Montana Big Game Combo Tags

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rolling back the memory rolodex which is shaky at best, but, isn't previously having an archery tag from your home state akin to "certification"?

Yeah

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
My total bill after applying for the deer permit with bonus point and elk permit with bonus point was $1,092.41. Dumb

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 bonus points for my archery elk unit. If I don't get it I am going to cry like a little school girl

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just think of all those Montana folks, cussing up a blue streak right now about all the "sunset platers" coming over from North Dakota to hunt

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My total bill after applying for the deer permit with bonus point and elk permit with bonus point was $1,092.41. Dumb

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 bonus points for my archery elk unit. If I don't get it I am going to cry like a little school girl

1128.30 for me....what the shit.

I have 4 pref points but I have to carry some others with less to 0 points on a party app so I'm looking at about 62% to draw my archery elk permit. Sometimes I'm a nice guy.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once CO and WY licenses caught up to MT's $$ people again started flowing to wherever tags were easiest to get. In 2014 a buddy was able to buy a deer combo tag online during the week of July 4th. Last yr I wasn't able to get my FIL a leftover deer combo tag in May. Pretty sure they sold out of big game (elk/deer) combos by Septemberish last yr too.

$$ is due today. Results are posted ~4-5wks later IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Rolling back the memory rolodex which is shaky at best, but, isn't previously having an archery tag from your home state akin to "certification"?

I dont think i worded that right its not a certification per say i cant remeber what he called it but they said it was required to have a bow hunter license that is like 10 bucks or some thing other wise your app would be thrown out this year. It was a last second change and they did not have the soft ware in yet to let you know if you dont get it you are screwed.

it is episode 106 on the rich outdoors he has a guy from go hunt that goes through every thing in montana. Find it on either itunes or i use sticher

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone else feel like some of these states try to nickel and dime you in every way they can get away with? Tag + bonus point + archery permit + habitat fee + air consumption fee + 7% tax per toe on your right foot, etc.

They be like: Here's a tag application for $1000+, but hey if that's not expensive enough, you can buy this "bonus point" too, which will give you better odds -- except it doesn't cause everyone buys them. Mu-ha-ha!!!

Montana can get bent.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont think i worded that right its not a certification per say i cant remeber what he called it but they said it was required to have a bow hunter license that is like 10 bucks or some thing other wise your app would be thrown out this year. It was a last second change and they did not have the soft ware in yet to let you know if you dont get it you are screwed.

it is episode 106 on the rich outdoors he has a guy from go hunt that goes through every thing in montana. Find it on either itunes or i use sticher

You have me concerned now cuz when I applied it never asked for my previous years archery cert #. The next day when one of the other party members applied, it asked for his.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have me concerned now cuz when I applied it never asked for my previous years archery cert #. The next day when one of the other party members applied, it asked for his.

you know i dont want to alarm any one but they made it sound like it might screw a bunch of people an up odds for drawing with the bow this year. they explain it way better it was 2 am and i was moving snow so i might have lost some details but i know for a fact they said some thing was changing this year i will go fast forward through and try and pick it up give me a little bit and i will have it.

- - - Updated - - -

ok i found it if you apply for 900 elk and you did not buy the 10.00 archery stamp you will be thrown out. they did not have soft ware in place to warn you

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
you know i dont want to alarm any one but they made it sound like it might screw a bunch of people an up odds for drawing with the bow this year. they explain it way better it was 2 am and i was moving snow so i might have lost some details but i know for a fact they said some thing was changing this year i will go fast forward through and try and pick it up give me a little bit and i will have it.

- - - Updated - - -

ok i found it if you apply for 900 elk and you did not buy the 10.00 archery stamp you will be thrown out. they did not have soft ware in place to warn you[/Q

This is fact. I called the MTFWP headquarters and they told me I needed it to apply for an archery permit. SO then I had to go back and buy the bow and arrow stamp and then you have to buy the conservation license and base hunting license AGAIN. Because you applied for the big game combo and it hasn't been ran through yet so the website doesn't know you have those licenses. but he said they will be automatically refunded afterwards.

he said its happened to ALOT of people

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be a little dense on this subject, but, if you apply and get turned down, you get 80% of the money back?

So you give MT a couple hundred bucks just to throw your hat in the lotto?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be a little dense on this subject, but, if you apply and get turned down, you get 80% of the money back?

yes that is the part that sucks.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you only apply for a general tag, not a unit permit, and not get drawn, I believe you are refunded in full.

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup all except like $10

OK. I was just trying to apply and of course they want your money before you pick a unit. My cousin lives in Columbus and usually hunts region 5. They deer hunt and get an elk tag in case they run across them while deer hunting.

I was assuming you could apply for the general region and not have to pick a specific unit within the region. I was thinking that it would be an expensive deer tag to hunt for deer and hopefully run across an elk. Definitely not worth a thousand bucks.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is fact. I called the MTFWP headquarters and they told me I needed it to apply for an archery permit. SO then I had to go back and buy the bow and arrow stamp and then you have to buy the conservation license and base hunting license AGAIN. Because you applied for the big game combo and it hasn't been ran through yet so the website doesn't know you have those licenses. but he said they will be automatically refunded afterwards.

Is this new? I don't remember ever seeing that before when applying.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

ok i found it if you apply for 900 elk and you did not buy the 10.00 archery stamp you will be thrown out. they did not have soft ware in place to warn you[/Q

he said its happened to ALOT of people

I got my app in yesterday and bought all the required licenses, including bow and arrow license. They didn't ask for my bow and arrow certification, but I don't think they asked last year either. My first year applying they did though. Do I need to call out there and make sure everything is ok? I didn't apply for an archery permit only area.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member

Is this new? I don't remember ever seeing that before when applying.

I think its just thrown in there when you apply for the combo but when I had to go back to buy just the bow and arrow license it stated it on there.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my app in yesterday and bought all the required licenses, including bow and arrow license. They didn't ask for my bow and arrow certification, but I don't think they asked last year either. My first year applying they did though. Do I need to call out there and make sure everything is ok? I didn't apply for an archery permit only area.

if you didn't apply for an archery permit only area I'm under the assumption you don't have to even buy the bow and arrow license until you get the tag. Which is how it was for everything in the past.

I had to fill out my archery certificate information

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34