Packing Heat when fishing?

JoGa

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big guy and take care of myself fairly well in (lets say) human misunderstandings. I've found many of these misunderstandings occur while in and around the water, when people should be out having fun versus getting mad/upset about things. Of course, often the added (FUN) of drinking alcohol by some people fuels the fire to this (not so fun) altercation equation. Also I had an incident take place about 5 years ago that shook even me a bit. This incident caused me to seek and get my own Concealed Weapons Permit. I now carry my pistol when on the highway traveling to different far away locations or while fishing at night.

It was a night trip that caused me to take this action. While quiting fishing for the night on a local river, I was confronted by a young male leaning against my pickup truck in the deserted, dark parking lot at about 5:00am in the morning. From a slight distance I asked the interloper what was going on? He ask me if I had caught any fish? I replied yes, both me and my buddy had limited out. He then asks if he could have a couple of these fish to take home? I said sure, you have a bag or a cooler we can put a couple in? He says nope, How about you give me your cooler? At that point my (MAD) meter started to kick in. I tell him, look if you don't have anything to put these fish in, I'd appreciate you getting away from my truck so I can hook up my boat and leave. Out of the darkness another voice say's, Hey don't get all jacked out of shape or you might get hurt. I spin on my heals and head back to the launch and tell my bud to call 911 on his cell phone. Neither one of the two guys follow me down to the ramp as there is lights there. The 911 operator tells me that my call is not an emergency. I tell her in so many words that it may soon be one if they don't send a police car. Ten minutes later a police car pulls into the parking lot. I tell the officers what happened and they search the parking lot area and find nobody of course. They tell me they have been getting complaints from night fishermen of batteries being stolen, cars/trucks being broken into and one assault by one guy all alone pulling out one night.

So, in this day and age it seems even fishing is frought with dangers not so obvious. What do you guys think of this problem and my solution to it?

---------------

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty sure when one of the group gets shot at, the others are going to thin out quite quickly and never be heard from again. They rely on the fact that we are out there to have a good time and not thinking about much else. As an old friend always used to tell me "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 any day of the week".

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND isn't the same as it used to be. There was always the possibility of a situation like yours happening, but it has gotten worse over the past 5 years. I'm usually armed anymore if away from home and generally have a pistol in the boat too.

In looking at your event, you did the right thing whether you were armed or not. Retreating and de-escalation is always your best option and it worked in your case. Now had they followed you and put the squeeze on you...different story.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long before the oil boom population explosion, when I left a gas/bait store after paying for my gas and buying a few minnows, I found three n'er-do-wells checking out the tackle in my boat. When I asked if I could help them I was informed that an old man was going to get hurt and he was going to lose his stuff. They changed their minds after I lifted my right shirt tail. Their conversation changed to "crazy old men." Yup, I've had a CCW since the Sinner Administration.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm always ready for rattlesnakes in my country. Both kinds

imagejpeg

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out fishing is one of those times that you are potentially vulnerable. You can be in an isolated area with help a ways off. Someone can get the idea that you have a few dollars on you or that they can pawn your equipment. Then there are always the few individuals out there that are whacked-out on something.

It is going to be interesting how things go in the oil patch this summer. Did everyone get the memo that jobs are not as plentiful as they were? Are desperate people going to show up with nothing, hoping to get a job and have a tough time finding one? Lower wages? If hours are cut for workers, could that lead to more free time in which folks could get into trouble?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summer of 2013 I drove to the Sakakawea ramp by Totten trail. It was not light out yet and as I approached the ramp, a lady ran in front of my truck at the ramp. It was then I saw some people parked near the ramp with a small fire going. I get out prepare the boat to launch and start backing down. The lady follows me down the ramp and asked if she could help. In the lights of my truck I could tell she has some missing teeth and was really high on something. It was then I realized I had my CCW in the truck and reached in and put in my pocket.. I had a very strange feeling that this might not go so well and I told her thanks but I could do it myself.
She ran back up the ramp back to her group as I drove up to park. I had the pistol in my pocket as I locked the truck and walked by them back down to the boat to head out fishing. The lady was maybe 30 and the others at the fire looked to be same age. Seemed like some transient meth heads, it was a very weird deal. After I launched I stayed in the bay pretending to fish and kept any eye on the group maybe a half hour until they packed up and left

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason a got ccw permit was to carry while wader fishing the Missouri at night. Always got the hibbies jibbies down there alone at night. Now I carry it everywhere.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
You pretty much have to these days. Lot of weird stuff going on especially if you night fish. I'm pretty sure most of us who shore fish at night from shore have a story or two. Especially public parks and access points seem to be a magnet for the shady.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
never used to , now always have had no problems as of yet , but fishing at night and coming in after dark seems to bring the people running out of phase down to the boat ramps I don't know if they kick them out of the walmarts and they have no place else to go or what

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of theft going on in western ND right now. My neighbor had his bobcat attempted to be stolen twice in the last month. They ran off both times and they couldn't catch em.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of theft going on in western ND right now. My neighbor had his bobcat attempted to be stolen twice in the last month. They ran off both times and they couldn't catch em.

That's for sure, seems like either equipment or anything ATV that isn't chained to the earth's core tries to get moved.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out by myself one evening this week. While approaching the ramp I could see two vehicles at the parking lot and the guys were out of their vehicle. For some reason they high-tailed it out of there before I even hit the shore. Maybe everything was innocent, maybe they were up to no good.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't feel comfortable without a firearm around. Period. It's like not having your wallet or nowadays cell phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, what's everybody's favorite bell sinker?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure it's illegal to conceal carry while fishing and all hunting stave for bow hunting. Please verify mr. Expert.

The Mantis

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't feel comfortable without a firearm around. Period. It's like not having your wallet or nowadays cell phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, what's everybody's favorite bell sinker?

I like all bell sinkers, except the really cheap ones that break... You?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74