Tailrace Advice.

walleyewanker

When shore fishing up there, is there a way to help your odds by knowing which side to fish according to what gates are open? For example, I fished the east side last trip and the farthest 3 east chutes were closed. I probably f'd up and should have been on the west side.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really never paid a lot of attention to which gates were open or closed, but I know what I’m looking for relating to the current. More water is better than less, and when they shut it down you might as well leave. Look for the current seams. You can feel it on your lure as you are reeling in, and can sort of see it when it’s light out. The walleyes tend to hang very close to shore after it gets dark, and will also hang in the pockets of slightly less current. That’s my experience anyway.

walleyewanker

I really never paid a lot of attention to which gates were open or closed, but I know what I’m looking for relating to the current. More water is better than less, and when they shut it down you might as well leave. Look for the current seams. You can feel it on your lure as you are reeling in, and can sort of see it when it’s light out. The walleyes tend to hang very close to shore after it gets dark, and will also hang in the pockets of slightly less current. That’s my experience anyway.
I agree with you 100%. I also do the same exact thing. Always fish a seam where I cast out and don't reel. Just let it swim and pump it a few times.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Asking, because I’m in the same boat. Not really, I’m shore fishing too. Last Friday there was plenty of current on the east rocks, but it was kinda ripping north. The three furthest here’s were closed, as WalleyeWanker (Lol nice name) said.

Further south, the current was flowing south, but no fish there. The three we caught were where the current was flowing north.

We wondered if maybe we should have been on the west side.

Honkerslayr

Whenever I’ve fished the rocks its been east side with a floater doing as you said. When water runs its been mostly close to shore(within 5-15’) for strikes. You just have to feel it out, have had luck with lindys but you flirt with alot of lost rigs with the rocks. Wingwalls are always fun, it depends on your willingness and the fish behavior at the time.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the furthest East chute is off/low output and the west is pumping it’ll make the East side harder to fish imo. Current will push you down into the rocks fast and not bump downstream like you want.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the east chutes are closed, I've noticed it's actually a back current on the east side up towards the dam until farther south when it starts going down stream.
Right, it certainly can be. It can also kind of boil closer to the east side and that’s when I think the heavy down current is. In my experience it’s hard to fish and can be frustrating and expensive.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Right, it certainly can be. It can also kind of boil closer to the east side and that’s when I think the heavy down current is. In my experience it’s hard to fish and can be frustrating and expensive.
I fished their a long time ago but in the night. So try lures that dont dig in the rocks it was bad snagy with current. The best i would think in that turbulence would be jigs try an pop them up above rocks an keep it moving up an down otherwise current brings u into rock snag quickly. Dont quite working that jig or u be snagged.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I used to fish there at night too…we would use big-ass floating rapalas to mimic a big smelt that came thru the turbines

Tinesdown

Established Member
When shore fishing up there, is there a way to help your odds by knowing which side to fish according to what gates are open? For example, I fished the east side last trip and the farthest 3 east chutes were closed. I probably f'd up and should have been on the west side.
So any one think its worth trying also are mosquitos bad? We first tried the east side off the parking lot but didnt want to crowd people.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME anywhere: At this time of year when the 'skeeters are bad; the fishing is good.

My first experience with ND mosquitos was in '99 or '00 below the Darling Dam: I was warned and brushed it off due to my "experience" night fishing in the Deep South. On that evening a wally could be caught on nearly every cast with the shallow ShadRap--holy shit...

I had to nearly run back to the truck with "Pard" already ensconced and laughing his ass off at my "experience". I didn't respect the North and quickly employed "OFF" candles in addition to spray like when floating cypress in the Okefenokee Swamp.

FUN TIP IMHO: NEVER allow bug repellent to touch the inside of the hands. It causes problems with scent, paint schemes and melted plastic. Use the back of your hands to apply to the face, hair and ears:

Last edited:

Tinesdown

Established Member
Its the opposite where i fish river level dropped 6 feet in 3 weeks an spray or bug suit wont help u 95 degree blaring sun dont matter skeets will eat u alive.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Asking, because I’m in the same boat. Not really, I’m shore fishing too. Last Friday there was plenty of current on the east rocks, but it was kinda ripping north. The three furthest here’s were closed, as WalleyeWanker (Lol nice name) said.

Further south, the current was flowing south, but no fish there. The three we caught were where the current was flowing north.

We wondered if maybe we should have been on the west side.
Nice to see your still around!!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever met this jaykay guy? I'm picturing a Sagittarius with a fishing pole personally. Long live the Rodfather!
All I can say is: He once caught a SMB at night from the "bank" in November. He may also enjoy cheese.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_6843.jpeg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 232
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 73