top soil erosion?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried posting a video from National Weather Service - Bismarck Facebook page that showed dust blowing like crazy but couldn't figure out how to imbed it.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in the country in central ND and the dust storms have been terrible. There were times this morning i couldnt see the highway which is about 75 yards from the house. Lots of fields were just rolled prior to the beans going in and that dirt is blowing like flour. I went out to mow the lawn today and there was so much dust that i stopped mowing. All the crp and tree rows coming out was a big mistake. Many farmers around here are actually saying that crp should have never gone out.

I am one of them. There are lands that should be in grass.

But too many sportsmen sat back or worse yet supported the wildlife groups who pushed this program into something that lost it's attractiveness to farmers and ranchers.

Commodity price upward swings drove decisions to break it up. Maybe markets come back.........I'm betting there were enough acres put back into production to influence a few of the "specialty" crops we raise they may not rebound so fast.

- - - Updated - - -

You done pouting yet so you can come out and play again? :)

Ah Davy, not pouting, just busy notilling a crop in ground that is not blowing and waiting for a computer to get debugged.

One quarter of flowers left to plant on land that was PPd last year becasue the tree rows held enough snow that it was too wet to plant. Two years in a row that we could not get a crop on that land because it was too wet. Good moisture this year, but it was a bit of as mess with all the sprayer ruts left even on the top of the hills from all the moisture.

Ended up working about a 1/3 of the quarter just to get the ruts smoothed out.

All the land around it that did not have tree rows was seeded last spring. None of that is blowing this spring.

Indeed there was dirt blowing on a couple of fields up here that someone burned off for some reason this spring. Otherwise hunderds of thousands of acres that are just fine that are being no tilled.

Wondering for the easy chair quarter backs here, how would you have dealt with three years of EXTREME excess moisture to ensure you got a crop in the ground this spring?

Davy? ND Sportsman? want to weigh in?

I guess I didn;t know we would not get any snow so we did till some low areas last fall but left all our other stubble standing untilled. That gamble paid off this year, it did not the year before, the guys that worked all their ground two falls ago had a far better crop last year.

Anyways, have to go open up the fabric around all the trees on 5 3/4 mile tree rows we planted a few years ago this summer..........anyone want to help?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am one of them. There are lands that should be in grass.

But too many sportsmen sat back or worse yet supported the wildlife groups who pushed this program into something that lost it's attractiveness to farmers and ranchers.

Commodity price upward swings drove decisions to break it up. Maybe markets come back.........I'm betting there were enough acres put back into production to influence a few of the "specialty" crops we raise they may not rebound so fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah Davy, not pouting, just busy notilling a crop in ground that is not blowing and waiting for a computer to get debugged.

One quarter of flowers left to plant on land that was PPd last year becasue the tree rows held enough snow that it was too wet to plant. Two years in a row that we could not get a crop on that land because it was too wet. Good moisture this year, but it was a bit of as mess with all the sprayer ruts left even on the top of the hills from all the moisture.

Ended up working about a 1/3 of the quarter just to get the ruts smoothed out.

All the land around it that did not have tree rows was seeded last spring. None of that is blowing this spring.

Indeed there was dirt blowing on a couple of fields up here that someone burned off for some reason this spring. Otherwise hunderds of thousands of acres that are just fine that are being no tilled.

Wondering for the easy chair quarter backs here, how would you have dealt with three years of EXTREME excess moisture to ensure you got a crop in the ground this spring?

Davy? ND Sportsman? want to weigh in?

I guess I didn;t know we would not get any snow so we did till some low areas last fall but left all our other stubble standing untilled. That gamble paid off this year, it did not the year before, the guys that worked all their ground two falls ago had a far better crop last year.

Anyways, have to go open up the fabric around all the trees on 5 3/4 mile tree rows we planted a few years ago this summer..........anyone want to help?

I appreciate you being a good steward of the land, but you can quit patting yourself on the back. Its unbecoming

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate you being a good steward of the land, but you can quit patting yourself on the back. Its unbecoming

Please hi liyte the "patting yourself on tyhe back" portions of a simple direct statement sharing information relating to the topic?

One might say whining about someone posting rather than simply ignoring them if you do not like their comments is "unbecoming".

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just planted 43 cedar trees around my house

I have a connection with cedar. Love the smell, look of it, pretty much everything about it. If I planted 43 of any tree around my house, I'd have a tough time mowing grass with a scissors. Can't wait to move out of town.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now i am guarding those things from the dogs, kids, wife on mower, guy hat will be haying the alfalfa in a few weeks. I hope i get a 50% survival rate.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please hi liyte the "patting yourself on tyhe back" portions of a simple direct statement sharing information relating to the topic?

One might say whining about someone posting rather than simply ignoring them if you do not like their comments is "unbecoming".

your definition and my definition of whining are much different apparently.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags, originally in this thread I made an effort to simply shared a point of veiw from a differing perspective by sharing information without making anything personal. Several people indicated an appreciation of that point of veiw.

I only re entered this conversation after Davy made his little smart ass quip which you replied to. I was merely responding to comments made about what is happening around the state with observations of what I see up here, you made an accusation of patting myself on the back which seems like you wish to turn this personal like Davy did instead of simply having a decent discussion.

Now you avoid answering a simple question to show what qualifies as such in what I said with another "whine" instead of trying to contribute something to the topic being discussed.

Do you have any insight or something to share into the topic of soil erosion?

- - - Updated - - -

One might say whining about someone posting rather than simply ignoring them if you do not like their comments is "unbecoming".:::

Perhaps that is easier for you to identify wags.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I rented some land a couple years now. The owner had a little plow and went the same way around for years. Beveled it out in the middle of little fields and rougher than a cob. Every year I worked it at anglers before planting to get some of the ditches out of it. 20 foot cuttings bars etc. don't work very good with one side digging in the dirt and the other 3 foot in the air.

This year I'm planting it to alfalfa and I harrowed it cross ways and at angles too much. Buried the stubble. Got it a bit black. It's raining now and I'm going to be OK, but another couple days of that wind and I would have had trouble. Not even the pine tree rows would have stopped this. Thank God for this rain.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Perfectly timed rain up here. Been a nice mild soaker all day long. Should soak up well and get most of these crops through the next 3 weeks or so.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5