Scheels Rods/Reels

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
What's everyone's opinions on these? I own 3 rod/reel combo's, and i really like them. Not top of the line, but for $100 or so, they seem quite good. Plus, with the free replacement if broken.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two 6'-6" extra fast walleye series rods and I too like them. They have chanced the butt/real seat style this year, I have one of each style and both are a good price for the quality of road. I've heard Scheels is taking a harder look at the reason the rods are coming back in for replacement. Sounds like if you step on one or slam it in the car door it may not get replaced for free.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 4 lead core combos and 2 bouncer combos like them a lot. The warranty is great. I had 1 lead core rod leaning over the back raised the kicker motor and it broke the tip on it. Took it in they asked what happened told the truth and they said I could get a new one. They went to get one they were out. Said would you take the next higher model for $25 I said OK. He said I could pick it up at customer service. Went to pick it up and the lady said there would be no charge. Pays to be honest and not argue.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 ONE rods and a guide series and a walleye series. All great rods for the money I think. The ONE rods with a light reel are a pleasure to fish with.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
One guide series, one walleye series, two trolling combos. I have no qualms about buying more scheels brand rods. I did win a 7' fenwick last night. New bottom bouncer rod I guess. Have a fenwick elite tech on its way. I'll probably pick up a ONE next year.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One guide series, one walleye series, two trolling combos. I have no qualms about buying more scheels brand rods. I did win a 7' fenwick last night. New bottom bouncer rod I guess. Have a fenwick elite tech on its way. I'll probably pick up a ONE next year.

I have 2 Elite Techs also...tough to tell the difference between the Scheel's walleye series and the Elite Techs. The walleye series may be a little lighter....who knows could be the same blank.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured I'd bring this topic back around after I had a little accident on Saturday. While trying to unload at a busy ramp, all by myself, I quickly buttoned up the truck and ran to the dock where my boat was tied up to. As I'm quickly untying and throwing it in reverse, I stepped on my scheels rod and broke the top foot of it off. Thankfully I had two other rods with but this was my favorite jiggin stick. I got done fishing for the day and headed to scheels. I showed it to the guy, he laughed, grabbed one off the rack and sent me to the front to exchange it. I did notice that the new rod I got has a *limited lifetime warranty to manufacturer defects* sticker on it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great rods for the money, hard to beat. From the old Haggen style I still have to the new ones. I really like the walleye series, had a one series it just wasn't for me. Just not enough backbone I guess.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my rods are Scheels rods. Good rods for the price point. I have a Limited Guide Series I use for jigging that is pretty sweet.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i run mostly scheels rods too... bout 4 tournament, 2 guide, and 2 limited guides for my jig and rigs rods... i bought most of them while living in billings, and all on sale for anywhere from 25 to $75 off retail in the winter... can't remember which stores would replace broken ones, but either minot, bismarck, rapid, or billings wouldn't bout 10 years ago...

have a buddy who used to own a hardware store 20+ years ago that used to buy rods from scheels wholesale from a salesman who came around... he said at that time most of the rods had g loomis reject tags hanging from a guide...

they've been good enough for me and the rednecks i fish with...

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been really happy with the older guide series rods and the ONE rods. I recently got a walleye series rod and I'm happy with it so far.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
for the money you can't beat em. and the warranty is second to none.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured out how they're coming out on top with their rod warranty. Pulled a rod out of the locker last night and the tip was busted off. I just replaced this rod in May. That was a no questions asked return. This time around, they're discontinuing the guide series model so I had to either take store credit or have the price forwarded to an upgrade. Same thing happened when I had to return my walleye series rod this spring. Ended up having to pay a little more to get the next model.

Tough thing to complain about considering I just had a $30 upgrade and they took a broken rod off my hands. But if they keep skirting the warranty by discontinuing models in short time, I'm going to start stocking the rod locker with other brands.

That's broken rod #4 this year. #4 of my lifetime. 2015 has been a tough year for equipment.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They shouldnt be breaking as much as they do. it seems people buy them due to the fact they will replace them at the store vs the actual quality of the rod.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
They shouldnt be breaking as much as they do. it seems people buy them due to the fact they will replace them at the store vs the actual quality of the rod.

Agreed. But when you're not rolling in money, they do the trick.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. The fancy equipment does help but definetely not a neccessity.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going against the grain on this as, I do not like Scheels Rods. I have been burned by their warranty. When mine break, I will not be buying any more of them. $20 gets you a new G Loomis if you break it, DEAL!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm completely in your side, sub. New rods going forward will be of the better quality variety. There's a special pain that occurred when you drop $250 on a rod.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going against the grain on this as, I do not like Scheels Rods. I have been burned by their warranty. When mine break, I will not be buying any more of them. $20 gets you a new G Loomis if you break it, DEAL!

*$100 for loomis replacement

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93