Tractors

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grew up on JD 4010 (2), 4020 (3) and a 5020 (1). Used to fall asleep on the floor when I was little plowing with dad in the cab of the 5020, 1974 with row crop front end, factory 3 point and I believe a factory cab so this will probably be my next restoration project.
here is a list of what we have
IH B (X2)
IH MD
AC WD45
AC B
Case DC4
MM R
Oliver 88
JD 70 Diesel
JD Model D on all original steel
Cockshutt 30
McCormick 10-20
IH TD14-A with blade ran by cable
Ford 8N

If any of you guys are at Rollag for the WMSTR over labor day you can usually find me down at the tractor pull area (Saturday and Sunday) and when you see the guy on a 1937 JD D with steel wheels and spikes that would be me, the ol girl still puts on a good show. We also work during the pull and I normally have 3-4 different tractors between 5500-7500 so I am usually running for a few classes, this year my oldest daughter was helping me do the measurements as well as helping me line my tractors up before show time, she wanted to pull but can't operate a clutch safely yet but she still enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -

This year the Feature is Homebuilt equipment at WMSTR so that will hopefully be interesting, it is amazing what I have seen around there and what creations people have come up with over the years.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
20150627_110608.jpg
This is my neighbors 6hp Russell pull behind steamer.

- - - Updated - - -

One tractor I want and have looked for but have just had a hard time getting my hands on is a Cockshutt 20 (aka Co-op E2, Farmcrest 20, Gambles 20). They are out there but just not many. If any of you guys know of one or come across one I am always interested. Not really interested in one all fixed up as I would rather have a project, not like I have enough projects the way it is. Sometimes there is just something about bringing the old iron back to life and with my kids getting bigger it would be something that can fit in the garage that they can be exposed to working on along with something for them to build memories, yes my girls are becoming tractor nuts.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
48389052_2260525363967051_4407686204422619136_n.jpg
This is my neighbors 6hp Russell pull behind steamer.

- - - Updated - - -

One tractor I want and have looked for but have just had a hard time getting my hands on is a Cockshutt 20 (aka Co-op E2, Farmcrest 20, Gambles 20). They are out there but just not many. If any of you guys know of one or come across one I am always interested. Not really interested in one all fixed up as I would rather have a project, not like I have enough projects the way it is. Sometimes there is just something about bringing the old iron back to life and with my kids getting bigger it would be something that can fit in the garage that they can be exposed to working on along with something for them to build memories, yes my girls are becoming tractor nuts.

I have a co-op E something but can't remember the number. It's about the size of an H or M Farmall has a wide front and runs like a champ, I used it in the garden a few times and then blew my hat off going down the driveway in road gear , Dang that thing goes fast for an old tractor. Someone has added power steering to it. I'll run the serial # and see what it is and snap a picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a lot of iron went to town for the efforts of WW 2. The Indians came and clean a lot out from the farms during that time. I would doubt if it was traded in or at best sold straight out.

Davey would of been nice if it was to have been found in the bush.
Could not imagine using that but compare to horses i am sure it was a step up.
One of those nights when you get old and wonder around. db

- - - Updated - - -

When you wonder how it got up there then how did it leave? db

- - - Updated - - -

Davey maybe one day.
My dad sold his black team of work horses and bought a Case S tractor in earlier 50. Was still being used in late 60 when i was still at home and sometime in 80 my brother said he gave away as it was leaking water into the oil again.
Well about ten years ago here it shows up at a auction sale. Knew because of welding on it and it still had the snow tires from my 58 buick on the front.
Was going to buy but a young kid also wanted it because his granddad had one, so i went over 1000 but no way i could compete with the wheat prices at that time. db

- - - Updated - - -

As i got older and a little richer and with prices today i think i could blow that kid out of the water. Just being sold at the wrong time in my life. db

DB, now that you mention it could have still been in the neighborhood and got shipped out during the ration days. Still have a ration book but I forget what it is for , Maybe tires . Mom and Dad tied 5 old wore out tires to the trunk and roof of the car and drove clean up to Brandon Manitoba for their honeymoon.
The fun part for me sometimes is piecing together history , I always like a mystery. My grandpa died in 1930 when my dad was 11 and Dad didn't seem to remember much about tractors of those days other than the gray. When I was a kid I was a rock rock collector and I found what I thought was a meteorite shower area out in the field so I had this big collection of meteorites for years , Then about 10 years ago I showed some to a feller that knew something about rocks and given the characteristics, location and what not he determined they must be meteorites but he had asked are you sure there wasn't any coal burned in that area ?
I was sure. way out in the middle of the field who would haul ashes way out there ? And with all the wood in the hills there would be no need for coal.

Then one winter day we were looking at old pictures and here was a picture of the two round wood grain bins in the yard had once been out in the field by the spot where I found the meteorite and I realized that grandpa had set up a threshing machine there and must of had a steamer of some sort before the grey tractor because the grey was internal combustion . Another interesting piece of puzzle was My bride grew up 35 miles away out on the prairie and her family found an ad her grandpa had cut out of a paper where my grandpa had firewood and fence posts for sale. my grandpa must have sold wood and hauled coal back home for threshing .

