Property Tax Increase

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A pox upon every stupid asshole who didn’t vote to eliminate them when we had the chance!!!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
In about 2013 the county did a property assessment and our valuations went up. That same year the North Dakota Treasury had a billion dollar surplus and the legislature did a 12% buy down. Between the two it was a zero sum game. My taxes were the very same.

The billion dollar surplus is gone and now the legislature is looking for an off ramp.

It's not that there isn't enough tax money coming in. We have a spending problem. Each time an industry grows like oil or coal or dairy, the government waistline grows with it. Agencies and staff. But when industry contracts agencies and staff remain. In the article Rep. Headland mentions agencies have to make cuts. Watch.....they will cut services to you but are not going to cut staff.

On the flip side.....the NDSU Extension Service has been told to cut 3%. They have decided to cut 5 county extension agents. LEAVING it up to "us" to DECIDE or fight it out between the counties. We are as predictable as Pavlov's Dog. Already howling to our legislators how my county agent must stay and these cuts to be unfair. Well played NDSU Extension.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was one here in GF (the most LIBERAL city in ND) that said the state property tax buydown is a BAD thing. The local Government here is crazy on spending. It makes me want to puke.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
My home valuation (new tax advice received yesterday) is about inline with what I'd thought. Pretty closely mirrors what Zillow claims our house should be worth. It only matters of course, if/when you sell.

In the meantime, our tax liability went up.

Live in-town in Bismarck.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody else get a statement lately for their property taxes? I didn't even realize it but for a few years, the state was giving everyone a 12% credit on their taxes but the Legislature took that away this summer. My taxes went up by about 10%. I'm outside of city limits in Bismarck.

I would frame it this way: The legislature quit paying the 12%, not "took it away". It is my understanding that instead of paying the 12%, the state now pays for something, I can't remember what, that your taxes used to pay for. This appears to be reflected in my tax bill so I believe it is true. My tax liability for Bismarck actually dropped $100 but what I owe actually went up $300 because the state is not paying the 12% or $400 any longer. Also, my statement still indicates that I got nearly $2K in "legislative tax relief", can you imagine your bill without that?

Don't get me wrong, I voted down property taxes and would do so again.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How come they send the tax bills out right before Christmas?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
A pox upon every stupid asshole who didn’t vote to eliminate them when we had the chance!!!

The simple reality is as fritz says until people will control those they elect when it comes to spending WE will pay taxes in one form or another to cover the tab.

I am no fan of property tax as it never allows true ownership of property, but the "pox" of the loss of that "chance" mentioned should fall on those that sponsored the measure and never came up with a means to ensure rural/small communities had viable priority in the allocation of needed funds.

In the discussion during that measure NO ONE ever told us how far down the line a town like Antler ND would have been behind Fargo in prioritization of funding at the legislative level.

The simple truth is Antler could put a 75% sales tax on goods sold there and not receive enough funding to paint the town sign. So do the residents of these small towns and rural communities stand in line begging for the scraps that fall off Fargo, Minot and Bismarck's tables where many do pay increased sales taxes to pay for city improvements?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ours went up about $200. I figured I'll forget about in the hopes my son becomes a failed hockey player only find out that he's really proficient at hitting a golf ball a long ways. Eventually making the PGA tour and making enough money to pay the back taxes.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
How come they send the tax bills out right before Christmas?

Because the government is blind to religion, right so to them, Christmas doesn't exist. ::: They send them out right before the end of the year.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what happened for those past few years. The State started this 'buy down' thing and sent bulk funds to each town/city for property tax reduction. HOWEVER, each city was clever on making more money from the issue by increasing your home taxable values. In the end each city made MORE money than necessary. My taxes never went down. Yes, the State paid down the amount, but with the constant increases to taxable values my slip each year required increases to what I owed.

Now the State stops the buy-down process and, as home owners, we're stuck with another increase to our taxation. Add another $225 this year to the other $225 the past three years and I'm now paying $700/yr more than I was in 2013.

