• Did you get a deer ?

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Did you get a deer license ?

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Did you get 2 deer licenses ?

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer licenses ?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Did you see less deer this year than usual ?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Did you get 2 deer ?

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer ?

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Do you wish you would have gotten a deer license ?

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Does this poll anger you ?

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Was this poll helpfull ?

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
This information if from 2016 - which would be the latest they have provided - 2017 information will be out in March/April 2018.

A total of 44,140 North Dakota deer hunters took approximately 29,300 deer during the 2016 deer gun hunting season, according to a post-season survey conducted by the state Game and Fish Department.

Game and Fish issued 13,466 gratis licenses in 2016, and 11,369 hunters harvested 6,593 deer, for a success rate of 58 percent.
A record 26,755 archery licenses (24,532 resident, 2,223 nonresident) were issued in 2016. In total, 22,071 bow hunters harvested 9,492 deer (8,686 whitetails, 806 mule deer), for a success rate of 43 percent.

The department is in the process of determining recommendations for licenses in the 2017 deer proclamation. The proclamation will be sent to the governor’s office for approval in late April.

In addition to harvest rates and winter aerial surveys, the department monitors a number of other population indices to determine license numbers, including depredation reports, hunter observations, input at advisory board meetings, and comments from the public, landowners and department field staff.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey this has all literally been beaten to death on this site. It usually devolves into two groups of people

Group 1 (which is the group that tends to start these topics) - These guys are pissed they don't get a rifle tag as much as they think they deserve. Rather than change anything in how they approach the lottery or in the way they hunt or where they hunt or what they hunt with, they are looking to place blame. First they blame those damn bow hunters, then they blame those damn landowners, then they blame party hunters. One thing you never see them do is blame themselves at all for refusing to evolve, or take advantage of the opportunities everybody has.

Group 2 - This group tends to realize the GNF system, although not perfect, is about as good as we can have it. We do everything we can to increase our opportunity by picking up a different weapon, or applying to different units, or buying leftover tags, or buying land etc. we realize everybody has the same opportunity, its just that many don't pursue them. Most of all we get extremely annoyed with the guys who bitch about not getting drawn for 7 years while they put in for the badlands and refuse to try anything else.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Davey- From the short time I have been on this site, I have learned 2 things:
1. Don't even think about mentioning or starting a thread about changes to the lottery system
2. Steer clear of filthy skaters and greezy bikers

Oh for "F" Sakes!!!!! I'm so sick and tired of cry babies bringing this topic up every fricken year!!!!

Haha Holey mackerel KDM , You might want to pour yourself a double. As for "cry babies" bringing up this topic, If someone wants to discuss a topic that you are totally against does it automatically makes that person a cry baby ? Go drink and re-read my OP and my other posts on this topic and I'll go finish up my project and post later . In the mean time, If your so "ready to rumble" then drink up and read my OP again slow and then fetch the posts that you where whining about me being a crybaby and rub my nose in it and I'll respond to that when I get back. If anything it sounds like you are whining because you feel like you are getting picked on by others for debating a topic that you are against.
Also I could care less about how many other people that have the time and money to travel and hunt other states and use that claim for a feather in their hat in a North Dakota hunting debate, More power to those that can an do but that is a luxury. Kind of like telling someone on a tight budget with a worn out vehicle to just go buy a new one.

Petras, The bag of peanut M&Ms I as referring to in my post were the buck tags. The comparison of M&Ms and deer tags isn't a good one but the concept is the same.

Disclaimer: In case you missed my opening paragraph here it is : ( I don't have a dog in this fight because I get a gratis tag and haven't been to meetings to hear both sides of the story so all I know of this issue is what I see from a distance.) The reason I brought it up is because it seems like a lot of people I talked to this year didn't get a tag.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey- From the short time I have been on this site, I have learned 2 things:
1. Don't even think about mentioning or starting a thread about changes to the lottery system
2. Steer clear of filthy skaters and greezy bikers

