Moon shine

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone dabble in making a little shine? Not being able to do much this week as me looking at buying a still. I’ve been down south and had some excellent homemade hillbilly shine, and had some that would make you go blind and shit. I can’t be the only curious one.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone dabble in making a little shine? Not being able to do much this week as me looking at buying a still. I’ve been down south and had some excellent homemade hillbilly shine, and had some that would make you go blind and shit. I can’t be the only curious one.
I tried making wine once and dumped it the alley it was so bad the birds wouldnt even drink it haha. I had some when my brother got married in the Smokey mountains in NC like you said some was good the other stuff would makes your eyes cross and shit your pants. Looks fun but i dont need any more hobbies

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A redneck buddy of mine south of town has a still, he uses corn straight from his field, puts it in a 55 gallon garbage can to ferment with yeast and whatever else, then uses whatever the boiling process is to make this shit work, and has about a 185 proof batch that he sometimes blends down, and sometimes you can sip if your already toasted.

The process takes several weeks. The big 55 gallon start turns into about 2 gallons all said and done. And I wouldn't pay a nickel for both gallons, but it'll get you loaded if that's the end goal.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A redneck buddy of mine south of town has a still, he uses corn straight from his field, puts it in a 55 gallon garbage can to ferment with yeast and whatever else, then uses whatever the boiling process is to make this shit work, and has about a 185 proof batch that he sometimes blends down, and sometimes you can sip if your already toasted.

The process takes several weeks. The big 55 gallon start turns into about 2 gallons all said and done. And I wouldn't pay a nickel for both gallons, but it'll get you loaded if that's the end goal.
It’s probably the round up that makes it taste like shit. Good corn liquor is smooth and nice to sip on.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am on my last jar of beet wine my pa made in the mid to late 80s. meant to drink it at christmas with him. but, forgot. its a sweeter, heavier wine reminiscent of a fine port at this point.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a friend that had relation down south and when he would go visit he always brough back a case of qt jars, His relation knew how to do it right, you just needed to know how to breath while sipping and when to quit sipping. LB

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have asked a couple friends to do this I have a good place and have seen it done in Kentucky.
Would like to do it what the hell, need to cut it done to 85 to 100 proof to drink. I have had full strength shit wow nasty. Would like to make the kind with fruit or flavored stuff.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had some a couple different times, and both smelled and tasted like turpentine. No thanks. But I would like to taste some good stuff one day.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Black-Friday-Specials/Mash-Boil-Pot-Still-Package

allegedly this is a good place to start, i think "more beer" has them in stock good for making corn/barley mash and dipping your toes into the moonshine world. Watch some youtube videos, look for some mash recipes and find some yeast for what you want to make. corn liquor is pretty simple corn sugar yeast water and wait

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
most people don't like actual moonshine they like what the "moonshine" gets mixed/blended with or aged in to mellow it out and cause it to become whatever spirit.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
most people don't like actual moonshine they like what the "moonshine" gets mixed/blended with or aged in to mellow it out and cause it to become whatever spirit.
I didn’t mind the tempered corn liquor. Straight shine is around 140 proof, that is pretty harsh if not tempered down

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
last run id say we were 120-130 after mixing in some tails and tempering a bit, still plenty hot enough to blend. i had plans to make some flavored liquor but it is actually pretty good straight so i have just been ripping a pull out of the jar.....allegedly

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
last run id say we were 120-130 after mixing in some tails and tempering a bit, still plenty hot enough to blend. i had plans to make some flavored liquor but it is actually pretty good straight so i have just been ripping a pull out of the jar.....allegedly
What kind of corn are you using?
you might have to bring a jar to beulah bay this summer.

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will have some there, bought dried yellow “field”cracked corn last run. but buddy has milled and dried his own for us too, you can buy kits online also that have everything you need and exotic grains. We want to try a sweet feed mash one of these days supposedly make a rum….allegedly

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am on my last jar of beet wine my pa made in the mid to late 80s. meant to drink it at christmas with him. but, forgot. its a sweeter, heavier wine reminiscent of a fine port at this point.
Buddy of mine made some beet wine a little over a year ago. I...just...don't...appreciate...beets! It was in a mason jar (redneck central here) and after it settled for a few weeks in the fridge, it was an absolutely beautiful shade of red.

Still tasted like beets, yuck!

He also made some dandelion wine once that as he described it "next best thing to carb cleaner". He was right on that one too. Some of his other creations were pretty good, but I'll pass on any more beet or dandelion wine if offered.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i don't know if its the age or what. but, this stuff tastes nothing like actual beets. it also looks nothing like beets. frankly, i question whether its beets and not chokecherry. he says it was beets. and, he made it. so, he should know i guess.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84