New boat

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what's the dryest 18' tiller these days?

- - - Updated - - -

or should I say "least soaked"?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's been boat buying for 3 years now, he should be good at it.

it's called knowing what i want and what it cost and making sure my bank account isn't crippled when I pull the trigger... I just posted my boat for sale and the possibility of not having a boat for me makes me twitchy

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
what's the dryest 18' tiller these days?

- - - Updated - - -

or should I say "least soaked"?

All the 18' glass tillers seem like they would be way under powered with ratings of 75-90. I think i would be looking for a used warrior when they were rated for 140.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
$100,000.00 boats to catch 18in Walleyes and 8in Bluegills, holly crap, I think they are keep up to the Jones boats, I will stick with my Tracker, it's paid for and 4 times less money

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally could not pull a trigger on any of the 20’ boats brand new. Go to walleye central and get a next to new used one for 20 - 30+K less in many instances and most are rigged out to the hilt
No tax is another bonus

Couldn't agree more, blows my mind at the ramp every time I go out.
But if they weren't buying the new stuff we couldn't buy the used stuff 1/2 off I guess! ;)

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A month or so back a guy I know asked me what is a good boat now a days and wanted recommendations. I asked him how much he wants to spend, how often he fishes or is going to fish, what type of water, does he take kids and family, is he a serious fisherman, how does he like to fish and so on. He looked at me kind of stupid. But honestly there is a bunch of options available now a days to fit the needs of each person. I purchased my boat and equipment based on how I fish, where I fish and how serious I am about it. I did not buy my boat based on what my neighbor has or popular opinion. That is what I suggest most people do. Do your research and you should be happy.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
A month or so back a guy I know asked me what is a good boat now a days and wanted recommendations. I asked him how much he wants to spend, how often he fishes or is going to fish, what type of water, does he take kids and family, is he a serious fisherman, how does he like to fish and so on. He looked at me kind of stupid. But honestly there is a bunch of options available now a days to fit the needs of each person. I purchased my boat and equipment based on how I fish, where I fish and how serious I am about it. I did not buy my boat based on what my neighbor has or popular opinion. That is what I suggest most people do. Do your research and you should be happy.

Spot on!!!! I dont know if it can be said better.

Anyway I like to hear about boat shopping --- Spring fever is in the air open water is well maybe more than a few months away (2nd extension needed by end of march on augers).

I suppose i will take the wife to the sports show -- -it will be a you can look and touch but you cannot bring one home.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone mentions layout. However, I haven't seen anyone bring up the removable storage pods on the Lund 202 and 219 boats. To me, if they executed this well it should be a HUGE selling point.

Everyone always goes back and forth on the "U" vs Open Cockpit layout. These pods give you the best of each and the flexibility to swap your layout depending on the day.

I checked them out at the show and was surprised they were only held in place by two bolts. Anyone have user feedback on them?
the removable storage on the pro-v is the one thing that could get me to buy it over a new ZV21. That is a great feature.

- - - Updated - - -

that would be the ultimate tiller

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't agree more, blows my mind at the ramp every time I go out.
But if they weren't buying the new stuff we couldn't buy the used stuff 1/2 off I guess! ;)

Seriously, there's something to be said about that. On the flip side though, I paid a little over $30k last year for a 4 yr old Toon with less than 330 hours on it. The motor catastrophically shit the bed at about 360 hrs. I got lucky as I didn't think there was a warranty left on the motor, as it turns out I was a few months on the right side of history and Merc picked up the tab for a new powerhead.

I couldn't imagine the friggin hole I would have been in to have a 3 yr old Toon payment and a repair bill for over $9k. I'd have been money ahead at that point in buying new, by a lot!

The bottom line here is that when you buy new, you know what you have...and that's a perfectly new rig that hasn't been abused or missed any maintenance. I don't even suspect that was the case with mine, but it's always at the back of my mind when buying used. Having a payment is one thing, having a payment and substantial repair bills at the same time is way, way worse.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
the removable storage on the pro-v is the one thing that could get me to buy it over a new ZV21. That is a great feature.

- - - Updated - - -

that would be the ultimate tiller
I've had tiller 3 out of 8 boats. Like the room of a tiller more and more. Don't need to go 63 mph any more. Guys with 1890 tillers chime in. How wet do you get?

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, there's something to be said about that. On the flip side though, I paid a little over $30k last year for a 4 yr old Toon with less than 330 hours on it. The motor catastrophically shit the bed at about 360 hrs. I got lucky as I didn't think there was a warranty left on the motor, as it turns out I was a few months on the right side of history and Merc picked up the tab for a new powerhead.

I couldn't imagine the friggin hole I would have been in to have a 3 yr old Toon payment and a repair bill for over $9k. I'd have been money ahead at that point in buying new, by a lot!

The bottom line here is that when you buy new, you know what you have...and that's a perfectly new rig that hasn't been abused or missed any maintenance. I don't even suspect that was the case with mine, but it's always at the back of my mind when buying used. Having a payment is one thing, having a payment and substantial repair bills at the same time is way, way worse.

Bought a tiller 5 yr old 40 mag mariner in the 90's. Ran great but after 15 trips blew the powerhead. Stuck with a 3+G bill to replace. Back in those days 3G was 9G compared to today. Lost my a$$ on that boat

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Did they ever come up with a reason why it failed?

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always bought used yamahas still under the 6 yr warranty "but never had a single problem with any of them" Up until this one, now you probably jinxed me! Ha ha ha
Wait..that's not funny! So

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with Allen above...if you're gonna have a payment anyway...might as well buy new...enjoy the warranty "peace of mind".

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If i was a tiller guy this is what I would get... I wish there was some 2121's used for sale that were not near full price

Say Rusty, just thinking out loud here: Not sure striving so hard just to have a a new glass boat is such a great idea. Selling body parts, renting the wife? It's just a boat, man. Buying a new glass boat should be a drop in the bucket for cash flush individual not an end all be all destination.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best time to buy imo. Late fall, recessions (MN finally stated after how many years finally they are seeing increase in watercraft licenses). Right now is the worst time to buy unless if you find a used one that some wannabee bought and needs to sell. Once in a while u see one with extemely low hours and u just wonder. I have buddies though where there kids r in so many sports or grandpa buys one and some health issue happens. I know in my own case hours jumped up huge when my kids moved out and when I got a place on dl.

U just have to wait for your set to come in.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good point Short...also seems like quite a few of the dealers have brand new "leftovers" of previous model years...2017's and even seeing some new 2016's.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boats and boat owners are fickle beasts. Helping at boat shows I have found that owners and manufacturers are very "cult-like". Many guys refuse to look at the obvious positives AND negatives of brands other than what they run. There are many decent boats out there. Skeeter, Lund, Ranger, and Yar are great high end boats. Mid range boats (glass) that are capable include Larson, Stratos (now defunct), and Sylvan (missed a few for sure). Pick your poison. Find a layout that you like. Do you like speed, dry, lifetime hull warranty? Are you wanting Merc, Yammie, Suzi, etc because the boat you pick may dictate that choice.

I like my Yars for many reasons. They are less wet than many, well built, fast, track well, and arent cookie cutter (no color option A, B, C, etc). The factory support is amazing. Beyond the boat, I feel I have a dealer that is second to none. Great purchase process, great service after the sale, and a couple amazing mechanics (not just guys that plug a wiring harness into a computer). As much as I love my Yars, if my dealer went a direction other than Yar I would have to think long and hard about making a move to the boat line they move to.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 154
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 52