Slow Death Rigs

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
So, I started using these a couple of years ago, and I love 'em. I run them plain, with just a worm, cut short to go just past the end of the hook.

Heard of some running them with spinner blades, beads, etc ...

What's everyone's preference with these?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a certain way to tie these. I thought I remember someone saying there's a special way to the a snell on them. Maybe it was a conversation I had.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I tie with trilene knot, and don't have issues, but I think i need better swivels. The line really needs to be able to turn on these.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
SPRO makes a great swivel IMHO.

You get what you pay for.... they are spendy

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I always question those that put spinners on. I don't know, but wouldn't it counter-act the spinning of the worm/hook?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So by two swivels, you mean one at the end of the line by the hook and one at the connecting point?

- - - Updated - - -

I tied a few up last year and ended up having more luck with the spinners. So, I'm beginning to think I had them tied wrong or something.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tie on the hook with the Palamar knot for two reasons.

I leave the tag end long about a 1/4" so after you thread the crawler on it helps hold the crawler on.

And the two loops of line on the hook eye with the Palamar knot hold the hook aligned with the leader.

A single bead or a smile blade are the ways I switch up the rig

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
So by two swivels, you mean one at the end of the line by the hook and one at the connecting point?

- - - Updated - - -

I tied a few up last year and ended up having more luck with the spinners. So, I'm beginning to think I had them tied wrong or something.

I just pre-rig em like lindy's. So I have my free weight on line, then swivel. Then i have my lure rig:
Swivel - 18" to 72" of mono line - hook

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Ahh I get what you're saying now. Do you vary your weight sizes?

Not often ... as a general rule i just try to go fast enough to get it to spin. 1.0'ish. Doesn't seem like a speed lure to me, so keeping it on bottom doesn't change much for me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i love the slow death i tie it with a snell knot and a swivel on the end i then hook to the bottom bouncer. I have went with just a loop but seems to spin better with the swivel. i have taken all different kinds of gulp and even minnows on them. Dont be afraid to bend the hook more one way or another to get a more aggressive spin. I have found .7 to 1 mph to be my best speed. It is really fun with a pontoon full of kids using the gulp as you catch multiple fish with out re baiting there are times all i am doing is netting and un hooking fish. This is all down here on oahe.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Never fished Oahe, but I need to one of these days. Heard its been good past few years.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like them and work well, but I wish they had a better barb, and barbs on the shaft to help hold the worm in place.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use them plain, maybe put a bead on. 3-5 foot leader. I do not use them with a spinner, too much going on; I tried it when they first came out and didn't notice any improvement over regular hook and spinner. I use a whole crawler or a half, start with a whole and see how the fish hit. If you're missing bites, go to half. I have seen incidences where hook color made a big difference; outside of with spinners, I never use plain colored hooks anymore, always red or green, usually red.

- - - Updated - - -

Never fished Oahe, but I need to one of these days. Heard its been good past few years.

It's dead right now. Should be good shortly. G and F has been netting, and it changes day to day. Some days good, some days nothing. Might have to do with smelt, who knows. I would guess in two weeks or so it will be good. Northerns have been the same; we had two twenties in 30 minutes, then I've had days with nothing. Maybe the nice weather right away? Just has been an odd year, outside of the wind knows how to blow like a real bhive.

Attachments

540BB54A-0A97-4819-A5B0-6181A97930E0.jpg BD768249-E668-44AF-BD18-4626206C0BC1.jpg

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Let me know when it picks up. Got a guy that wants me to head down there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41