomly killing 10 people or more. Crazy people were where crazy people belong -- separated from our rest of us.

92yrs ago, Valentines Day massacre. 55Yrs ago, Charles Whitman in the clocktower. 43yrs ago, Jonestown. 37yrs ago, McDonalds massacre. 35yrs ago, the Cokeville, WY miracle. Look up the term, "Going Postal", that started in the 1970's.

There's always been folks who do "crazy" things.

I have't a clue how a society might go about "putting the Genie back into the bottle" that is fame and notoriety as some will do absolutely anything to achieve them.

Last edited:

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All stems back to discipline which is non existent these days! I left a marriage and two boys a few years back because of this very thing! My thoughts on how to handle discipline were different than hers and I didn’t want anyone to end up dead or in prison, so you lick your wounds and move on, life is much more peaceful now! The law have us old schoolers pinned up in a corner and there isn’t a dam thing anyone can do about it! I prefer to just stay as far away from people as I can because all of them are crazy, yep that means you me and the really crazy people running the world we live in!
People been shooting people and killing people since the beginning of time.
My advice these days is be cautious of who you piss off today.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mass shooting have always been a part of society, there is actually more then one may think on any given day. The media and its white man bad narrative only concentrates on the ones that fit that narrative. When liberals take away God and single mother household things will never change.

- - - Updated - - -

NnCFEWW5.jpg
Example

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is the truth on mass shootings, there are lots worse places to be than the USA when it comes to mass shootings.

"There were 27% more casualties per capita from mass public shootings in EU than US from 2009-15"

Mass.PNG

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don't think I could agree more Don. People have a new avenue, to achieve their 15 seconds of fame. This, and now we hear about bad news on the other side of the world, instantly. Used to be that we didn't have the evils of the world beamed into our living rooms (or even phones) 24/7.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the truth on mass shootings, there are lots worse places to be than the USA when it comes to mass shootings.

"There were 27% more casualties per capita from mass public shootings in EU than US from 2009-15"

IMG_5491.jpeg

This chart is interesting. I would have thought we would be higher up on the list. I'm glad we're not.

I wonder, if the fact that many many Americans have guns, has anything to do with this. I mean, you can't run around holding a group of people hostage, and not expect one of them to be packing. Maybe this chart should be more well-known. Maybe the Democrats would see that the existing gun-laws are keeping us safer, rather than making it more dangerous to be an American.

Then again, that would be asking for a political party to use logic and reason, and that WOULD BE asking a lot.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Turn your back on believing in that guy in the clouds" they said.

"It'll solve all the problems because humanity alone can solve all our problems" they said.

- - - Updated - - -

What about when someone inevitably labels you crazy for no reason? How do you protect against that?

FIFY. In these times it's simply a matter of when.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shake my head every time I hear one of these terms of endearment so valued by the main stream media. The definition is more fluid than my throne sits after a meal of Mexican food and a night of hard drinking. I think Chicago has a mass shooting every weekend along with most larger cities. However that doesn't fit the narrative or have the shock value I guess. Evil is unfortunately prevalent and bad folks do bad things. The more people reject Gods Law and remove Him from our society, the worse it seems to get. Coincidence?? I think not.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
in north dakota we have some pretty decent systems in place that prevent you from being labeled crazy and affecting your firearms rights.

you need to be assessed by a professional who decides you need to be court committed. if you go on your own, that generally avoids the court process and firearms restrictions. you are assigned an attorney. you entitled to a hearing where the judge makes the ultimate decision. if the case is dismissed before the end of the preliminary stage (14 days) despite an initial report of exam labeling you "crazy" (not the legal term), the firearm restriction doesn't apply. assuming there is an ultimate finding of "crazy" at an actual treatment hearing or after a waiver (admitting you are crazy), i believe the restriction automatically goes away 1 year after the termination of the order. most of ours are 90 days unless extended by the court. so, we are looking at a roughly 1 year and 90+ day firearm restriction for the first time official crazies...

short answer is someone can't just call you "crazy" and affect your firearms rights. not yet in ND anyway.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how many people avoid seeking counseling because of the "crazy" label?

