Veterans Day

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you to all the veterans on this special day for fighting and protecting my freedom so I can post on the best damn public website in North Dakota.

Attachments

Zjge5K7keCpL.png

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
A heart felt thank you to all that have served and those that are currently serving in the armed forces. Because of your service to this country I get to see things like this at the end of today’s deer hunt.

8A15A92A-FC28-48F7-853B-C8C0BD6C1CC9.jpeg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As I grew older and look back at my life and the various thing that have happen, I think about my 22 months in artillery and my time in nam.

In 1968 I was 21 and just finish college. Not sure how the draft board knew I was getting done with college, but they told me to report for my physical in May of that year.

Ma asked me to go back to school and get the 2s status back to avoid the draft.
Went to enroll but as I sat waiting for the person to enroll me, I decide I had enough of school. Went to the draft board and asked why they had not told me to report for service. He said if I want, I will get a letter next week.

I know if I did what ma wanted I never would of went. However, that time in the service was one of my greatest moments in my life. Never would of happen without the draft. Yes, i was a part of death and as an in mature 22-year-old seen things that shaped my life forever. It was all positive for the most part and now people say thank you to me because I served.

I say thanks to this country for giving me that opportunity. db

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I grew older and look back at my life and the various thing that have happen, I think about my 22 months in artillery and my time in nam.

In 1968 I was 21 and just finish college. Not sure how the draft board knew I was getting done with college, but they told me to report for my physical in May of that year.

Ma asked me to go back to school and get the 2s status back to avoid the draft.
Went to enroll but as I sat waiting for the person to enroll me, I decide I had enough of school. Went to the draft board and asked why they had not told me to report for service. He said if I want, I will get a letter next week.

I know if I did what ma wanted I never would of went. However, that time in the service was one of my greatest moments in my life. Never would of happen without the draft. Yes, i was a part of death and as an in mature 22-year-old seen things that shaped my life forever. It was all positive for the most part and now people say thank you to me because I served.

I say thanks to this country for giving me that opportunity. db

I love this song because of the tension between college communist sympathizers and folks like you DB. I pray you don't have the issues the subject is experiencing. Again, I'm GLAD you did your job. The loss of Charlie Daniels was a loss for our Country and Walter Cronkite can FH in his grave. You guys started all this "Thank You For Your Service": It was a good move:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got this from a ex-Navy friend. Good read!

Thought this was a nice story to share.

There are whole books full of stories written about the Red Poppy and its significance to our veterans today.
Some of you may already have heard this story.
This elderly Veteran was sitting at his table in front of a store on Veterans day when a middle aged lady stopped and picked up a poppy from his table and proceeded to pin the poppy to her left side at the lapel.The old vet asked her if he could place the poppy where it should be pinned. She looked at him rather surprised and said, why certainly. She handed him her poppy and he proceeded to attach the poppy to her right side while telling her why she should place the poppy here.
The poppy should always be placed on the right side positioned at about the 11o'clock position.
He asked, 'Do you know why we use the Poppy as a reminder and symbol of remembrance?' He said; the reason for the colors being Red, Black and Green are, ( as he proceeded to tell her) The red is for the lives of those that didn't come home and who were lost in battle. The Black center represents the mourning of those who didn't have their loved one return from battle. And, the Green, The Green leafs represent the future and the green grass in the fields and the outlook for prosperity and for a better future.
The reason for placing it in the 11 o'clock position was decided after WW-1 ended and the treaty was signed. On the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month the war was over and the treaty was officially signed. Supposedly ending the war of all wars.
There was concern in the gentlemen's face as he and she stood there with misty eyes and he said: ``I am worried that all of this will soon be lost,my generation is passing on and I'm sad that so many young people will never understand this”.
So, when you have a chance to buy a poppy remember to say “Thanks” and if time permits stop and chat with them about the poppy.
Thank you for all those that served and also for our first responders.

God Bless America.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
synmag:

Got me wondering so I had to look up the lyrics.

After I was home for a couple of days, I went to the local one-horse town bar. Friends and cousins from before were there. The reception was not what I expected mainly from a nam vet that, for the most part, was passed out at the bar. Bought all my own beers and did not buy any for those who sat in the corner. Ended up visiting with myself and a word or two with the pass out vet.

The next morning i adjusted. Had a whole new life ahead of me. Got in my 68 Delta 88 and headed for California to lose my virginity to one of those free love ladies of the sixty. Saigon has and continues to be a long-ago memory. Memories are stronger from the trip to California.
There are thoughts now and then about those times over there and more now as i have gotten older. But i am okay. db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you to all the veterans on this special day for fighting and protecting my freedom so I can post on the best damn public website in North Dakota.
Why did you feel the need to make Veterans Day a political post?

We have vets on both sides of the aisle, making it about anything but their service is just something that needs to be under the political topics.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Allen you are correct letting veterans know that our country doesn't give a shit about them isn't something that should be posted becuase most already know that already.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84