River around and south of Bismarck?

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hows the river looking? Open water yet? Any fishing going on?

Trying to plan a business trip along with a little fishing at the same time.

THX and any input!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only boat access I know of it at the tailrace. Still been pretty cold and lots of ice around the Bismarck area. South of Bismarck, it's still 100% froze up that I know of. We are expecting nice weather later this week. Hopefully that sticks around and opens it up more.

Forgot to mention the main channel around Bismarck is open, I just haven't heard of any boat ramps being open around town yet.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Main channel was open and a lot of ice cleared out of the lighter current areas with all that wind last week. I seen geese keeping a few pockets open by the broken oar but it was frozen over again this week.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
She was open to about 12th Street save for the last little bits of shore ice but has since refroze again. Give her a couple days of warm weather and she will bust up again.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a few shots that show the breakup line starting about two weeks about go a few miles just up stream of double ditch till just before this latest cold snap somewhere just north of little Hart. How far north the new ice has formed I have no idea but it will be very weak and won't last long.

Screenshot_20170313-163217.jpg

Screenshot_20170313-162909.jpg

Screenshot_20170313-162348.jpg

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
last week of march should be good to go. bring it on, tired of this.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The river through Bismarck was just getting ready to accept boats until it froze over again last week. Grrrr....

You might find boating/fishing as far south as Steckel, but the Tailrace is your only sure bet right now.

dewey89

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flew all over south of Bismarck last Thursday. She's locked up tight from Mary hill south yet. One little open spot south of the rifle range boat ramp but that was pretty much it. Hopefully with the temps coming up this week it'll open back up.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah she will bust up fast on any of the new ice areas and I'm sure by next weekend she will be good to go probably all the way to the range. Might be possible this weekend in town depending on how warm we actually get and when the city clears the ramps.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
RIver through town blew out today and could be ready as early as tomorrow if they clear the ramps. Last little bits were breaking away from both fox and Captain Meriwether's at sunset.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whoop! Whoop! This weekend for sure. If they push out the ramps.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it clears up a little further south.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah there were a couple crazy bastards ice fishing at the desert today!;:;badidea if it moves like it did last warm spell it should get at least to the range by this weekend with the warm weather after tomorrow.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't heard nothing about pushing ramps, I'll have to put a bug in my supervisors ear maybe get Fox Island and Grant Marsh opened up

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
RIver through town blew out today and could be ready as early as tomorrow if they clear the ramps. Last little bits were breaking away from both fox and Captain Meriwether's at sunset.

I hope your right. Im hoping to pop the cherry on thursday!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drove over expressway on the way to the Y this morning. River is open. Maybe I don't have to run back to the tailrace this weekend. It's nice being 5 minutes from the river. Now, a dock would be nice. Not sure what the Lewis and Clark ramp looks like though.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good, you Bismarck people need to just fish your part of the river, and stay away from the tailrace. ::boxing:: :;:stirthepot..............;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

::thinking:: I think it would be closer for Ahab to go there also!! :;:duel

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many of my formative years were spent at the downstream campsite. The tailrace is mine!

Fox island is pushed open and there were two boats launched already.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good, you Bismarck people need to just fish your part of the river, and stay away from the tailrace. ::boxing:: :;:stirthepot..............;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

::thinking:: I think it would be closer for Ahab to go there also!! :;:duel

Wrong. Tailrace is closer. Been making treks out there for over 25 years with dear old dad.:)

- - - Updated - - -

If it makes you feel any better I will probably hit up the Rainy River next.:;:rockit

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, if that's the case, on your next trip there, pick me up on your way through Minot:;:howdy.................. Just giving you guys shit, as I was pent up in a pesticide recertification class for 8 hours today so just a little giddy. Oh, and I've have fished it for around 35 years.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many of my formative years were spent at the downstream campsite. The tailrace is mine!

Fox island is pushed open and there were two boats launched already.
25 degrees most of the day and undoubtedly still chunks of ice and trees floating down, those must be some hardcore SOB's. Wonder if they are the same guys that drive out on lakes a week after they freeze!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 204
  • This month: 171
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58