I think the judgmental nature of peers is part of it and firearms restriction just adds to it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This SanJose shooter used two handguns and 11 magazines in this shooting. All California compliant too, aka 10 round mags. So a state with one of the most strict gun laws let this happen! The question is what is next????? Newsom and Xiden are preaching that something has to be done , but what could have really prevented this specific tragedy?

The San Jose Mayor comes out and says they need to impose an insurance mandate to gun owners so the financial burden is not on the public taxpayer dollar. So imposing a new tax on law abiding gun owners is going to somehow prevent criminals from conducting crimes with firearms?!?!?! Since when is it about the $$$$??? It’s all about taking away your rights disguised as Helen’s policy. Man these democrat politicians are DUMB!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This SanJose shooter used two handguns and 11 magazines in this shooting. All California compliant too, aka 10 round mags. So a state with one of the most strict gun laws let this happen! The question is what is next????? Newsom and Xiden are preaching that something has to be done , but what could have really prevented this specific tragedy?

The San Jose Mayor comes out and says they need to impose an insurance mandate to gun owners so the financial burden is not on the public taxpayer dollar. So imposing a new tax on law abiding gun owners is going to somehow prevent criminals from conducting crimes with firearms?!?!?! Since when is it about the $$$$??? It’s all about taking away your rights disguised as Helen’s policy. Man these democrat politicians are DUMB!

Gun Control Act of 1986 was signed by Ronald Regan. Believing anything other than that nearly all of the "R's" are also eyeballs deep in the belief that "We the People" need to be disarmed is folly.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with most of what you said, however, I don’t know who gets the right to call someone crazy… does it need to be a legal psychologist or who? If we let anyone call anyone crazy and with the snap of a finger their gun rights are gone, that could be dangerous. Look at politicians like AOC or Ilhan Omar, I guarantee they would abuse this power and label entire groups
of people from ever owning a gun again. It’s a very slippery slope and there isn’t one correct answer. I do agree that crazies need to be taken seriously and not be danced around. I just would hate to see people abuse the power to zap other’s rights. But then again, people don’t abuse power do they???
You are exactly right...it is a slippery slope. I'm talking about the "bonafide, completely off their rocker, if you say their name all police officers know who you're talking about because they've had 37 interactions in the last 6 months" kind of crazy. Not the regular guys who have a "if there was a Purge" list:;:, but the ones who have a six page list they've taken the time to write down...
I don't know what the answer is, just know there are a lot of people on the streets who shouldn't be out there. I'm not saying certain people shouldn't have guns, I'm saying certain people should not be free to roam around at all.

Kind of like when you read a "sex offenders in your area" notification where it lists "he was convicted of this in 1997, this in 2003, and this in 2017. High risk offenders are considered the most likely to offend again," and you go WTF???

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dunno man. It absolutely SHOULD be extremely hard to get on some type of watch list. If even one person is falsely accused and put on a list or thrown in a mental institute and has all their rights stripped away because Karen down the road doesnt like them its one too many.

I dont know what the answer is but i can guarantee you going down the path of labeling people crazy and unfit is a super slippery slope. Since the beginning of man, we've had to deal with a certain amount of evil and will continue to do so regardless of the amount of laws put in place

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago, I "took the cure". I knew I had an addiction problem with alcohol, and it was up to me to fix it. I tried by myself several times, but just didn't have the willpower. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I thought long and hard though about seeking professional help, simply because I wasn't sure that I wanted my record to show that I sought help.

Ultimately I did, and I entered myself into an outpatient treatment program. Since then, I've been doing well. Clean and Sober. Happy as can be. A couple of years ago, I bought a couple of hand-guns, without incident. I have to admit though, when they were doing the background check, I had a little puckering going on.

I too think though, the labeling of someone as crazy, can't be taken lightly. I get both sides, but I would be very careful. I'm glad I'm not the judge.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84