Now we see why those Tourney Sak weights are so big

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting post...I for one was with Kurtr thinking "what low life scum bag put his dog in a kennel and drowned the poor thing"

Tournaments aren't going anywhere and thus there will be cheating. Like stated previously, if money is involved, and it doesn't matter how much, people will cheat. Too bad that many of these guys have the gall to brag or act like big shots when they win by cheating.

SDMF- I'm sure over a whole season of fishing you do spend more money than these guys pre-fishing and fishing the tournament, but if you take what they spend over that week or 4,5,6 days or whatever and times it by a season, I would say what they spend is a substantial boost to the local economy. You can say what you want, but anytime people from out of state or out of town come in and spend money, that is money that would not otherwise be spent there. Just saying...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF- I'm sure over a whole season of fishing you do spend more money than these guys pre-fishing and fishing the tournament, but if you take what they spend over that week or 4,5,6 days or whatever and times it by a season, I would say what they spend is a substantial boost to the local economy. You can say what you want, but anytime people from out of state or out of town come in and spend money, that is money that would not otherwise be spent there. Just saying...

I say HORSESHIT!! to "Fishing and Pheasant Philanthropy". The fishing and pheasant philanthropists only show up when the hunting and fishing is great and hotels and restaurants would be full of in-state non-local people anyway, as long as there's access (hunting). Pheasant #'s are in the toilet and I seriously doubt you're going to see throngs of folks from out of state in Mott, Regent, or Hettinger philanthropizing any of those communities. I do however know throngs of residents who've essentially given up bird hunting when access could be had for no more than a knock on a door, a jug/case of the landowners favorite and maybe a Christmas card. So, now the pheasant philanthropists aren't coming and the local hunters have developed other hobbies.

Fishing was tough on Devils this summer. There's probably ~1500 campers/lake-homes surrounding the lake in different campgrounds and developments. You can't help falling water levels and fish that concentrate. You can however push those 2-3k people who inhabit those campers, cabins, and lake-homes to other bodies of water or into other hobbies by making them fish in the midst of the shameless shitheads who'd cheat to win a $5 baseball cap. Even if the fishing is tough, those folks with an investment in friendships will continue to come to their lake place on the weekends as long as they can have fun. Slow fishing AND too many tournaments and again, they'll either go elsewhere or find a new hobby. Who provides more economic activity for the region? Someone who fishes ~10 days straight and then leaves until next year, or someone who pays dues for their campsite or taxes for their lake property and then is in the area 2-3 days/week from May through Oct?

Fishing and pheasant philanthropists need to go back to simple 1st grade addition and subtraction prior to espousing anything from that gaping hole beneath their nose.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF- I think you missed where I said, "I'm sure over a whole season of fishing you do spend more money than these guys pre-fishing and fishing the tournament..."

Are you saying that an out of stater, that fills up a boat and vehicle with gas, eats, buys 4 days worth of groceries, and buys a non-resident fishing license in Bismark, then buys bait, tackle, ice, pays for hotel room for 3 nights, eats 4x at local restaurants in Garrison is not an added boost to local economy when you times that by however many out of staters come in?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF- I think you missed where I said, "I'm sure over a whole season of fishing you do spend more money than these guys pre-fishing and fishing the tournament..."

Are you saying that an out of stater, that fills up a boat and vehicle with gas, eats, buys 4 days worth of groceries, and buys a non-resident fishing license in Bismark, then buys bait, tackle, ice, pays for hotel room for 3 nights, eats 4x at local restaurants in Garrison is not an added boost to local economy when you times that by however many out of staters come in?

NR fishermen/women are welcome and appreciated. Tournament fisher-people suck sweaty snake balls and drive people and revenue away.

