Residential Snowblowers

Ss34ever

Looking to replace my snowblower this fall, what are the best ones made right now? Looking for one big enough to tackle the big storms and still be nimble.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have about a 6 year old Toro 1028 that has handled all the storms we've had the past few years without fail. I like that it has none of those stupid shear pins that always break at the worst time. I did a fair amount of research before I bought mine and Toro overall seemed to have a pretty good reputation. I also knew several people that had them and liked them. I would have probably went with an Ariens next after Toro.

I did look into those three stage cub cadets but at the time they had a lot of really bad reviews, maybe that has changed since then but who knows.

RANGER 1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at an Ariens. I’m not sure how big of a driveway you have but a 30 inch cut might do the trick. If it is a bit bigger driveway, not sure what your looking to spend but the commercial grade 32” is my favorite.

Ss34ever

I have about a 6 year old Toro 1028 that has handled all the storms we've had the past few years without fail. I like that it has none of those stupid shear pins that always break at the worst time. I did a fair amount of research before I bought mine and Toro overall seemed to have a pretty good reputation. I also knew several people that had them and liked them. I would have probably went with an Ariens next after Toro.

I did look into those three stage cub cadets but at the time they had a lot of really bad reviews, maybe that has changed since then but who knows.
I'm looking at the 826, does your have the plastic joystick for the chute? How has that held up, if you have that?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at the 826, does your have the plastic joystick for the chute? How has that held up, if you have that?
Yep mine has that joystick and haven't had or heard of any issues with others. They have had that design for a long time so they must not have to many issues. I do see that they went back to a metal chute, my entire chute assembly is composite. I haven't had any issues with that either but they must have for them to switch back.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I have a commercial simplicity 28 inch. It is a stud throws snow 40 feet. Might be a little pricey at $2800 but will last my lifetime all metal parts no plastic.

Ss34ever

Yep mine has that joystick and haven't had or heard of any issues with others. They have had that design for a long time so they must not have to many issues. I do see that they went back to a metal chute, my entire chute assembly is composite. I haven't had any issues with that either but they must have for them to switch back.
Thanks

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toro 1028 here as well,put chains on wheels,hand warmers,cruise control power steering,so far so good after 4 years.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had an Ariens 24" Deluxe with the biggest motor they put on that model. I have had it for 8-10
years with issues.

Used to have a blower that I bought from a coworker with a 36" cut, I decide that the older I got it was too big. I have more time then muscle these days.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Two years ago we went with an Ariens. I agree with the above comments on them. Not like my old Toro which I got tired of muscling it around. The Ariens is fun to use. We got the high output model.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ariens Platinum 30 SHO....works awesome. They are expensive - somewhere in the $2200 range now. I believe they also have an EFI version of that model too, which costs a bit more.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toro Vortex 2890 is what I have. My driveway is about 70 yards long and I use this walk behind all the time. I bought this 5 years ago for 1199.00 and have not used my rider since. I don't use it, because I need the exercise:p

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a cub cadet 2 stage with hydraulic steering that works really good. And nothing is plastic which is a big deal to me. Had it about 3 years I think it only cost about $800-900

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Husqvarna 28” with plenty of power and no issues in the 4-5 years I’ve had it.

At the same time it’s most likely the last one I’ll buy. In my 70’s and there are people in my town who will clean the driveway for $20. Hardly pays to do my own.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any electric models for those of us that care about global warming?
Hint buy the least economical one known to man, accelerate the end of the planet to breakneck speed…presto no more snow

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Toro 826 also. 3-4 years old. I actually like that joystick, can get the snow where I want pretty quickly without cranking a handle. Love the hand warmers. I did have a sheer pin sheer last winter however, so I would get a couple extras and have them on hand. I bought mine at Ace in Bismarck. It is a little light in weight compared to an old John Deere I used to use so sometimes I have to strong arm it a little to keep it down when the snow is hard.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88