Sak, it's been a good run!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Despite the heavy snowpack coming out of winter, the early expectations were for Sak to hit around 1837-1839 in elevation.

Thanks to a few large and timely rains that boosted the runoff, this is where she stands today:

1689695442039.png

Given the Missouri River at Williston is the lion's share of water entering Sak, it would appear the run is coming to an end.

1689695510068.png

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah we have gotten really lucky the last two years with runoff/rain events. Things were starting to look a bit dire last spring and we were on a downward trend, but we seemed to have turned a corner and had two years of rising water now. Hopefully we can get another year or two of stable or rising water. Its amazing what consistent high water does for smelt/walleye populations.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
talked to a guy who was doing plover surveys down here in yates and he stated that oahe has about peaked and will be releasing soon

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Indeed, thanks Allen. GFS model doesn't show much for precip in the watershed through end of July so sure looks like she'll peak right at 1842. Awesome considering projections even just a month ago.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been so nice having water down on Oahe this year, and fishing has actually been consistent.
Agreed. This spring and summer on Oahe has been the best I can remember for a long time. Will be headed to Sakakawea next week, I hope the fishing gets better. Maybe with the heat returning and lake leveling off it will pick up mid lake?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed. This spring and summer on Oahe has been the best I can remember for a long time. Will be headed to Sakakawea next week, I hope the fishing gets better. Maybe with the heat returning and lake leveling off it will pick up mid lake?
Cranks and jigging raps should catch them regardless of what the live bait bite is doing. Not sure if the shallow bite is over or just begun

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cranks and jigging raps should catch them regardless of what the live bait bite is doing. Not sure if the shallow bite is over or just begun
From what I can tell the fish are deep, so yeah, that should work in theory. LOL. We always seem to find some fish, but finding the bigger fish (DWC week) for the tournament has been elusive...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have officially been hovering over 1842' for a month now. This year couldn't have went any better as far as water goes and the fishing hasn't been bad either! At this point the forecasts show us going into next March almost 8' higher than this spring. Lets hope for another good runoff year next year and we will be sitting pretty again for years to come!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have officially been hovering over 1842' for a month now. This year couldn't have went any better as far as water goes and the fishing hasn't been bad either! At this point the forecasts show us going into next March almost 8' higher than this spring. Lets hope for another good runoff year next year and we will be sitting pretty again for years to come!

We are expecting an El Nino to be in place through the winter.

That's usually a bad thing for snowpack and runoff up in this part of the world.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are expecting an El Nino to be in place through the winter.

That's usually a bad thing for snowpack and runoff up in this part of the world.
I guess it would be good for the wildlife to get a break. I'm just hoping for an average winter, I'm sure plenty of people would be fine with no snow or cold weather haha

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of cold, less snow. I want to be able to get out ice fishing a little more this year. I'm also playing around with the idea of buying a wheel house so I would like to be able to go where I want if I do buy one.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just enough cold and snow to move the birds and some banger spring snow with quick melts and good spring rains. That’s all I want for the ducks

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
what happen to el nino coming in strong in the fall early winter and dying out mid winter spring. After the rain we had -- anything can happen.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, it would probably be best to not set the new Minimum snowpack.

Like you said, anything can happen but El Nino is supposed to be with us until sometime between April and June. Sure doesn't mean things won't improve, but the current trend is not good.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully the corp doesn't drastically dump water out of Sak. If i read the numbers correctly, it is approximately 8.4' higher now than at the same time last year, which certainly is a plus.

Average_NDA_Member

Hmmm I bet theyr gonna dump it all out buncha libs dont know how to manage water try tell tell us its to save a bird or two when really they just dont want us fishin tell ya what I ain’t got no fancy degree but it dont take much brains to know close the spillway = more water and walleyes for me too easy

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all depends on the water needs downstream. Snowpack means little if they just run it all through. I hate to say it but what really needs to happen is severe rainfall and flooding downstream from Missouri to Louisiana.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The barge business needs to go the way of the dodo bird imho. How it pencils out and how they have so much pull is beyond me. The pencil out being the biggest question mark

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84