• Did you get a deer ?

Votes: 63 49.2%
  • Did you get a deer license ?

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Did you get 2 deer licenses ?

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer licenses ?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Did you see less deer this year than usual ?

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Did you get 2 deer ?

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Did you get 3 or more deer ?

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Do you wish you would have gotten a deer license ?

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Does this poll anger you ?

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • Was this poll helpfull ?

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a dog in this fight because I get a gratis tag and haven't been to meetings to hear both sides of the story so all I know of this issue is what I see from a distance. This is more of a question than an opinion but I cant get past the similarity of having 5 kids and 3 bags of M&Ms Henry wants two bags and Lars and sven and the other two say if Henry gets two, I want two bags too. If you were the responsible Dad would you say lets settle this by dividing them up equally or would you say "You guys should just shake dice for them" ? Same scenario , If you were one of the kids what would you want Your Dad to say ?

Two part honest question for a two part honest answer.

WhiskeyRebellion

I am probably stepping in it here, but I think with deer numbers so low, gratis tags should be for antler-less deer only. Also the GNF should make it so you can only have one buck tag. Meaning if you draw a buck tag with your rifle or muzzleloader, your archery tag is only good for antler-less deer. And while they are at it make it so you can only apply for rifle or muzzleloader not both. Hopefully we add CRP acres in the next farm bill, and the deer numbers rebound to where they where 10 years ago.

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am probably stepping in it here, but I think with deer numbers so low, gratis tags should be for antler-less deer only. Also the GNF should make it so you can only have one buck tag. Meaning if you draw a buck tag with your rifle or muzzleloader, your archery tag is only good for antler-less deer. And while they are at it make it so you can only apply for rifle or muzzleloader not both. Hopefully we add CRP acres in the next farm bill, and the deer numbers rebound to where they where 10 years ago.

If deer numbers are low why should we kill more does? ,

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a dog in this fight because I get a gratis tag and haven't been to meetings to hear both sides of the story so all I know of this issue is what I see from a distance. This is more of a question than an opinion but I cant get past the similarity of having 5 kids and 3 bags of M&Ms Henry wants two bags and Lars and sven and the other two say if Henry gets two, I want two bags too. If you were the responsible Dad would you say lets settle this by dividing them up equally or would you say "You guys should just shake dice for them" ? Same scenario , If you were one of the kids what would you want Your Dad to say ?

Two part honest question for a two part honest answer.

your scenario of 5 kids and 3 bags of M&Ms is not an accurate representation of the NDGF tag system... For it to be accurate it would have to be 5 kids, 7 Bags of M&Ms. Each kid is guaranteed 1 bag (archery tag if they choose to hunt with stick and string) and the extra 2 bags would be up for grabs by random chance...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
your scenario of 5 kids and 3 bags of M&Ms is not an accurate representation of the NDGF tag system... For it to be accurate it would have to be 5 kids, 7 Bags of M&Ms. Each kid is guaranteed 1 bag (archery tag if they choose to hunt with stick and string) and the extra 2 bags would be up for grabs by random chance...

I'll let others keep you honest on that but it sounds far fetched , Mine might have been too .

How about if only one bag had peanuts and the other two were plain and Henry wants all the peanut M&Ms ?

WhiskeyRebellion

I don't think it would have an effect on the population either way. Way less habitat to rebound from tough winters is the problem with population. That said, As a land owner you should be able to get a tag every year, but why does it have to be for a buck? I just think that if gratis tags where only issued for does only there would be a lot less gratis tags issued. People would stop abusing the system by getting gratis tags for their wife, kids, ect who don't hunt. I might just be bitter, but I have a hard time knowing of people who shoot multiple bucks each year (usually by taking a buck they would/should have passed on) with the help of their "wives" gratis tag. Sometimes not even on their own land. I can only imagine the change in draw odds overnight if gratis tags went to does only or even god forbid capped(as in every other state). I if you want a buck tag apply for one like everyone else. Picture this, me a, public land hunter. I start putting in to draw a tag for my wife and kids with the intent of to using it myself. You know for better odds, or just in case I shoot a deer and see a wall hanger after. That would be terrible. Its wrong and it lowers everyone's odds of drawing. Being able to do that with a gratis is so much worse, because you are guaranteed a tag. Which in turn removes a buck tag from that unit screwing everyone who applies for that unit. The system needs to be changed. Every citizen of the state should be on equal footing in a drawing. Should I be guaranteed a winning lottery ticket just because i own the gas station where you can get tickets?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was in the early 80s deer populations state wide were low and they had a bucks only season.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone inform me of why and when the gratis tag system was implemented? And why we still have it? I'm not saying im against it, just curious

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a one tag system in sodak. I got one tag for any whitetail west river I got one tag for any whitetail east river I got one tag for archery I got on tag for any antlerless whitetail muzzleloader. If I wanted I would have one tag for Black hills deer.

Serious question I hunt with on 40 miles of the nd border and there are less deer but I still see a bunch. What is the difference between the two states?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gratis tag=a bunch of state representatives own a bunch of land and decide they need free license because they can.:;:stirthepot

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dumbest f'n post I've ever seen . Yeh let's kill more does ... there shouldn't be a doe tag in state ... mule deer numbers were down this year and they still sold mule doe tags !

