Tractors

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Watching Mecum "Gone Farming" spring tractor auction. Some of those old work horses really bring back the memories. Some good and some not so good.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the heads up, I just tuned in after I saw your post. I still like my old 50-20 JDs but common sense tells me I should restore one and sell it. I've watched them fetch a pretty penny.

- - - Updated - - -

Those Fords are going cheap.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bounced around a lot in 4010's and 4020's. Clipped thousands of acres of CRP on an open cab Case Hydro 84. Nothing super old, but they were still plugging in the late 90's and early 2000's.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I loved raking hay on that old W4... Still have a Farmall B at wife's family farm... someday, someday

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang, Some of those tractors are selling dirt cheap compared to the market value of the past few years I'm probably lucky they are so far away because of my addiction to them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dad never had large tractors, A John Deere, WD Alice and B Farmall with a single front wheel. That B could take corners like a Wheel Horse lawn mower if you used the breaks right, great tractor for mowing and rakeing hay. Plowing with the A JD 3/14 ment only 7ft per round in second gear. About as fast as you could walk. If you started early in the morning it didn't take long to walk to the pickup for noon dinner.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad never had large tractors, A John Deere, WD Alice and B Farmall with a single front wheel. That B could take corners like a Wheel Horse lawn mower if you used the breaks right, great tractor for mowing and rakeing hay. Plowing with the A JD 3/14 ment only 7ft per round in second gear. About as fast as you could walk. If you started early in the morning it didn't take long to walk to the pickup for noon dinner.

Those old Farmalls are dependable cheap horsepower. I have both A and B with a belly mowers and I don't think you could burn 5 gallons of gas a day in either one if you tried, I can in my smaller gas riding lawn mowers and it takes all day to do what I can do in a couple hours with the big toys.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use an old 8n with a finish mower to mow my yard until I get lazy and drag a 20 foot batwing over it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dad traded his IHC M loader tractor (farmhand f? for building hay stacks) in dee 50 for a IHC 400 in order to use pulling 2-7' JD press drills. First tractor i drove in dee field puling 30' of Melroe drag. I worked out west on a cattle ranch and dee whole summer was spent pulling a #9 or #8 JD 9' sickle mower and JD dump rake with dee 400. When not dat then a super WD-9 pulling a gram hoeme, disk, drill at dee same time. Before dat, rancher had the M and 400 hook together pulling those three pieces. Took half dee field to turn around in.

But i remember Dad telling mom saying then dat he got more for his M (i believe from the late 40) than he paid for it so he could not turn dee deal down. Dee price has been going up for a long time on them there McCormicks.
Before the M he had a F-? for dee field work and go back far enough he sold dee horses for a JD-D in the late 20 i do believe. db

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad traded his IHC M loader tractor (farmhand f? for building hay stacks) in dee 50 for a IHC 400 in order to use pulling 2-7' JD press drills. First tractor i drove in dee field puling 30' of Melroe drag. I worked out west on a cattle ranch and dee whole summer was spent pulling a #9 or #8 JD 9' sickle mower and JD dump rake with dee 400. When not dat then a super WD-9 pulling a gram hoeme, disk, drill at dee same time. Before dat, rancher had the M and 400 hook together pulling those three pieces. Took half dee field to turn around in.

But i remember Dad telling mom saying then dat he got more for his M (i believe from the late 40) than he paid for it so he could not turn dee deal down. Dee price has been going up for a long time on them there McCormicks.
Before the M he had a F-? for dee field work and go back far enough he sold dee horses for a JD-D in the late 20 i do believe. db

Yaw sure ya betcha

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB , My Grandpa had a Grey tractor exactly like the one n the video , One of the first tractors in the hills. I wish I knew how he got it up here and where it went. I have a picture of him hauling a big barn with horses so I suppose he might have drove that to town and hauled the grey home or drove it 6 miles home. My Dad spent many months making a perfect miniature replica from pictures of one saw at a museum , I'll post pictures of the replica he made or it didn't happen , You will crap your pants. dad had a Super M with the serial numbers of 00000013 Probably not exact but the serial # was 13 , No idea where that ever went but I remember the tractor .

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe a lot of iron went to town for the efforts of WW 2. The Indians came and clean a lot out from the farms during that time. I would doubt if it was traded in or at best sold straight out.

Davey would of been nice if it was to have been found in the bush.
Could not imagine using that but compare to horses i am sure it was a step up.
One of those nights when you get old and wonder around. db

- - - Updated - - -

When you wonder how it got up there then how did it leave? db

- - - Updated - - -

Davey maybe one day.
My dad sold his black team of work horses and bought a Case S tractor in earlier 50. Was still being used in late 60 when i was still at home and sometime in 80 my brother said he gave away as it was leaking water into the oil again.
Well about ten years ago here it shows up at a auction sale. Knew because of welding on it and it still had the snow tires from my 58 buick on the front.
Was going to buy but a young kid also wanted it because his granddad had one, so i went over 1000 but no way i could compete with the wheat prices at that time. db

- - - Updated - - -

As i got older and a little richer and with prices today i think i could blow that kid out of the water. Just being sold at the wrong time in my life. db

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a few older rides I really enjoy. A Ford 4000 gas, with the selecto-matic transmission, 3 point and 540. Use this for tilling and planting my food plots and dragging out the horse crap in the barn a couple times a year with a 6 foot blade on the back. Oliver 1750 gas, only made for a few years, 3 point, dual PTO, this is my baling tractor and pulls a 605H Vermeer with ease at about 1800 rpms. The one I use the most is my International 656 gas Hydrostatic. Simply one of the best old tractors I've ever been around. Actually decent on fuel and extremely easy to operate.

These old tractors are fetching a pretty penny. I have only had these tractors a few years, but I have no doubt I could about double my money on each of them if I decided to sell.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the early 70's bought a IH MD that had been abused used it to rake hay for years. After the horses were gone it was parked for a couple years then my brother in-law restored it. It needed alot of parts and work. He is a perfectionist. Drove it in a few parades then it sat for a long time so sold it to a hobby farmer. He still uses it and keeps it looking great. Love looking at old tractors.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
gram hoeme
Its been a long time since I have heard that word. Didn't even know how to spell it. I used to pull one with a U Minneapolis Moline. That would have been about 1958. At ten years old I was to small to operate the clutch on the other tractors, but the U had a hand clutch. I don't remember why, but I would stand all day while I pulled that gram hoeme. I think our WC Allis was a 1946. My transportation for fishing was a Ford with overdrive. I could work the clutch on that little tractor. It did 22 mph.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked a lot of rocks with a JD model R when I was a kid. Loved starting that tractor and seeing how high I could shoot the coffee can in the air that was covering the smoke stack.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those Poppen Johnnys could sure put the can in the air. Had to laugh at that memory.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 1962 IH 504 gas that I have a 7 ft 2 stage snowblower and 6 ft tiller to keep it busy. No need to plug it in, as it starts and purrs like a fuel injected kitten. The torque assist is very handy when blowing in deep snow or for tilling.

I bought it 6 yrs ago at a farm auction for 3500.00. Best money I have spent in a long time. Its more of a investment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84