New boat

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Say Rusty, just thinking out loud here: Not sure striving so hard just to have a a new glass boat is such a great idea. Selling body parts, renting the wife? It's just a boat, man. Buying a new glass boat should be a drop in the bucket for cash flush individual not an end all be all destination.

it's a joke ahab... I've been saving and paying other bills, my medical thing this fall is the reason I did not get the boat ordered before christmas, but it may have been a blessing in disguise because it made me look harder at the used market and I may have found a couple that will work, not perfect but 20g can afford a lot of upgrades

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My goal is to make friends with nice boats and fish with them:D. Not to be a mooch mostly because if the day ever comes that I can justify a nice boat and make the time to open water fish more I would like to have an idea what I like and dislike.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
A month or so back a guy I know asked me what is a good boat now a days and wanted recommendations. I asked him how much he wants to spend, how often he fishes or is going to fish, what type of water, does he take kids and family, is he a serious fisherman, how does he like to fish and so on. He looked at me kind of stupid. But honestly there is a bunch of options available now a days to fit the needs of each person. I purchased my boat and equipment based on how I fish, where I fish and how serious I am about it. I did not buy my boat based on what my neighbor has or popular opinion. That is what I suggest most people do. Do your research and you should be happy.

I feel this may be the best advice to give to someone asking about buying a new boat, figure out how much time you spend and how you spend it and your budget. My current boat is a great boat for a lot of people, it just does not fit how I want to fish and tbh I am really happy I got the boat I did because it taught me what I do and do not want in a boat

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kovash in moorhead has an 07 1890 with a suzuki 140 too. https://www.kovashmarine.com/used-inventory

I have a buddy that has an 1890 with a 135 optimax, top speed is around 50.

I would guess that a new 1890 with a 90 would be mid to upper 30's. They might be longer, but they are still a fairly narrow boat compared to the rest of 18' class wheel boats out there.

If you are still wanting a tiller, take a closer look a the available glass tillers out there, from the 1890 warrior to the 2090, the lund glass and pro guide tillers, and the yarcraft 2095. i think the only company making a 17' glass tiller is Backtroller Boats. I could be wrong though. Obviously the glass boats will be the driest.

Edit: I guess yarcraft still makes the 1785 BT too.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to miss it. 900 hours and still purrs like a kitten. Pushed the boat 30-33 on any given day. Hit 38 going downstream with little fuel and no gear.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to miss it. 900 hours and still purrs like a kitten. Pushed the boat 30-33 on any given day. Hit 38 going downstream with little fuel and no gear.

I have the mercury version of that motor. Yamaha head with merc lower unit. Pushes my pro angler 16 35mph no prob. had it to 38 on oahe running from yates to beaver, but was pretty squirrely. but you're right, as long as the carbs are clean, purrs like a kitten!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
EFI is the best thing to happen to the internal combustion gasoline engine since solid-state ignition.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yamaha: u go diving or fishing in another country. 99% of them use yammys rarely see a Merc.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tough time trusting new boat companies or new model years. Larson’s price point seems too good to be true.

Larson meets a price point with a great layout. It is evident why they meet the pricepoint... Gelcoat isnt fantastic, hinges are visible, electronics have no protection (tillers), and they dont sparkle.

However, they fish quite well and have a great layout. They also have some features available that greatly aide in their comfort and fishability (captians chairs available, etc). They have a fairly wide beam and are stable. They also made hull changes in the 2017 model year to their 20 foot boats and they are faster, track better, and are more stable. Their parent company builds ultra high end yachts and they just moved their production facility closer to their R&D employees so I expect even more improvements in the next few years.

For the price they are hard to beat and buying from North Country is never a bad decision. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tough time trusting new boat companies or new model years. Larson’s price point seems too good to be true.

I agree on the newer companies. The problem is these companies try to make a go at a new sector, and then it doesn't end up working out and they stop making the boats. Now you basically have a boat with no resale value. Id personally rather pay more upfront for an established brand that i know isn't going anywhere.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the newer companies. The problem is these companies try to make a go at a new sector, and then it doesn't end up working out and they stop making the boats. Now you basically have a boat with no resale value. Id personally rather pay more upfront for an established brand that i know isn't going anywhere.

Larson is far from a new boat brand. They just jumped into the walleye segment 6 or so years ago.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46