Pheasant/Fowl philanthropists who often end up limiting access for others are ultimately an economic drain as they drive many out of the sport and stop coming when the hunting slows down. As I said, the bars and restaurants aren't going to be packed to the rafters with folks talking about "Saving ND's small towns with their $$". They didn't save jack-diddly shit, and drove an awful lot of people out of hunting who would otherwise still head out most weekends, even if it's more work. Now nobody's buying gas, hotel rooms, groceries, drinks, or food.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lol (about the snake balls)...now I see what you were getting at, and I understand your frustrations. I hope you didn't think I was disagreeing with you and I certainly wasn't trying to fire you up, I think we were on different tangents...

My father-in-law only hunted deer when I met him and now he gave that up because guys with deeper pockets than he leased the land he hunted for years. He looked around and also tried public land, but leases were extremely high or too far to travel and public land was a headache with overcrowding in the area he tried.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
shorthairman,

In general, I don't have a big beef with NRs. I go out of state occassionally myself for fun.

However, as someone who grew up on Sakakawea, I think I can say that life was pretty good before the foreigners showed up in their sparkly boats. If I had to choose between fishing and hunting in the 80s and todays fishing (which is actually pretty damn awesome) and hunting, I'd take the 80s any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Back then if you went out on a weekday, you'd best not have a break down or you were going to drift to a shore that was probably nowhere near your vehicle because there likely was nobody within sight.

Yep, the 80s trump current in every single way.

Unless yer talking about vehicles, the 80s pickups generally SUCKED. Especially those effing Dodges. Those c-suckers put more damn miles on my boots than hunting!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
NR fishermen/women are welcome and appreciated. Tournament fisher-people suck sweaty snake balls and drive people and revenue away.

Pheasant/Fowl philanthropists who often end up limiting access for others are ultimately an economic drain as they drive many out of the sport and stop coming when the hunting slows down. As I said, the bars and restaurants aren't going to be packed to the rafters with folks talking about "Saving ND's small towns with their $$". They didn't save jack-diddly shit, and drove an awful lot of people out of hunting who would otherwise still head out most weekends, even if it's more work. Now nobody's buying gas, hotel rooms, groceries, drinks, or food.

Clay, we get it. You hate us tourney guys because 100% of us a are inconsiderate and rude on the water and rape resources.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clay, we get it. You hate us tourney guys because 100% of us a are inconsiderate and rude on the water and rape resources.

No. What he's saying is tournaments are NOT the boon to the economy those that participate in tournaments want to tout it to be as well as pointing out the almost universal attitude among tournament fishermen that they somehow have more "right" to fish and fishing spots because they are in a tournament. BOTH of which are not only distasteful, but have a real and tangible negative affect on the people at those lakes, and surrounding areas where tournaments are held. The same can be said for the traveling bird bozos. When hunting is good, they come with short term cash influxes that causes land to be locked up to local hunters. Then the local hunters find other things to do. When the hunting wanes, the short term cash ends, but the local guys aren't coming back and I don't blame them. I'm not discussing right or wrong here, just facts as I see them. So, is this a positive or a negative affect on those areas involved?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mobridge has done a few economic studies and the year one of the pro am tourney comes to our small town it has a big effect for us.. we have a 3 b tax in town and that is huge for our general fund. Our tourism committee works hard getting those here and all the business see a substantial bump from them. Our ice fishing tournament is another one that brings in a lot during slow season. When the lake was down it was not looking good with no one here fishing

- - - Updated - - -

Pheasant season our town doubles for a month...

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see a problem with tournaments or nr hunters I do what I want when I want I fish tournaments on sak but if I'm not in one and want to fish I go fishing it's a big lake plenty of spots to fish I don't fish in crowds tournament or pleasure never. If I want to go pheasant hunting I go hunting what other people do does not effect me in the least I don't own any land I hunt only on public land there is lots of it plenty of land for everyone I have never had a problem you guys that bitch just aren't trying and find it easier to blame other people then yourself for being lazy hunters or fisherman so put your big girl panties on and get out and enjoy yourself stop blaming others for your faults or laziness its a bs excuse anyway and makes you sound little I enjoy north Dakota resources to there fullest and am willing to share we are blessed with what we have so stop bitching and get out and enjoy them

