Serious question for my fellow fisherman!?!?

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
My almost 3yr old son absolutely loves fishing.. He come with almost every time I go out, and no is to the point where he reels in his own fish up to the bottom bouncer while the rod is locked in the rod holder. And my question to you is, when do you let your kids catch their limit of fish to? I know I'm probably gonna get called greedy by some, but that is not the case.. He is putting in the time just like every one else. And just curious as to what others have done or do in this situation! Here's today's catch, Jase with 4 me with 1 image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

image.jpg

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I will generally be a little hardcore in the beginning of the season. Gotta fill that freezer. But, as a general rule i love watching my kiddos reel 'em in. I'll even give them my pole if it feels small to average. If it feels like a big ole hog tho ... I get a tad greedy :cool:

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
if i under stand you right you are asking when do you keep 10 fish instead of just your five. when i take my nephew out (he is 5) if he catch a fish on his own it goes towards his limit. some times we take home 5 fish other times we might end up with 7 or maybe even 10.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he is reeling them in, I don't see a problem with him keeping a limit.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he's working to catch fish just like you, I don't see the problem with him keeping his limit.
years ago, when my kid was four, we were casting twister tells on Sak , and I felt a solid thump on the jig. He was right by me so I gave him the rod. After several screaming drag runs and A wore out kid, he reeled in an 18 pound northern.
kid has loved fishing ever since
never a bad idea to let them be the hero of the day.

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a tiller motor so I usually fish just out the left side with a planer out the side and another trolling rod out the side, and I my boys one rod out the right side locked in the rod holder so we don't lose a rod accidentally. We have been out around A dozen times already this year and he has now become a master of the reel. He doesn't always see the bite if he is playing with his cars or something between bites, so I tell him he has a fish on and to reel and he gives'er heck to the bottom bouncer. I usually have to lift the rod up to net it but other than that he does the rest!!! I just wanted to see what others thoughts were!! I'm not all about limits, I'm about having fun with my boys and teaching them like my dad taught me and limits are a bonus! Thanks guys!!! And good luck!!

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he is reeling them in by himself by all means that should go towards his limit. If you ask any kid that has been fishing how many fish they caught they certainly aren't going to lie about it. My girls will always claim the biggest fish in the livewell.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let my boys keep there fish when they get them ages 4 and 6. They hold the rods set the hook and reel them in I just net them. Most of the time when they are with I don't even hold a rod I just drive the boat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
No problem here if he reels them in himself. Nothing better than a happy kid and fresh fish for supper.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, kiddo can keep anything he/she reels in. As far as bringing home 5, 10, or whatever that number is, bring home what you know will get used, and nothing that'll sit so long it gets freezer burned.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got to the point where I enjoy watching the boy fish more than doing it myself. Wish I'd gotten in this way much sooner. I don't know why y'all can't keep all the fish you want within the law.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple years back the fishing was so good me and a buddy would limit out in about 45 minutes, go in eat some breakfast, then go back out with the kids and finish out their limits.
5 in the boat, means 25 in the livewell. We would not personally fish after we picked up the kids, it was more fun watching and helping them anyway, and we had already filled our daily limit.

Josh S.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say let him catch his limit my 3 year old daughter catches hers and a lot of the time I let her catch mine its a great way to get them hooked and to see that smile on there face is priceless. :;:rockit

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
My girls are 4 and 6 yrs old, I let them keep what they catch. the way I see it is your teaching them about supper
Take a small piece of twine" 3 foot" and tie it to the pole holder and to the fishing pole, that way he can fight the fish, without you losing that fancy little shaksphere pole;:;banghead

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm changing the subject, but that fair-skinned kid needs lots of sunscreen or sunscreen clothes, and a hat with a brim, not a feed & seed cap. A grade school classmate of mine died from skin cancer in his early 50's.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm changing the subject, but that fair-skinned kid needs lots of sunscreen or sunscreen clothes, and a hat with a brim, not a feed & seed cap. A grade school classmate of mine died from skin cancer in his early 50's.

Amen... skin cancer is a plague due to our "meh" attitude back in the day. Wish I would have taken better care prior to 30 years old.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I decided to take my shirt off last week in the boat, just for an hour or so. Figured I would look thinner if I had some color. Well my beer belly got all burnt up, and no is pealing.

mrs johnr finds me even more disgusting now...haha

I like the twine idea, I should use that on my own poles too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76