Tractors

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've dug out a far number of rocks with a set of pallet forks! I think on a tractor, a ripper on the 3 point is likely to be a bit more stout though. The loaders aren't as heavy or tough as a skid-steer loader so you probably want to be a little careful of you use a set of forks on one to pop out rocks.
The only thing that i think would save the loader arms on the compact tractors would be you could center the forks and hopefully not side load. I do think the ripper would be the best for small tractors though. I always wanted to put a snow blade on the little bobcat tractor we had but read some bad things about twisting arms because the loader arms weren't strong enough if the snow blade caught anything off center.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only thing that i think would save the loader arms on the compact tractors would be you could center the forks and hopefully not side load. I do think the ripper would be the best for small tractors though. I always wanted to put a snow blade on the little bobcat tractor we had but read some bad things about twisting arms because the loader arms weren't strong enough if the snow blade caught anything off center.

I actually run a 100" snow pusher on my bobcat 9TL loader. Consider however that my Bobcat CT445 is the largest frame size of the compact tractors. With fluid in the rear tires and the loader it's a 6000+ lb tractor.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Polaris 6x6 that I use to push snow. It has a 7 ft blade on it. This is what happens when you hit the corner of the driveway at 15 mph. And you get thrown off the front of the machine. I changed the way I push snow now. It happened 3 times.
Screenshot_20240926-121934_Gallery.jpg

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid, there was a B John Deere that pulled a LOT of large boulders out. All I needed was a chain. Use the bucket to expose a point on the rock so one could wrap a chain around it, then give'r the onion. My bucket was an old rockpicker with a toothed lift like this one:
1727327138211.png
You would bend or break the teeth messing with the rock, but they worked to get the dirt away from the edges.

As an 11 to 13 yr old...I rocked at removing what I thought were big rocks. Some probably weighed near a ton or two.
Looks sweet but I would be wary of CHAINS! Know of a couple ppl that it didnt end so well. :(

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't think a utility tractor would have enough giddy-up to snap a high tensile chain, but I've been wrong before.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The few rocks we have in my area have taught me that when you see a bit of rock sticking out of the ground, its usually 10 times bigger than what you think. Have seen a few small rocks peeking out in hay fields, thinking I'll take a spade and dig it out. After probing around you forget about the spade and get the loader tractor, small ones like 1000lbs or less come out some easy some not so easy. The last three I needed gone I had a guy with an excavator pull out. First two weren't bad but bigger than I expected. Last one the operator guessed at 4 to 5000lbs as he carried it out of the field he could feel it lighten up the back of his excavator. Glad I didn't try and dig that one out with a loader tractor.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out to do some longer range shooting today and caught my brother out playing with one of his tractors.
Screenshot_20240927-221601_Gallery.jpg

Day before they were cutting corn and doing some packing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 325
  • This month: 215
  • This month: 173
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74