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. What he's saying is tournaments are NOT the boon to the economy those that participate in tournaments want to tout it to be as well as pointing out the almost universal attitude among tournament fishermen that they somehow have more "right" to fish and fishing spots because they are in a tournament. BOTH of which are not only distasteful, but have a real and tangible negative affect on the people at those lakes, and surrounding areas where tournaments are held. The same can be said for the traveling bird bozos. When hunting is good, they come with short term cash influxes that causes land to be locked up to local hunters. Then the local hunters find other things to do. When the hunting wanes, the short term cash ends, but the local guys aren't coming back and I don't blame them. I'm not discussing right or wrong here, just facts as I see them. So, is this a positive or a negative affect on those areas involved?

Thank you for speaking for clay.

You used 1 word that completely changed the outlook of his ongoing rant.... "almost" in regards to tourney fisherman and attitude. I fish tourneys and love it for many reasons. I have not witnessed the pervasive attitudes that seem to be only with us tourney guys. Maybe because, even in tourneys, I try and find my own fish and areas of the lake to focus on. I dont give 2 craps about economic impact. People come and people go so does money.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for speaking for clay.

You used 1 word that completely changed the outlook of his ongoing rant.... "almost" in regards to tourney fisherman and attitude. I fish tourneys and love it for many reasons. I have not witnessed the pervasive attitudes that seem to be only with us tourney guys. Maybe because, even in tourneys, I try and find my own fish and areas of the lake to focus on. I dont give 2 craps about economic impact. People come and people go so does money.

You're Welcome.

Good for you Aaron. I'm really moved to know that there is one shining star on the tournament trail who doesn't display complete asshattery whilst competing for cash and prizes. Thank you for being that glowing ember of hope for all to emulate. As you've obviously held yourself to a higher standard by avoiding everyone on the water during tournaments, it makes sense that you've been spared the overly prevalent nauseating behavior exercised by your tournament brethren. And being of a higher standard, I'm sure you won't be upset when I say I'd really like to see the tournament people GO rather than come. Thank you for just being you.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had less bad interactions with tourney guys than I have had with regular fishermen who see you catch one fish and more or less ride nuts rest of the day. On Oahe I will take the tourney guys every day they leave me alone

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're Welcome.

Good for you Aaron. I'm really moved to know that there is one shining star on the tournament trail who doesn't display complete asshattery whilst competing for cash and prizes. Thank you for being that glowing ember of hope for all to emulate. As you've obviously held yourself to a higher standard by avoiding everyone on the water during tournaments, it makes sense that you've been spared the overly prevalent nauseating behavior exercised by your tournament brethren. And being of a higher standard, I'm sure you won't be upset when I say I'd really like to see the tournament people GO rather than come. Thank you for just being you.

I thought you would be a better man than a response like this.

Am far from perfect; but try darn hard to conduct myself wisely in all areas of my life (personally, professionally, socially, etc). Generally speaking, I have difficulty with broad brushes or be-all end-all words (ie: hate, everyone, no one, all, everywhere, etc). Some large brushes being used on this thread. I know a number of tourney guys that are morons, and know an a larger number of guys that conduct themselves with civility on the water. My attempts of finding places more alone for tourneys obviously havent served me very well the last couple summers.....

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it ever resolved on who cut old highway 281 with a backhoe at night?? Whenever i go by that area - i always think of the fishing tournament

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it ever resolved on who cut old highway 281 with a backhoe at night?? Whenever i go by that area - i always think of the fishing tournament

Not that I have heard. Nothing more than rumors on a responsible party. I wish it would have been found out and dealt with appropriately. This far out I doubt it ever will.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I had a dollar for everytime a tourney fisherman told me at a cleaning station "you shoulda put it back as that'd be a money fish for me tomorrow", I'd probably have $20.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're Welcome.

KDM, how many tournaments do you deal with on Ashtabula? I’ve never seen you so resentful to a group of sportsman. It’s not even winter yet and you’re all acting like a bunch of cabin fever whiners.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 181
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90