Shots and pills

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you and your family members get shots to prevent something every year and question if you are doing the right thing ? Same question with pills.

I'm only 49% conspiracy theorist and not bad mouthing Doctors or anyone else in the medical or Pharmaceutical industry but I question how much even our Drs know about some of the drugs and shots they are giving us. Most of what they know is what they are taught and told just like us.

It's gonna be a long story but hoping DM will be able to chime in and tell me there is a way to "crack" this case.

In the last couple of months I started getting loud repeating clicks in my neckevery time I turn my head, One click to the right and 3 clicks to the left every time. Being curious at first I kept turning my head and the clicks got louder and brought on a dull headache. x rays show some degeneration and was recommended PT and that made it worse so I had a cortisone shot and 3 weeks later my normally controlled blood sugar levels are still through the roof and jumping between 250 and 400+ on an hourly basis.

I googled this and started putting 2 and 2 together and remembered how I first found out I had diabetes about 5 years ago when I was given a steroid injection in a finger that I had injured in a fist fight with a cam lock fitting. Finger wasn't healing and Dr supposedly supposedly saw a blood clot in my xrays and gave me a cortisone or steroid shot in that finger and sent me to a bigger medical facility. 8 hours later the doc at that facility asked me if I knew I was a full blown diabetic because My BS was close to 400.
Now I remember my Dad getting a cortisone shot in his 50s or 60s and ended up getting diabetes around that time but I can't remember the time frame for him. Coincidence ? maybe, Genetic traits causing it ? possible I believe. All I know is right now I am definitely on a 3 week long diabetic reaction from a cortisone shot and not liking it one bit, I tried to resist the shot but was persuaded to try it , I would have held my grounds had I known about the side affects.

I had refused all immunizations except for tetanus until we starting having grandkids and then it was recommended I get a flu shot for their sake so I did. and I hadn't taken a many pills short term pill prescriptions and no long term until the finger incident and the next day I was taking 7 and have since weaned myself off most or cut back on them one at a time. I wasn't sure why I was prescribed some of those to start with but I didn't really question it at the time. my wellness test numbers are all within the recommended limits except for cholesterol .

Anyone else had reaction to shots or meds or undesirable side affects ?

Ace inhibitors gave me a persistent dry cough so I finally got them switched and have since quite the replacement and I think I feel better. I am lucky that every opioid I've taken has made me feel like shit and I imagine seeing things out of the corner of my eye . Except for morphine pumps. I probably didn't know if I was foot or horseback but morphine is a hell of a drug for pain.

Now I see what my grandkids are getting their required shots and realize just how far we have came in two generations.
Link to NDDH school requirements for school kids.

https://www.ndhealth.gov/Immunize/Documents/Schools/SchoolRequirements18-19.pdf

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know they say it ain't possible or true.. by i have a horrible reaction to the flu shot. i've only gotten a bad flu once in my adult life. and you remember the real flu when you get it. anyways... i've had the flu shot twice in the last 10 years. both times were followed by very severe flu like symptoms within about 48 hours that lasted a 24-36 hours. one time made a pheasant hunting trip miserable in october. the other made for a miserable weekend duck hunting in late october. i know it wasn't the actual flu. coincidence? not sure. but, i will never get it again.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of the shots our 4 legged friends HAVE to HAVE are suspect also. Did some research. They do not necessarily need the multitude of shots they say you have to give them.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm on several medications daily, 5 I think and don't want to run upstairs to count them in my pill dispenser. Have no side affects from any of them. Get a flu shot every year and no side affects. They do cause reactions in some, but lucky none for me. Take a couple for heart issues and a couple due to old age and not wanting to get up to pee every few hours at night.

For sure, if you know a medication has caused problems in the past, make sure your physician knows about it. I do have an advantage in that I'm married to a very good nurse and she keeps track of what I'm taking and makes sure the Dr. knows what other drugs I'm on if he/she would prescribe another drug. Not all drugs work well together. Medication is not necessarily bad but pay attention to what your body is telling you. Meds should make you feel better, not worse.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Won't take a flu shot ever! Never know what's in there. They don't want us old timers to live and draw S.S. as they want the younger ones to pay the taxes. Trouble is the young generation doesn't want to work so they pay no tax just draw welfare. Not all i know but there is a bunch that don't seem to work and their parents won't make them. Only going to get worse.
End of my rant on this.
Allergic to many pain medications. Sucks when one really needs them.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
flu shot - imo helps in toning down colds during feb-mar -- no issues

Ace inhibitors - I have no issues; however i have seen them put somebody very close to death.

Fentanyl and Propofol -- they help save your life -- but then you go through hell. I cant imagine why anybody would want to take them illegally.

Statins --- just plain suck -- they make you feel old early in life.

