Slot limits and releasing big fish

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
This site has been kind of quiet for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to see what your opinions on some topics that don't get discussed much.

What's your opinions on slot limits and releasing large walleye? There are so many fish getting caught on the Missouri River, I'm afraid that by keeping them all we will not have any fish left in the future. I suggest releasing anything over 18 inches.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck with this thread. I started a topic similar to this talking about releasing 20" or larger fish. Seemed like the forum was split and I received negative rep points for stating my opinion. I must have hit a nerve with someone.

So instead I will just sit here and watch. :;:deadhorse

- - - Updated - - -

really lunk?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=3]News | North Dakota Game and Fish[/h]NDGF PRESS RELEASE … New legislative proposal ND1563.21 Slot limits and fish releasing. NDGF is proposing a tired catch/keep/release system based on size of vessel used to obtain fish. With sub categories for manufacture of fishing vessel. Due to increased internet activity on this subject the NDGF is considering a tiered system. Example of this type of system would be 20+ foot vessel owners would be allowed to catch and keep twice the daily limit with top 3 manufacturers being able to keep a bonus 3 fish of any size. Vessel owners in the 18ft-20ft category are allow a normal daily possession limit of any size with an added 2 fish per top 3 manufacturers. Vessel owners in the 16.5ft up to but not exceeding 18ft are allowed a daily possession limit with a slot limit of 19in-24in on walleye, top three manufacturers are exempt from slot limit. Vessel owners less than 16.5ft are restricted 3 fish max with a slot limit of 16in-26inches with no bonus for manufacturer type.
i. Proposed Amendment and Ranger owner of any sized vessel will be allowed to keep any and all fish of any size caught at any time during any fishing hours
ii. Proposed Amendment any vessel of built of more than 50% fiberglass material will be allowed 2 additional fish within any of the above categories

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
News | North Dakota Game and Fish

NDGF PRESS RELEASE … New legislative proposal ND1563.21 Slot limits and fish releasing. NDGF is proposing a tired catch/keep/release system based on size of vessel used to obtain fish. With sub categories for manufacture of fishing vessel. Due to increased internet activity on this subject the NDGF is considering a tiered system. Example of this type of system would be 20+ foot vessel owners would be allowed to catch and keep twice the daily limit with top 3 manufacturers being able to keep a bonus 3 fish of any size. Vessel owners in the 18ft-20ft category are allow a normal daily possession limit of any size with an added 2 fish per top 3 manufacturers. Vessel owners in the 16.5ft up to but not exceeding 18ft are allowed a daily possession limit with a slot limit of 19in-24in on walleye, top three manufacturers are exempt from slot limit. Vessel owners less than 16.5ft are restricted 3 fish max with a slot limit of 16in-26inches with no bonus for manufacturer type.
i. Proposed Amendment and Ranger owner of any sized vessel will be allowed to keep any and all fish of any size caught at any time during any fishing hours
ii. Proposed Amendment any vessel of built of more than 50% fiberglass material will be allowed 2 additional fish within any of the above categories

Sparkle bonus?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I release most anything over 20". Sorry, I like those 18"-20" fillets the best.

The fact that a lot of fisherman now practice C&R on their own, and especially with big fish, has already made a huge difference from the good ole days.

I am not in favor of slot limits. The fishing in our state is incredible. I have no complaints.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
This site has been kind of quiet for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to see what your opinions on some topics that don't get discussed much.

What's your opinions on slot limits and releasing large walleye? There are so many fish getting caught on the Missouri River, I'm afraid that by keeping them all we will not have any fish left in the future. I suggest releasing anything over 18 inches.

We are all fishing this time of year!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Same thing every year at this time of year.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they should measure a guys wiener before they let him buy a sparkle boat. Must be under 2 inches to qualify...haha

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I think they should measure a guys wiener before they let him buy a sparkle boat. Must be under 2 inches to qualify...haha

I gotta look through a pair of bino's backwards to see all of me ... I guess I don't get a sparkly boat.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as Walleye filets, the thicker the better.
images.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://nodakangler.com/forums/showt...-Closing-spring-seasons&highlight=Slot+limits
Gospel according to NDGF

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck with this thread. I started a topic similar to this talking about releasing 20" or larger fish. Seemed like the forum was split and I received negative rep points for stating my opinion. I must have hit a nerve with someone.

So instead I will just sit here and watch. :;:deadhorse

- - - Updated - - -

really lunk?

Lol really bogey #$%^&>

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm more of a grower than a show 'er so whip out the tape. ...as long as it's not Mrs. Johnr, because then I am thinking I would fail miserably. Well, according to the mystique.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
you asking opinion? One dollar of license goes to SD for Growing our missouri river hogs. lol but really i think slot would help to produce more "picture" fish on the mighty MO, but everywhere else NO, did i say NO yes NO where else!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the pure shit luck the kids and I have had so far this spring, we are keeping everything from here on out for the rest of the month.

18 lb eyes, sturgeon, pike, and even carp!

Well, at least 2 of the 4.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't keep anything under 14 inches,and usually anything over 22 goes back unless it's hooked deep.....but I'm certainly not going to tell anyone else what they should keep. Sometimes those people that get chastised at the cleaning station for keeping to many big fish that's one of only maybe two or three days they'll fish all year and as long as they aren't breaking any limit laws more power to em for having a successful day and getting to take some fish home for the table.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10