Updated SB 2315 Online

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
As expected, the final amended version of SB 2315 just went up on bill tracker.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-0896-02000.pdf

I see they've added the infraction portion, and have now included members from an "agriculture committee" and "sportsmen committee" as public overseers of the database with the previous government appointees. Though I am guessing they mean "groups" (ie: NDWF, DU, etc.) and not "committees" and that will have to be clarified, further evidence of a rush job.

They've also made the guide language less extreme and don't specifically open unposted lands though they don't exclude guides from them either, as is how it is currently arranged.

No matter how this ends, it is apparent sportsmen were heard on the oversight issue and the reaction to the guiding language (much of the changes seems almost verbatim from some of this site's discussions). Fundamental issues still remain, and the addition of Section 8 at the last page creates more confusion as to whether or not this creates a guide for the next legislature, or if this will be the law (probably both, which makes me more concerned about the forced and kitchen-sink nature of this bill).

Now we wait and see what the Senate does. Thanks to everyone who reached out and contacted their legislators, it has been quite the experience. I'm still not in favor due to the lessened penalty and "free pass" which wasn't previously available, and that there is little in this bill that will prevent trespassing - only the hope of reducing posting duties. A good bill should have done both, this does neither.

But there's an old saying -- "A good compromise is one in which neither side is happy." :)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just finished reading the bill and it still has unneeded written all over it. First: In section 20.1-1-18 it states "An individual may hunt or pursue game, or enter for those purposes, upon legallyposted land belonging to another without first obtaining the permission of the person legallyentitled to grant the same permission. Which shows it needs to have a NOT before hunting as this statement gives everyone permission to do whatever. SMH

Second: Section 20.1-01-20 Entering private land with a hunting license and a gun or firearmprima facie evidence of intent to hunt game.Proof that an individual had a firearm, or other weapon declared legal bygovernor's proclamation, and a valid license to hunt game in therelevant area when the individual entered upon the private premises of anotherwithout permission of the owner or tenant is prima facie evidence the individual enteredto hunt or pursue game" Basically saying that if you go over to someone's house, ie private land, with a gun in your truck and a hunting licence in your pocket, it's prima facia evidence that you intend to hunt game. What if that land is posted?? Does this mean you are now hunting on posted land and can be cited?? SMH

Seems to me all members of this committee to oversee this proposed land marking database is all designated and not elected so how again are the folks of ND supposed to be involved in decisions again????? SMH

The database isn't mandatory for landowners so it's usefulness is very questionable and will only add confusion and costs without showing any benefits that I can see AND the old way of posting is still in use which then begs the question WHY DO WE NEED THIS AGAIN?????

It's still garbage legislation that is unneeded, unwanted, will cost everyone in taxes, adds layers of bureaucracy and confusion, adds increased burden for law enforcement and doesn't prevent trespassing in any way. I hope this thing dies today!!

Last edited:

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one find out how each Senator voted?

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if it'd be possible to hold a sportsman rally on the Capital steps the Saturday before the House votes on it? The local news (KFYR) made this bill out to be the best thing since sliced bread. Be nice to show there's another side to this issue.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if it'd be possible to hold a sportsman rally on the Capital steps the Saturday before the House votes on it? The local news (KFYR) made this bill out to be the best thing since sliced bread. Be nice to show there's another side to this issue.
Awesome idea.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Capture.JPG

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My State Senator (Diane Larson) voted No. Hopefully it will fail in the House.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does one find out how each Senator voted?

YEAS: Clemens; Davison; Dotzenrod; Elkin; Erbele; Heckaman; Hogan; Hogue; Kannianen;Klein; Krebsbach; Kreun; Larsen, O.; Lee, G.; Lee, J.; Luick; Meyer; Myrdal; Oehlke;Osland; Patten; Roers, J.; Rust; Schaible; Unruh; Vedaa; Wanzek; Wardner

NAYS: Anderson; Bakke; Bekkedahl; Burckhard; Cook; Dever; Fors; Grabinger; Holmberg;Larson, D.; Marcellais; Mathern; Oban; Piepkorn; Poolman; Robinson; Roers, K.;Sorvaag

ABSENT AND NOT VOTING: Dwyer

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fuck em! Not ashamed to say that. I may just run against our incumbent next time out of spite.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Next time I run into my so called senator at the post office he is getting an ear full.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting, it looks like this eliminates the requirement for trappers to obtain "written" permission in order to trap on unposted land or land that they have been granted access to.

- - - Updated - - -

They've also made the guide language less extreme and don't specifically open unposted lands though they don't exclude guides from them either, as is how it is currently arranged.

I dunno about you, but the part about guides, as I read it, appears to read the same as it did in the last version of this that was posted in the other topic, except they just worded it differently.... rather than writing that it is permitted for them to guide on "open" land without written permission, the basically just omitted open land from the lands that require written permission for them to guide on... seems like they just tried to use some tricky wording to make it look like they changed it when in fact they did nothing of the sort.... unless it states elsewhere in another section that they must obtain written permission to guide on private land...

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting, it looks like this eliminates the requirement for trappers to obtain "written" permission in order to trap on unposted land or land that they have been granted access to.

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno about you, but the part about guides, as I read it, appears to read the same as it did in the last version of this that was posted in the other topic, except they just worded it differently.... rather than writing that it is permitted for them to guide on "open" land without written permission, the basically just omitted open land from the lands that require written permission for them to guide on... seems like they just tried to use some tricky wording to make it look like they changed it when in fact they did nothing of the sort.... unless it states elsewhere in another section that they must obtain written permission to guide on private land...

Prior to this bill, guides DID NOT need permission to guide on unposted land. So as I understand it, this changes nothing.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see my western ND guys voted in favor, fucking bullshit on them.
Looks like I voted for the RINO sobs

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of RINOS in this state. They dont know what conservative is. They just know they wont get elected with a D behind their name. This bill is a big fucking mess. We can still try to defeat it in the house. Lots of city legislators represent there. But we need to get our shit together. Time for "wait and see" is over.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88