Beer -- the best drug made, good for you in moderation.

campchef

Honored Member
Oh My, where do I start.
First off our medical system is broken. Personnel who care are inundated with CYA paperwork to stem the Tort lawyers who line their pockets with ill gotten gains. I have had enough experience with family members over the past several years to "nuke" the whole damn system and start over.
I'm old, I'm pissed and have nothing to lose.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had half a dozen cortisone shots with zero issues. I have similar neck issues as you. My personal belief is that clicking is from swelling within the vertibrae and when you turn your head it is moving it around making that noise. Have you been to a chiropractor for your neck? Also have you ever had an MRI on your neck?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had half a dozen cortisone shots with zero issues. I have similar neck issues as you. My personal belief is that clicking is from swelling within the vertibrae and when you turn your head it is moving it around making that noise. Have you been to a chiropractor for your neck? Also have you ever had an MRI on your neck?

No MRI yet and thinking about chiropractor or any other option. We have good insurance but the whole industry dictates the chain of commands so there are no shortcuts . From what I can tell I can't request MRIs or arthritis test even though drs tell me I have it, Went threw this before. How long does cortisone help you for pain ? From what I've read that varies a lot and for some people it works like magic. Mine didn't . I'll never take another one.

- - - Updated - - -

The first two years I had flu shots I got that shot inflicted flu. first year was worse than the second and from then on I don't recall any side effects. . Also caught the flu during those two years. Just didn't knock me down as bad as usual. Since then I have never had the flu or a cold so in my opinion they are working for me.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steroids mess with blood sugars and adjustments should have been made to your diabetes management proactively. All meds have the potential for side effects. Narcs wake me up and most others get drowsy. My wife can hardly take tylenol. Some immunizations can make you feel poorly for a couple days but it is exceedingly rare and can usually be attributed to what bugs happen to be floating around that region at that time (coincidence). No one can argue meds have saved more than they have killed.

As for your neck just get the MRI or just deal with the clicking. I have the same, am in healthcare, and will wait until I have nerve palsy or pain before MRI and neurosurgery consult. Cortisone works for many but not all and its effectiveness is directly correlated to the amount of swelling that is causing the issue and how perfectly the shot is placed.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a Dr but selling drug plans for years, I've had had many conversations with seniors about their drugs. Dr's get a basic training on meds in school. All information there after comes from the drug reps and the research that dr decides to do. Every body also reacts different. Someone mentioned stations. They are one of the most prescribed meds. Some people have no problem others get to the point they can't get out of bed. I've never heard of a blood sugar reaction with cortisone but it would make a lot of sense. I'd do some research and bring that up to your Dr Davey. As far as the neck I would definatly see a chiropractor. Happens to my wife every once in a while and almost makes me sick hearing it. There may be more to it or it could be a easy fix.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The clicking I can handle but when active and move it I get headaches . They come and go in as little as 15 minutes apart.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not every statin will hit you the same way either. Ask your Dr to try a different one. Crestor went generic not long ago and is by far the best one on the market.

if you get a cough on an ACE, ask your Dr for ARB. Cleaner drug to be on anyway and they work better with no cough.

if you are on Coumadin, ask your dr about one of the newer drugs where you don’t need to be checked every month. They are serious game changers.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My motto when it comes to medicine is "If the government says it's good for you it's not". No flu shots , vaccines or statins for me.

Google the percentage of your brain matter that made up of cholesterol, and then tell me why we have so much Alzheimer's disease and so many nut jobs running around.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steroids can decrease the effectiveness of insulin, secondarily causing your liver to "dump" glucose into your blood.

I understand you had a bad experience with physical therapy and likely don't want to try that again, however it sounds like what you have going on are cervicogenic headaches, something that a good therapist should be able to help you with. Will the fix be quick and painless, nope, but they should be able to teach you ways to manage your symptoms and help you improve overall.

A chiropractor may also be a helpful individual in your care team.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had both shoulders injected about five years ago. Those actually took a few months to feel better. But they kept getting better. The left one finally needs another dose. My right elbow and a couple tendon attachment points was done around same time as my shoulders and they got better within a day or so and have been great since. I had a C4/C5 injection last may or so. I have chronic headaches from neck degeneration. It was to the point I had pain down both arms to my hands constantly. That shot took care of the arms and did give me a little relief in the headache dept. I am going to try and convince them to do C1-C3 too. I also have same issue with lower back and if I keep my core strength up it helps a lot. They wouldnt inject there yet. Not until pain down my legs is really bad. I have been going to twin cities spine in Minneapolis.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll also add chiropractic care handled my headaches great for 20 years but now there is too much degradation and I don’t get the relief anymore

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our family has never gotten flu shots and never get the flu. I think these things are affecting people's immune systems. People need to eat more dirt and not worry so damn much about being clean. Toughen the f up!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had the Pneumococcal Pneumonia shot 2 years ago. No more bad colds every spring and fall.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84