Pike tip up baits

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use smelt, and have had good luck doing so, but I have heard of other people using hot dogs and other things. Just wanted to know what you have luck with.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually use the biggest smelt I can find. Haven't tried hot dogs before. Either way, I'll catch a northern by accident more times than on purpose.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use the red hotdogs. Walleye Guy swears by them!! :;:exactly:;:smokin Take some buns with you can always heat them up for dinner!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
There have been times when I have had much better luck with small smelt than large, even for larger fish. I remember one time specifically I couldnt get a bite till I switched all my 6-8 inch smelt out for 3-4 inch ones and then the fishing picked right up. I guess it just depends what the fish are in the mood for.

- - - Updated - - -

Frozen suckers or if you can frozen herring is the best

I used to buy herring and smelt and never had much luck with the herring.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
people fish for pike on purpose? ;:;rofl

Guilty as charged... If they could GM them to be non slimy, theyd be the perfect freshwater sport AND food fish!
Jeremy-Wade-5.jpg

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guilty as charged... If they could GM them to be non slimy, theyd be the perfect freshwater sport AND food fish!

agreed - the super slime is what influences me to not target them

with that said the fish is fun, quite delicious, and to be admired.

carry on pike fishermen! I salute you! :cool:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There have been times when I have had much better luck with small smelt than large, even for larger fish. I remember one time specifically I couldnt get a bite till I switched all my 6-8 inch smelt out for 3-4 inch ones and then the fishing picked right up. I guess it just depends what the fish are in the mood for.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to buy herring and smelt and never had much luck with the herring.

I guess I have had good luck herring, I like to.throw the herring or sucker into the sink overnight to thaw, goes on the smelt.hook much easier. Smelly but that is why herring is best very oily and much tougher than smelt.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't ice fish because it's cold. I request someone try soaking a big Gulp Alive swimbait this year.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy, they do. I'm thinking multiple fish on single presentation.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smelt works the best for me. In this area it seems pike will choose the dead meat every time over the live. Never tried the hot dogs, maybe one of these days I throw one down. I usually use a treble pushed up through a smelt then put a minnow, usually a tiny one I probably won't use for anything else, on one of the points sticking out just to give it a little wiggle. I plan on trying some cut goldeye this winter, when fishing for cats when the water is clear enough to have the pike moving in the river it seems like you can't keep them off the bait.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chicken gizzards soaked in pigs blood. Haha! I am fairly confident that any bait used on the show swamp people would make excellent like bait.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33