Pellet Smokers.....which one?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The convenience is the mega driver - can’t imagine how many “unSmart” models they sell vs Smart.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The convenience is the mega driver - can’t imagine how many “unSmart” models they sell vs Smart.
Agreed.
I can remember the charcoal days, getting a couple beer but chickens on at around 2 pm, taking the boat to the beach for a few hours, and hoping for the best back at camp. It somehow always worked out. Or maybe the day at the beach made it irrelevant, it was always gobbled up and appreciated.

Putting a Brisket on the grill and being able to leave it for several hours, and being able to check temps (and being able to raise and lower them if needed), check amount of pellets left, and temp of meat from ones phone is pretty stellar.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This fancy effr I just picked up this afternoon has a down draft smoke lid, which is supposed to circulate the smoke around the cook area much more than the old design. It also has a "super smoke" option, with the push of a button it should add considerably more smoke.

Of course I haven't tried it yet, and it will likely be a week or so, as we have now dipped into the -40 range.

As far as pellet grills being to easy, I guess that is exactly what I am looking for. Driving my pickup is pretty easy too, but I am sure you hikers out there think I suck for not also hiking, and taking that easy drive home from work each day..
What kind did you get?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Yoder is "unSmart", but for $440 I can upgrade my controller to smart. I've been trying to decide for a couple years or so if it would be worth it. And in that time the parts have jumped at least $100. I've done overnight cooks and all day cooks (while at work) without issues so far. Probably not the smartest thing to do. I do have security cams to make sure my house isn't burning down though.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Yoder is "unSmart", but for $440 I can upgrade my controller to smart. I've been trying to decide for a couple years or so if it would be worth it. And in that time the parts have jumped at least $100. I've done overnight cooks and all day cooks (while at work) without issues so far. Probably not the smartest thing to do. I do have security cams to make sure my house isn't burning down though.
Not a bad idea, put the smoker in front of the camera, with all the other options available on the Traeger phone app, I would also be "watching" it. Almost like I am there tending it while actually not being there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14