bc1e1891cf82d38da42205a3b9c7bac05a52f30bd9f854d49deb771f9d3f691a.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, if you do a search on NDA, you will come up with at least 3 years of "Discussion" on this topic that will contain the same "Broken Record" arguments for a one tag system. This topic has been discussed to death and the one tag system has been shown to be lacking in all areas. So, other than the illustrations of cry baby, whiner, and other descriptions, can you "Discuss" anything in my post that's untrue?? Do you have something new to bring to the table or just the same old arguments for a one tag system?? If not, enjoy your gratis tags, post pics of your success, and I'll be happy for you. Until then, I'll attack the one tag system every single time it comes up with 8 year old fever, grown up debate skills, and an adult education.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for "F" Sakes!!!!! I'm so sick and tired of cry babies bringing this topic up every fricken year!!!! The system is just fine the way it is. It works and needs no adjustments. Everyone has the same chance of drawing a tag. LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Here's a thought, instead of whining about what other folks get and how you think the system SCREWED YOU, WHY NOT spend that time and effort figuring out how to maximize your own hunting opportunities instead of trying to wreck everyone elses? Maybe MN, MT, or SD may have something to offer??? Oh that's right, if you can't hunt exactly where you want, exactly how you want, with exactly who you want EVERY YEAR for 30 bucks, the system HAS to be broken. F THAT!!!! I just finished a Supremely Awesome big game season where I shot 5 bucks and one doe and only one was from ND. NEWS FLASH WHINERS.......other states have deer and tags that can be purchased over the counter EVERY YEAR!!!!! And keep the money excuse in your purses. That dog won't hunt. Drop a 20 in a jar twice a month. You'll be amazed what you can do with a bit of planning. Park that "I don't have time" BS in your garter belts too. I know guys that have less than 2 weeks of vacation and they amazingly find enough time to go on some great hunts along with everything else life forces a guy to use vacation on. You can tuck the "Travel Problem" complaints in your trusses as well. Seems it's perfectly OK to travel for Mule Deer, Elk, and Moose, family vacations, going to the lakes, weddings, sporting events etc. etc. etc., but NOT to hunt for white tails. WTF?? The statement "Piss Poor Planning on your part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on My Part" is so applicable here. Blame yourselves when you sit on the sidelines. OH CRAP, we can't blame ourselves!! That would make too much sense. LET'S BLAME THE GRATIS TAGS!!! It HAS to be the landowners who chose to buy land who are to blame for me not getting a tag exactly where I want to hunt. Put that garbage in with your Midol. Sniveling hunters find it MUCH easier to blame landowners, or anyone for that matter, instead of their own laziness, lack of forethought, lack of planning, and lack of preparation. Here's my thoughts: Change your hunting strategy instead of trying to change the system. I have ZERO sympathy for any of this. It's a self inflicted condition. Cheese and Rice!! Now I need a drink!! Bash Away Boys!!! I'm ready to rumble!!

As for the OP, draw straws to see who's lucky. It's a great life lesson on how everything doesn't always go your way all the time.

Exactly . Well said . Period..... thanks Kdm . Don't always agree with you but on this you are spot on

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After 50 years of working I wish I had the opportunity to go out and buy 160 acres that is selling for around $2,000/acre.
Not all of us have that opportunity.
Maybe one to many beers or one too many kids or just poor monies planning. But no, very few salary workers who are not doctors from the day they left home without an inheritance or taking over the family farm have that opportunity.
The last 160 acre I seen sell was for $472,000.
Waste land would be cheaper if there was some around to buy. Bought my 1.8 acres on a abandon RR for $500 so I got lucky except with small acres there are issues. Also a lot of land owners have allow me on their land but I will never qualify for a gratis (as a bow hunter I do not need one).
Right or wrong buying 160 acres is not one of the options for most of us. So I find other ways and there are other ways just not in buying land. db

Last edited:

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it is very important to look at what zone get the most applicants for the number of tags. Looking back at 2016 with a Unit such as 4B there were 337 Mule Deer buck tags after gratis with 2,579 applicants! Really, people wonder why they don't draw a tag. Use these numbers to your advantage and if you say Muley Buck or broke then you're going to be broke more often than you draw. Very simple.

Now this isn't the only example. 2B had 1000 buck tags but 512 after gratis (which I will agree is a lot of gratis tags) but still 3,799 applications for the 512 buck tags. Again poor average but same percentage at 13%.

I'm just saying there are areas that have a much higher percentage to draw a BUCK tag and multiple units where they don't fill the doe tags if people want to experience a hunt.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, if you do a search on NDA, you will come up with at least 3 years of "Discussion" on this topic that will contain the same "Broken Record" arguments for a one tag system. This topic has been discussed to death and the one tag system has been shown to be lacking in all areas. So, other than the illustrations of cry baby, whiner, and other descriptions, can you "Discuss" anything in my post that's untrue?? Do you have something new to bring to the table or just the same old arguments for a one tag system?? If not, enjoy your gratis tags, post pics of your success, and I'll be happy for you. Until then, I'll attack the one tag system every single time it comes up with 8 year old fever, grown up debate skills, and an adult education.

