ND State Class A &B

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As i look at that list of schools going from a 13 to well over a thousand i wonder how they split the schools up based on enrollment and i assume it was all schools in the co-op but more how the education needs are met from one to the other.

Went from a school of 56 in all grades to a school in my class alone was 50 and grade in front of me was 65. There was a different from one to the other with a bunch due to competition amount the student body. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My folks were used to A and B in the smaller school and my first report card in the bigger school was C and D. My mother was upset and i remember telling her it's a different world now. Then there was the social part and being not part of the click that was already in place. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is not enrollment making Thompson part of the sport elite. It has to be the Grand Fork rejects. db

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, people are missing the obvious when it comes to why the private schools tend to do well in sports. Since their parents are well off enough to afford tuition on top of the other child raising expenses, the kids don't generally have to work in HS. Instead, they are allowed to sign up for things like Sanford Power for extra training in a given sport. They weren't necessarily born with greater talent than the other kids, they are just given better opportunities to become the absolute best version of themselves. And quite honestly, I don't think it takes a very well-trained eye to see this in just about every sport.

Yeah, there are plenty of big city kids in public schools that are given the same opportunities, not so much at the smaller towns.
You really can’t say it any better. Without access to year round training - whether that’s summer ice time, Sanford power or open gyms - an athlete will never attain their full potential. Athletes from affluent parents certainly tend to get these opportunities more than the others. That individual still needs to do the work and put forth the effort to get better, but when they’re in an environment with facilities, coaching, teammates or like minds, there’s really no choice but to excel. Resources typically win.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been there putz and agree completely. There are those that do well without that behind them but it sure does not hurt. db

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great times and winning is nice but today the memories of those time was seeing the kids play. db-2
^^This^^

Enjoy the ride, it comes and it goes too quick. Not saying kids shouldn't strive for a championship, scholarship, or even more but odds aren't in their favor. Have fun, make memories, learn the lessons team sports have to offer. That's what makes it great.

I have a 17 year old junior in track. Not my favorite sport to spectate. But he loves it, he's into it, and he's FAST. We support him and I've learned to enjoy the meets. He was recently named a captain and I've been able to give advice on leadership - what it means, the responsibility that comes with it, and how to help make his teammates stronger. I will be sad the day he hangs up the spikes for a 40 hour work week.....

Now that I'm hiring young engineers, I look for those who have played sports and can articulate what lessons they learned, how they contributed, overcame adversity, or were leaders. More to it than the score at the end of the game. I could care less if they won a championship or got a scholarship to play D1, D2, D3.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Our team went from being competitive and making a run at state about every 10 years to being 2-16 with a first round post season loss. Not just losses, 30-40 point losses. That is going to be status quo from now on. It was already getting hard to string together a 10 man varsity. Imagine how hard it will be after three or four more years of getting curb stomped. My kids are in their 30's, but I have nieces and nephews coming through. It is hard to see them not getting a fair shake at a well rounded high school learning experience, which I consider team sports participation an important part of. The school board appealed the placement in A. It took them 1.5 seconds to deny it. Pretty obvious their minds were made up before the hearing. Now the athletic director quit. Good times...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must have gotten the short end of the stick, welcome to the club , Lots of teams have been there for years.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing I couldn't help but notice is how many players were sporting beards and mustaches , I think one was a sophomore . It seems like almost everybody had peach fuzz at that age when I was a kid.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88