What a evening

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it is youth deer here now so me and the boy go out and were going to sit for a.doe. Well we get to the spot and start walking in through a shelter belt. I tell him lets sneak out here and make sure we don't scare any deer. As we step out there she stands a big magnificent doe. She sees us but we have the wind in our favor so we hit the ground. We need to belly crawl to a clump of dirt so my son can she here over the Crp and as we do our best army crawl she just stands there stomping and blowing. After what seems like an hour we get to the mound I get the rifle on the bipod for him. Now she is really looking nervous and he is getting excited trying to get her in the scope truth be told dad's heart is pumping pretty good right now. So she is standing slightly quartering facing us. We have practiced alot on where to shoot broad side I probably should have went over more so I am trying to explain on the fly where to aim. With one eye on the deer one on the.kid trying to keep him calm all while I need to keep calm he says I am ready. Flips the safety off and bang every one that has shot a deer knows.that sound of a solid hit and down she goes. Jaxon stays on the scope to watch and make.sure she doesn't get up and run I she in the binos she is down for good. So I let him lead the way and the excitement and smile when we got up there was something I will never forget. He helped gutter it drag her back and skin her. We then cut it all up for.jerky we are making tomorrow. Didn't take long to fall asleep for him tonight. This truly be a evening I will never forget. KIMG0386.jpgKIMG0386.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best hunting post so far this season. It's going to take a hell of a tale to beat this one. Well done, dad. Congrats. Thanks for sharing it with us. Let me be the first to say, "I don't see a tag in that picture!" ;-)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome, but might I suggest saving the back straps and tenderloins for the grill, then jerky the rest
Congrats to you both

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great story. My boys are in college now. Of all the hunting memories we have made to date, the youth deer ones are the best. Wait till next year when you go after a buck. Great story and good job dad!

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the best thing that I have read today. I'll tell you what my dad told me after my first hunt. "It's a hell of a thing, raising your future best friend." You and I and I bet a lot of the guys on this site are on that same path. It's one hell of a journey. Congrats!

DarkWhiskey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats!! I remember taking my daughter when she shot her first deer.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations to the young hunter!!!! That's Great!!!!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A nice big fat jerky doe, how much better could a Friday night possibly get? Magnificient!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome, but might I suggest saving the back straps and tenderloins for the grill, then jerky the rest
Congrats to you both

Oh yes we are having back straps on the grill for.supper tonight. He wanted them for breakfast steak and egg style but I had to run on to work this morning.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice job Jaxon! Better bring some jerky to Jen when you get your hair cut next time!

He said he will bring her a bag. After football today I think we are going out on the lake wants fresh walleye and deer steaks for supper. Gonna be good eats tonight.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to you both, memories to last a lifetime!

My youngest son and I had a great youth hunt as well not to long ago, so darn fun!

wes muley colage.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is a great definition and example of the intangible. It's like trying to describe how bacon tastes to someone who's never had it. I get SO MUCH more joy by witnessing the boy's success than any of my own. The few years it took me to "put down" my rod and gun to watch the "skill" I imparted saddens me. I finally "got it" the same year the family blew up on me. I try to focus on these fleeting moments instead of the pain but it's difficult. He's knocking the hell out of hawg bass in Ga through experience with me, phone calls, texting and shipments from Bass Pro. I'll never have a hunt with him at this age. I got him through ND Hunter Safety then he was gone. This is great treasure and I'm happy to see profound appreciation of the value by better fathers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33