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone inform me of why and when the gratis tag system was implemented? And why we still have it? I'm not saying im against it, just curious

80s I believe . And get used to it it's not going anywhere .

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure what the answer is. The loss of habitat has to be a massive part. The way I got my second deer was to start bow hunting. Got a nice mature doe. I just need meat in the freezer damnit!

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member

No idea if I’m right or not but North Dakota’s a land owners state. Very little public land. So if you piss of the landowners there will be very little land for the majority to hunt. I think it’s the game and fishes way of give a little get a little. That being said a lot of hunters have been so biter about gratis’s and landowners in recent history = why everything you see is posted.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]I can tell you that ND had 107,000+ applicants for 54,500 for rifle in 2017, I cannot find SD numbers but did find this information below from a Outdoor Life source for what it's worth, look like SD harvests a much higher # of deer and able to maintain a steady or increasing population of deer. It could be tougher winters up here, the habitat available for cover and many other factor as discussed in past, less CRP, less tree rows and disease have really hurt us and many reasons but we are struggling to maintain or increase out population up here.

South Dakota[/h]Species: Whitetails and mule deer
Estimated population: no estimate
Fall 2016-’17 harvest: whitetails: about 28,000 bucks, 18,900 does (46,900 total); muleys: about 5,300 bucks, 1,200 does (6,500 total)
Overall outlook: Andy Lindbloom, senior big-game biologist with the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, reports that state mule deer numbers are increasing slowly. “Growth rates have been low, and in some areas, mule deer herds are stable to slightly decreasing,” he said.
Meanwhile, whitetail numbers are increasing at a faster pace.
“Still, some areas have been set back by severe winter weather and epizootic hemorrhagic disease outbreaks,” says Lindbloom.

[h=2]North Dakota[/h]Species: Whitetails and mule deer
Estimated population: no estimate
Fall 2016-’17 harvest: 24,870 whitetails and 4,431 mule deer (or about 29,300 total deer)
Overall outlook: Bill Jensen, big-game biologist for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, reports that deer numbers are stable across the state.

We have a one tag system in sodak. I got one tag for any whitetail west river I got one tag for any whitetail east river I got one tag for archery I got on tag for any antlerless whitetail muzzleloader. If I wanted I would have one tag for Black hills deer.

Serious question I hunt with on 40 miles of the nd border and there are less deer but I still see a bunch. What is the difference between the two states?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is funny. I can't wait for the butt hurt "I haven't had a tag in 20 years" hunters to chime in. I got my two tags as usual, and both will get filled. I'll even have a good chance of getting all three next year ;).

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
No idea if I’m right or not but North Dakota’s a land owners state. Very little public land. So if you piss of the landowners there will be very little land for the majority to hunt. I think it’s the game and fishes way of give a little get a little. That being said a lot of hunters have been so biter about gratis’s and landowners in recent history = why everything you see is posted.

How would that change from what is happening now?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member

On the first part of your post, thats 4 deer tags for you. Not ruffling ya Kurtr, but do you actually consume that much venison yearly to warrant taking 4 deer yearly? I understand you like to hunt, we all do. I am a household of one and I can't even consume all the sausage i get from one deer yearly, that I actually have overlapping meat in the freezer to the point I start giving it away to make room for the next deer, two deer is sufficient for me, even tho I am the only one that hunts in my immediate family, so some of the sausage get passed around.

Second part, which part of the ND border you closest too? east side? west side? From south central to the east side the terrian is different along with habitat, but that is a good question as to why one state has more deer than the other in relations to the border area.

On side note, congrats to all that were successful during the rifle season, I did not fill, shot once, missed, didn't see the one I wanted so it was tag soup for me, saw deer but many were little bucks. I have bow tag and not even sure if that will get filled.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the first part of your post, thats 4 deer tags for you. Not ruffling ya Kurtr, but do you actually consume that much venison yearly to warrant taking 4 deer yearly? I understand you like to hunt, we all do. I am a household of one and I can't even consume all the sausage i get from one deer yearly, that I actually have overlapping meat in the freezer to the point I start giving it away to make room for the next deer, two deer is sufficient for me, even tho I am the only one that hunts in my immediate family, so some of the sausage get passed around.

I know, personally, that three deer a year would be just right for my four-unit family. Last year I got two (one rifle buck and one archery doe) and the only reason I have three roasts left, two pounds of ground, and two packages of backstrap is because the moment I found out I didn't pull a rifle tag this year we reduced our weekly consumption rate to make it last. This year I still haven't punched my archery tag, and if I don't get a deer I know that's in the neighborhood of $160 extra dollars I'll have to spend on grocery store meat this year. Which stings, because I'll already be spending that much extra since I only pulled one tag and not two. So if I go deer-less, we'll need to purchase over $300 worth of meat to make up the difference that two deer make. With two full-time daycare bills, a mortgage and all the other expenses of raising a young family, that's money I'd love to use elsewhere! And since the bird hunting hasn't been nearly as fruitful this fall as falls past, a deer or two or three would really help fill the void.

But then someone can throw out "well if you didn't hunt it would be cheaper to buy meat from the store anyone." To which I counteract with "my only hobbies are hunting and fishing and that's what I spend my free time doing." I suppose if I could stomach professional sports, video games or some other gut-growing, mind-rot fodder, it would make sense to grocery stop instead of hunt.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46