New boat

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have learned over the years to walk right past reels, binoculars, rods, and a host of other items that are designed with a "certain price point in mind".

But maybe Larson is different - maybe they've figured out lean production or some such and beat with quality/$ - not brand name.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Larson is far from a new boat brand. They just jumped into the walleye segment 6 or so years ago.

Yes i know Larson has been around but in the walleye segment i would consider them new. I'm not bashing them, they probably offer a decent product for the price point. I'm just not an early adopter of new products, i want a well established reputation. Others are fine buying the newer boats (Larson/Nitro) becasue of what they offer for the money. To each there own.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have learned over the years to walk right past reels, binoculars, rods, and a host of other items that are designed with a "certain price point in mind".

I hold the same belief. Too many purchases made due to price and not quality only to be replaced by the expensive option 1 or 2 years later. I spend large dollars on my Yar Crafts when I could find something of the same size much cheaper. My reasons are many, but likely not agreed on by some.

But maybe Larson is different - maybe they've figured out lean production or some such and beat with quality/$ - not brand name.

I dont believe they have any LEAN manufacturing process down. As I mentioned, they show from 10 feet how they are able to cut prices. They have "overall quality" and do fish quite well; however, finish is missing sorely. Some quys would rather buy new and spend 40k than spending the same 40k on a 5 year old boat. I guess that is why we are fortunate to have so many offerings to choose from.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Larson made a stab at the walleye market back in the late 80s early 90s. A friend of mine “Rod Irion” was a guide at Indian Hills Resort. He had a 17’ Larson tiller with a 75 merc. It was a good boat with a lot of room. Only one I ever saw. He fished the hell out of that boat. I remember it handling waves very well for a 17 footer

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now I see. And old forest took the ranger boys and dey tying to make a faster boat. Non compete clause must of ran out.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you’re saying ranger will change boat design to the defunct Stratos platform?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
No the Woods started a new boat business in Flippin. Building a new set of boats - glass and alum. I am assuming they will start out with bass boats.

- - - Updated - - -

Woods and the rest of the Ranger clan that were let go or left the company.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
No the Woods started a new boat business in Flippin. Building a new set of boats - glass and alum. I am assuming they will start out with bass boats.

- - - Updated - - -

Woods and the rest of the Ranger clan that were let go or left the company.

Vexus boats. Supposed to unveil a new aluminum bass boat at the classic next month. Reports are a glass boat unveiling this fall. Many of the old Ranger engineers and upper management (with assistance of Mr Woods bank account) are starting it. I havent heard anything about a deep V line-up.

I dont think the Stratos name and boat line going away have anything to do with this new Vexus boat line. I think Junhhy Morris was trying to tighten up his many boat companies and decrease overlap of the brands he now owns.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a Lund Cherokee in 1988. Last year of the Cherokee. Was told Larson made the hull for Lund. Good boat at that time Heavy fiberglass and handled waves .

ELLS

Founding Member
Founding Member

Attachments

CD576C4D-5FA2-4B20-9765-E6DACE2D2D43.jpg CD576C4D-5FA2-4B20-9765-E6DACE2D2D43.jpg
Last edited:

Established Member
Warrior is the only way to go, best riding boat made built in Minnesota by family run business, you will be amazed by the ride,

Founding Member
Founding Member
Warrior is the only way to go, best riding boat made built in Minnesota by family run business, you will be amazed by the ride,

Family run business?
They were before they went out of business I guess..

Warrior Boats
News Release
July 2011
To contact Warrior principals, see below

Fishermen and Businessmen Resurrect Warrior Boat Brand

The Warrior boat brand is back in the marketplace. Four businessmen/anglers purchased all rights to the name, trademark, molds, jigs, tools and other assets and are making plans for the future, according to Chuck Barth, one of the owners, and a cattle rancher and owner of Tamarack Kennels in Melrose, Minnesota

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member

and so says guy with a Lund, the guy with a Ranger, and the one with the Skeeter, the one with the Nitro, the one with the Yar-Craft,.........................................

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member

Wait until you need factory support for issues.....many issues. I know this first hand.

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have owned 4 warriors over the last 20 years, starting with a used 193, a new 193, a new 1890, and currently a new 2090. I changed boats and boat style as my family grew and moved away. I owned boats built by the "family owned" company and the new owners. I have received excellent service from both, but especially from the new ownership group. Warranty work, replacement of a defective seat post, as well as adjustments to tweak handling all done quickly, effectively, and cheerfully. I bought my 2090 from Kovash Marine in Moorhead, and as a dealer he has been great, both at the point of sale and post sale service.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can argue all day about which boats are best and every angler who owns a certain brand is going to tell you how great theirs is. But what probably tells the best story is to go watch a tourney. There's a reason guys in them largely run Rangers and Lunds. The boat business is tough and competitive. If something costs less the chances are it's because it's not built to the same specs. All those tourney guys aren't buying Rangers and Lunds because they're cheaper. It's because they're built to last and hold their values. Quality parts and building cost more. Now if you're not going to go out in 30mph winds on the big lakes or aren't going to use it as much, then you probably don't need to spend that much. And the best option to save a little is to look around at the end of the year and buy one from one of the sponsored guys. You'll get a well made boat with a full warranty that's usually decked out with all the electronics and such that you need.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46