I also live outside of city limits of Bismarck.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
The simple reality is as fritz says until people will control those they elect when it comes to spending WE will pay taxes in one form or another to cover the tab.

I am no fan of property tax as it never allows true ownership of property, but the "pox" of the loss of that "chance" mentioned should fall on those that sponsored the measure and never came up with a means to ensure rural/small communities had viable priority in the allocation of needed funds.

In the discussion during that measure NO ONE ever told us how far down the line a town like Antler ND would have been behind Fargo in prioritization of funding at the legislative level.

The simple truth is Antler could put a 75% sales tax on goods sold there and not receive enough funding to paint the town sign. So do the residents of these small towns and rural communities stand in line begging for the scraps that fall off Fargo, Minot and Bismarck's tables where many do pay increased sales taxes to pay for city improvements?

Small schools are hurt by the State Foundation Aid funding formula. It really takes local control out of the picture. Favors schools with larger student bodies. Local control my ass. But voters can only blame themselves. Local governing bodies do not know how to calculate a budget and how to levy taxes. I bet 75% do not know how to calculate income based on the mill levy system.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my beef with property taxes. Why should I have to pay for services I do not use? I do not have kids, why should I pay for your kids school? 75% of the fricking tax money goes to the damn school! I'd rather see my entire property tax bill go to fix and maintain my township road that I actually use. I had to pay to put a new culvert in the damn thing myself because the fricking township was broke!:mad:

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
So I live in West Fargo - My taxes per the statement I received on Saturday will go up $247 per month. They are talking about building yet another elementary school and another middle school. My question to them all along has been why are my taxes going up with all the increased residential and commercial property in the city - they are all new tax revenue plus the infrastructure increase is covered by the specials assessed to the properties. All I get is the blank stare.....and yes I'm pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have argued in the past with a few Representatives and Senators in our State Government about "them" payiing the 12% buy-down. I said it isn't yours or the State's money it is the tax-payers money not the States. They would just say "whatever" and walk away.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ours went up about $200. I figured I'll forget about in the hopes my son becomes a failed hockey player only find out that he's really proficient at hitting a golf ball a long ways. Eventually making the PGA tour and making enough money to pay the back taxes.

I know a guy that can teach him to play golf. Just saying.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Small schools are hurt by the State Foundation Aid funding formula. It really takes local control out of the picture. Favors schools with larger student bodies. Local control my ass. But voters can only blame themselves. Local governing bodies do not know how to calculate a budget and how to levy taxes. I bet 75% do not know how to calculate income based on the mill levy system.

​Why is the mill system used??? Is there a simpler system??? I want to puke every time our politicians say "we lowered the mills" But our taxes still go up.

- - - Updated - - -

I have argued in the past with a few Representatives and Senators in our State Government about "them" payiing the 12% buy-down. I said it isn't yours or the State's money it is the tax-payers money not the States. They would just say "whatever" and walk away.

​ASSHATS all of them!!!

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
​Why is the mill system used??? Is there a simpler system??? I want to puke every time our politicians say "we lowered the mills" But our taxes still go up.

- - - Updated - - -

​ASSHATS all of them!!!

It is actually simple. People are just ignorant.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my beef with property taxes. Why should I have to pay for services I do not use? I do not have kids, why should I pay for your kids school? 75% of the fricking tax money goes to the damn school! I'd rather see my entire property tax bill go to fix and maintain my township road that I actually use. I had to pay to put a new culvert in the damn thing myself because the fricking township was broke!:mad:

I doubt this is true. 75%?? If we go down this rabbit hole you might prove how ignorant people are about what their taxes pay for.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the mills go down but the valuations go up! Another issue I have with property tax is it's punitive. If I live in a rat infested fire hazard my property tax is lower then if I keep my place clean and updated. Brilliant!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 87
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31