Public land transfer bill

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously the state wants the mineral profit more than any surface benefits.
That’s what the deal is about. That’s the first thing that I thought of. The state keeps the same trust acres and now can access minerals= more state money for the coffers. Normally I’d agree that’s a good thing but given the track record of them fucking away our money while our costs keep rising….. I’m gunna have to go with the no more allowance until you prove you can spend it wisely theme here.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you may have missed the part where when it comes to minerals (at least), the State was in a net zero win/loss situation. Hence, my question about TAT. Someone is winning in this, and if it's not the State or Feds, that really only leaves TAT.
Of course the tribes win the most. They get free land. The state keeps the same “acres” only now gets better mineral producing acres instead of landlocked acres on the Rez. You know who gets fucked the most? The average taxpayer outdoor enthusiast. I’m all for this trade if a the acres of public land stay the same as before and the new “state” land is managed for multi use or with wildlife a predominant management priority.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, TAT has been trying for years to get control of everything along Sak that is currently held by the Corps at an elevation of around 1854 (or, was it 1860?). There's no good in that for the State or its non-native residents in such a land transfer to the Tribal Governments. They get it incorporated into the boundary of the reservation and that completely changes access to non-natives.
Or worse… they pull out the subsistence/commercial netting bullshit and wipe the lake out completely. I would hope and pray they embrace and realize the sustainability of the entertainment/lodging/recreation aspect of the lake which it seems they are pointing that direction now. I would hope to god they aren’t that dumb to think they could commercially net it

Tinesdown

Established Member
Obviously the state wants the mineral profit more than any surface benefits.
Yea i know of the are lost bridge area . That has to be a bill that nodak ers know about so how can we get that thing up front on the forum. The area is great for hunting if they are tring to keep it from the taxpayers im in on hunting rights bill.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Or worse… they pull out the subsistence/commercial netting bullshit and wipe the lake out completely. I would hope and pray they embrace and realize the sustainability of the entertainment/lodging/recreation aspect of the lake which it seems they are pointing that direction now. I would hope to god they aren’t that dumb to think they could commercially net it
Yeah man when is this bill bieng published the area is a great place to hunt also van hook gma an all the corps of engineering and lets keep it state.also does this take all state game management areas down on the reservation.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Of course the tribes win the most. They get free land. The state keeps the same “acres” only now gets better mineral producing acres instead of landlocked acres on the Rez. You know who gets fucked the most? The average taxpayer outdoor enthusiast. I’m all for this trade if a the acres of public land stay the same as before and the new “state” land is managed for multi use or with wildlife a predominant management priority.
How can we fight this i hope armstrong is against this bill

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m quite certain Armstrong is behind this bill or at least not being transparent to his constituents about it. Those who stand to benefit the most are the oil companies that will get the minerals and the tribe. The state will get paid too for the rest of the buddies to squander. This is a buddy deal. This is a “Yellowstone” type of deal. Armstrong may want to provide some details and make it appealing to sportsmen…. He hasn’t won the governor’s race yet and I’m not sure I like this backdoor type of shit already….

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah man when is this bill bieng published the area is a great place to hunt also van hook gma an all the corps of engineering and lets keep it state.also does this take all state game management areas down on the reservation.
It’s only state trust land on the Rez. Not wmas. School trust land from my understanding.

Tinesdown

Established Member
I’m quite certain Armstrong is behind this bill or at least not being transparent to his constituents about it. Those who stand to benefit the most are the oil companies that will get the minerals and the tribe. The state will get paid too for the rest of the buddies to squander. This is a buddy deal. This is a “Yellowstone” type of deal. Armstrong may want to provide some details and make it appealing to sportsmen…. He hasn’t won the governor’s race yet and I’m not sure I like this backdoor type of shit already….
Bro that sounds terrible. Call me i have a now 7706939

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one know the details yet. Settle down Cletus….. I’m understanding it’ll trade state trust land on the Rez for BLM land. Only sizable chunks of blm land that I’m aware of are down by the Montana border south of bowman and some fairly hard to access parcels off the little Missouri. You bet your ass if they changed those to state trust land they would have it closed to hunting immediately.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
So actually this could end badly for nd sportsman. They lose trust lands that are open to state hunting within the Rez and they also could lose hunting on the new “state trust” or the old BLM lands they used to be able to access. Yea this is definitely a bullshit deal. Brock this is the one you want to spend your time on. Put the cwd away and focus on this one

Tinesdown

Established Member
That is a joke bro i am the best dude u will ever talk to try it.
The reason i care is that land is or has been an area that is close to home i know it dosnt matter. white people will still hunt it but dont come an anexx it that is crap. Just as the electronic postong bill.

Tinesdown

Established Member
H.R. 2405/ S.1088

IMG_8146.jpeg

Currently, there is approximately 37,000 acres of surface Trust lands within reservations. Most of which are in the standing rock reservation. If this bill passes those acres would then belong to the tribe. The state would then get to pick from another approx 180,000 acres of mineral acres from the BLM that would be transferred to the state.

This transfer would happen no public involvement, no public comment, and could result in a huge loss of public land acres in western ND.

It’s important to note that it’s not a guarantee this bill results in a negative impact to public land holdings. But again, it could result in a significant loss of public land depending one the details of the transfer.

North Dakota BHA wants transparency in this process. We may not oppose certain transfers if it’s a fair deal for the public hunters. But we want to know which acres of surface and mineral are being targeted, and why the Tribe is not being asked to trade 10,000 acres they’ve purchased outside of the fort berthold on the SW corner of the reservation. See below.

Red line is approx reservation boundary
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

With any public land transfer the public should be able to participate in the process and comment on which lands they are ok with transferring and which they are not.

Instead, our federal delegation will not respond to any requests about transparency and will not give any information as to which acres (surface or mineral) are being targeted.

The trust lands department has already sold off over 70% of the lands granted at statehood through the enabling act. And there is nothing that would prevent them from trading lands and then turning around selling them off.

I will update when I know more. For now, we are opposing this bill due to a lack of transparency. We do not support open ended land transfers that could result in the loss of 10s of thousand of acres of public land, public access, and public hunting opportunities.
Brock sw have seen u on forums hunt talk i know where u hunt but lets try to inform people about these bills (baker is a good town) i used to drive out that it blew my mind how few mulies on that gumbo i saw more coyote than mules once saw a coyote Broad daylight tring to eat a mule fawn an the doe was agressive running it off. Thought to kill that big dog wanting to eat that mule deer. Also had an asshole charge me with hunting on posted land in north dakota cerkony in billings that is bullshit.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not here to throw a wrench into the discussion, I'm more curious about certain events that have taken place not so long ago. Everyone remembers the class action suit that was brought against the department of interior over the mismanagement of natural resources as well as foreclosure of trust land. Obama helped settle the lawsuit as well as allotted federal funding where land that was fractured could be purchased with these funds. I presume this is the land that the federal government is trying to sell back to the tribe since it was technically alloted to individuals who were given 180 and a mule.
So is this land being sold by highest bid or is the federal gov giving the reservation first dibs?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 60
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 20