I didn't call you a liar , I was wondering why you would throw a temper tantrum over a topic that you are a self proclaimed expert on and say that anyone that doesn't agree with you are crybabies . Like I said earlier, show some sportsmanship or kick your lunch bucket down the road, Either way is no skin off my ass but I'd just as soon get along if we can. I don't care how many times ANY issue has been discussed before or who said what , If I feel like asking questions about it I will and you can bet your sweet ass I won't back away from the subject because of push back from someone that wants to sweep it under the rug. If this topic is that offending to you ask Vollmer to delete it . There, I hope that is the end of the squabbling, I'm looking foreword to you using your "grown up " debating skills and adult education.

Disclaimer: I'd have a drink , Hunt, Fish or anything else with you or anyone else on here but that doesn't mean I'm going to change my values or stance on anything or quit posting just to make someone else happy but I'll agree that we disagree and not have a chip on my shoulder over it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not advocating for a one tag system here at all. I know quality would hurt drasticly. What if we went to a everybody who applies gets a buck tag does are 100% of limits. Would it help the deer population overall increase over how the gnf is currently aloting tags. Again I not advocating just curious what the NDA think tank thinks.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
After not getting drawn for six straight years I just quit applying. If I need meat I just go get meat.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it is very important to look at what zone get the most applicants for the number of tags. Looking back at 2016 with a Unit such as 4B there were 337 Mule Deer buck tags after gratis with 2,579 applicants! Really, people wonder why they don't draw a tag. Use these numbers to your advantage and if you say Muley Buck or broke then you're going to be broke more often than you draw. Very simple.

Now this isn't the only example. 2B had 1000 buck tags but 512 after gratis (which I will agree is a lot of gratis tags) but still 3,799 applications for the 512 buck tags. Again poor average but same percentage at 13%.

I'm just saying there are areas that have a much higher percentage to draw a BUCK tag and multiple units where they don't fill the doe tags if people want to experience a hunt.

you may also notice that many of the units with low applicants also have minimal public land to hunt so having a tag in one of these units would be like having a pecker at a lesbian convention you may have it in your hand but the chances are pretty slim on using it.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man my brain hurts reading this thread...we need some cold temps and quick so we can get to ice fishing and bury this subject for another year.

Turtle

I don't know if I should post anything, for I got the trifecta of buck tags this year. First time getting a muzzleloader.

KDM is right on point, if you want two tags bow hunt, apply for muzzy. Thats why I started. The more kids I have the more tags I want, just to get out of the house.

I have been deer hunting for 18 years, archery for 15 years. In 15 years I have shot two bucks in one season only twice. I have only filled my rifle tag this year, will try this friday for the muzzy and bow after that. I doubt I will get all three but I can guarantee if I did my family would have no problem eating all the meat. Because that should be the reason why we hunt. I like free range, organic flesh on my plate. Leave the tags alone, I believe this system works the best. And rewards the ones who work the hardest for them. Not the lazy.

Speaking of flesh, I got a cow moose tag last year, Damn that was some of the best meat I have ever had. I have had moose before, mainly from canada, but this moose was something special. If there is a ND success story It would be our moose population right now.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
These topics are just pure trolling. Getting more like fishing buddy every day.

How many on here shot more than 1o deer a year? 20?

Turtle

Let me add I only hunt deer on public land, walking access only. Its not easy but very rewarding.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if I should post anything, for I got the trifecta of buck tags this year. First time getting a muzzleloader.

KDM is right on point, if you want two tags bow hunt, apply for muzzy. Thats why I started. The more kids I have the more tags I want, just to get out of the house.

I have been deer hunting for 18 years, archery for 15 years. In 15 years I have shot two bucks in one season only twice. I have only filled my rifle tag this year, will try this friday for the muzzy and bow after that. I doubt I will get all three but I can guarantee if I did my family would have no problem eating all the meat. Because that should be the reason why we hunt. I like free range, organic flesh on my plate. Leave the tags alone, I believe this system works the best. And rewards the ones who work the hardest for them. Not the lazy.

Speaking of flesh, I got a cow moose tag last year, Damn that was some of the best meat I have ever had. I have had moose before, mainly from canada, but this moose was something special. If there is a ND success story It would be our moose population right now.

Moose population success ? They killed them off with cow tags in M6 and m8 . Hardly a moose walking in eastern nd

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 130
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 64