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey,
if your Coop looks similar to my Cockshutt in this picture it is an E3 (4cyl) which is about the size of an IH H and if it is a 6cyl it is an E4 and more like an IH M. The only difference in these types is the color and the decals and the Cockshutt was marketed in Canada at that time with the other 3 I mentioned were marketed in the US. There is another form of Co-op that is not directly related though which would be called No.3, they almost look home built and resemble more of a plow style tractor, these typically had Continental engines and yes their road gear was scary fast. The thing that really got me so interested in Cockshutt is the very unique and long history of the brand.20150627_145441.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like it's a 49 E3 .I hauled it home from South Dakota a few years ago so I didn't have to drive down and back for part of a load. haha Those online auctions are dangerous at times. The new paint on it was horrible when I first got it but I left it out last summer and it faded some and looks better. I'm downsizing and going to sell this one and a few others this summer. Always open to trades . The binder and the gray my dad built not for sale, He spent his last years building collecting and selling toy models .

012.jpg017.jpg020.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

dam cat , No idea how he got on there when I went to edit and delete him it doesn't show up in edit window.

Attachments

012.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like them either big or small , The John Deere is a mini pulling tractor with a cox airplane engine in it , I have never been to anyplace where they have pulls but it would be fun to enter it sometime . I've never been to rollog Might go this year , I have a neighbor that goes almost every year and tells me I should bring some tractors but I'd rather just go look around.

- - - Updated - - -

That 504 is nice looking tractor . It looks so modern compared to other tractors built in the early 60s .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was expecting it to have clam shell fenders.

- - - Updated - - -

Dang I like that , when was it made and is it for sale ? It really caught my eye as something I wish I had.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was expecting it to have clam shell fenders.

- - - Updated - - -

Dang I like that , when was it made and is it for sale ? It really caught my eye as something I wish I had.

It did have the clam shell fenders. I picked up a set of 1967 fenders.

Good catch

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This WC with mounted cultivators needs to find a new home too, Works great for corn or any row crop .

Allis Chalmers 018.jpg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey,
if you get down to Rollag let me know. Like I said I am really not to hard to find.
20130831_142049.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cockshutt is the very unique and long history of the brand.49069769_2279153918783343_3294926221741129728_n.jpg

Scratchin my head , Mine is painted like a co-op and stamped made in Canada several places. The serial # is 30-25058 after reading more into cockshutt tractors someone posted on another sight that the 30- before the serial number means it's a cockshutt and tractor data shows a picture of a cockshutt serial number with the 30- in front. Suppose mine is cockshutt painted like a co-op ? Also what is the square hole in the frame ? It it for a universal mounting bracket or just for mounting a loader ?

- - - Updated - - -

wby257 your son has some cool stuff . Does that steam engine run ? I have a cretors that i run with compressed air. It was originally used on a popcorn popper in the 1800s All I have is the engine , I'd love to find a cart without an engine but that's a little needle in a big haystack

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
wby257 your son has some cool stuff . Does that steam engine run ? I have a cretors that i run with compressed air. It was originally used on a popcorn popper in the 1800s All I have is the engine , I'd love to find a cart without an engine but that's a little needle in a big haystack

Yes it does run, He runs it off Air. I told him he should hook it up to one of his cast iron radiators in his house and when ever the furnace would run it would to.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you Cockshutt lovers there is a guy north of Dickinson that has quite a few in his yard. About 5 miles north on Highway 22 west side by Green River bridge, Can't miss it right on the highway. I think his name is Gordy Ficek. May have his first name wrong though.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey the only difference between yours and mine is the paint, they rolled down the same line and some would be shot red and some orange so there is no true way to know cockshutt vs coop besides original paint

- - - Updated - - -

I got a book about the history of Cockshutt when I was restoring mine and it is a really interesting company

- - - Updated - - -

For you Cockshutt lovers there is a guy north of Dickinson that has quite a few in his yard. About 5 miles north on Highway 22 west side by Green River bridge, Can't miss it right on the highway. I think his name is Gordy Ficek. May have his first name wrong though.

I have visited with Gordy a couple times at Rollag, super interesting guy

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Back in the mid 50’s when I was about 11 -12 I’d drive a McCormick Deering 15-30 with steel lugged wheels, solid steel front tires. Had to be crank started, so after I gassed it up and hit a billion grease zerks and filled up the oil, one of the adults would crank it over and start it. I could pull about 10-12 feet of ancient harrows, and to get to the fields I ‘d have to drive right through town with the lugged wheels pulling the harrows down the road, down Main Street actually! No pavement in those days, though the lugs must have done a number on the wooden crossing on the rail road.
When Id hit the field I’d diagonally harrow across, sometimes as big a field as a half section. being a small kid I could barely steer the thing so I’d put my legs against the fender and pull with all my might to do a sort of figure 8 which resulted in a 180 degree turn to go back down the field. I’d sit on that hard metal seat all day, the engine noise deafening, and the harsh ride pounding on my back, sun beating down. No wonder I’m deaf with a horrible back and lots of precancerous Skin changes. LOL. Only stopped to pee or have lunch, but never shut down the engine - I wasn’t strong enough to crank it over. If I remember correctly the old girl had a hand clutch.
Later I graduated to “modern” tractors, like a Cockshutt, a couple of Co-OPs, a W6, W-9,then a WD-9! FINALLY when I left my farming career behind and went off to school, we got an brand spanking new International 660, the first tractor I ever drove with Power Steering! We kids thought we were in heaven! Now I even have power steering in my UTV! Getting soft in my old age maybe.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84