Morel mushrooms recipe

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
So whats everybody's prefferd storage method? Short and long term. Years past weve ate what we found immediately. This year im building quite a stock pile.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lucky Eric!! I slice all morels in half and lay them out on a screen (preferably in the sun) for a couple days until they're very dry. Then I finish them off in the oven on the lowest temp with the door open for about 10-15min (basically just a dehydrator). I then keep them in a mason jar or sealed paper bag, but they generally won't last long. My favorite recipe BY FAR is a cream sauce over steak. Cook Morels in shallots, garlic, butter for about 10 or so minutes until they're cooked well. Add 3/4 cup beef stock and simmer a while, add 1 cup heavy cream and slowly simmer until sauce thickens. Insane.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lucky Eric!! I slice all morels in half and lay them out on a screen (preferably in the sun) for a couple days until they're very dry. Then I finish them off in the oven on the lowest temp with the door open for about 10-15min (basically just a dehydrator). I then keep them in a mason jar or sealed paper bag, but they generally won't last long. My favorite recipe BY FAR is a cream sauce over steak. Cook Morels in shallots, garlic, butter for about 10 or so minutes until they're cooked well. Add 3/4 cup beef stock and simmer a while, add 1 cup heavy cream and slowly simmer until sauce thickens. Insane.

Thank! Hopefully i find more and can try that.

With the extras i have i washed, sliced and then froze them on a cookie sheet. Next ill vacuum seel them. Hopefully thell last a while.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here what I have so far. Way below my goal..

Attachments

2016.jpg

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya anything less than a 6 pack and im pissed aswell!!

Never dried them but shrunk down that seems like a pretty decent amount.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 5 full jars at the house was hoping for 10 but mabey we will get a late may rain and I'll be able to get some more.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say it's about done. Mabey another week left in my area if we don't get some rain.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends where ur at..my neck of the woods is shit. Have a few more places to look this weekend. Not banking on much though.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of the ones we have found had seen better days. Hopeing we do get a good soaker this weekend and the go on anoither run.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I threw them in some spaghetti a couple nights ago and they were pretty tasty. Gonna pan fry the rest here tonight.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a few more today. Allready planned on making some stuffed mushrooms so i figured id give it a try with some morels.

For the Morels i mixed cream cheese, parmesean, chopped garlic and a few seasonings. Turned out terrific! Hopefully this rain gets us a few more.20160525_191211.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Add some minced smoked sausage to the stuffing--:;:thumbsup maybe get rid of the chopped garlic...

- - - Updated - - -

or reduce it or maybe none of the above (about the garlic). A good smoked sausage has plenty flavor and enough power to make chicks purr. It's damned fine in cream cheese.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone getting enough rain for another hunt?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88