Which New Truck Do I Need?

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on how fast you are looking to buy it might be worth waiting for the new Nissan Titan Diesel. over 12,000 pound towing, factory turnover ball and a Cummins V-8 diesel which they are saying upper 20's on the hiway not pulling.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can never go big enough. Might as well go all out and get one of these!

newfordf6500-1.jpg

If I didn't have a wife to keep me in check, this would be my choice!

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually weigh your camper and boat with normal loads of stuff in them. The towing capacities of drivetrains and the load-bearing capacities are listed in the pickup manufacturer's brochures, normally near the back. Remember the weight on the kingpin of a 5th wheel runs 20%-30% of the total weight of the trailer.
Buy something with towing capacity about 1 1/2 times your total towed load to protect the drivetrain from overheating. Minimize interior options (it's a truck!) and put your hard-earned $$ into power.
Never believe a salesman's advice. He's paid extra to sell whatever has been on the lot the longest, and usually knows nothing about towing.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd lean towards a Kenworth if I were you.
Ohhhh, you're talking about pickups, not trucks! Now I'm following you!
Sorry...had to...

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I check into this before my research too. Just an FYI, the Tundra is made in Texas, the engine is made in USA as are 75% of the rest of the truck. That's more than Chevy/GMC and Ram. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-8-most-american-trucks-for-2014.html/?a=viewall

I know this, it says right on the window sticker if you buy new. Im guess most of the electrical is made by the asians? I hope so, they make damn good electrical items, i dont want my elecronics made in the USA

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone please tell me that those aren't wheelie bars under the rear bumper. I mean, if they are, then that's cool.

Kind of looks like it but would they do any good if it could actually lift the front end off the ground?

16998_small.jpg

Here's another one. Maybe something to do with being able to tilt the box? :;:huh

My-Trash-6.jpg

Last edited:

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually weigh your camper and boat with normal loads of stuff in them. The towing capacities of drivetrains and the load-bearing capacities are listed in the pickup manufacturer's brochures, normally near the back. Remember the weight on the kingpin of a 5th wheel runs 20%-30% of the total weight of the trailer.
Buy something with towing capacity about 1 1/2 times your total towed load to protect the drivetrain from overheating. Minimize interior options (it's a truck!) and put your hard-earned $$ into power.
Never believe a salesman's advice. He's paid extra to sell whatever has been on the lot the longest, and usually knows nothing about towing.

Pretty ignorant to say.... Maybe you just need to find the right salesman!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be shopping for a new truck soon and am not sure which make and model I should get. I have always driven Chevy but am willing to try something else. I am more about the functionality than the brand. I need enough power to handle my 18.5' glass boat with ease but also capable of pulling a small 5th wheel camper and the boat a couple times a year. I have also heard good things about diesel but know nothing about them or if there are some cons to diesel. Also, what options don't I want to live without? Thanks in advance for the advice.

A question that hasn't been brought up yet is...WHY buy NEW necessarily? Dang new ones depreciate like 20% the first year alone. Do you plan on keeping it for a long while or trade in a few years? If you plan on keeping for a long while..then yes..buying new makes sense..if you plan on trading in a few years..your depreciation will be money out of your pocket..better have a good vehicle with a good history of resale value.
How about the option of gently used? one right off lease perhaps?..program vehicle perhaps? Maybe one that still has some warranty left on it. Personally...since I don't like the Joneses anyway..so feel no need to keep up with them...so I buy used and not worry about the 20% depreciation and save that money for other toys that I must have. My.02

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
A question that hasn't been brought up yet is...WHY buy NEW necessarily?

Yep, I will consider gently used....I generally keep things for a long time. I will be parting with my 1997 truck that I bought new. My hope was to get thoughts on Makes and Models which I am getting so thanks for all the posts. Tundra wasn't in my top 2 but will have to rethink that after seeing these posts.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of looks like it but would they do any good if it could actually lift the front end off the ground?

16998_small.jpg

Here's another one. Maybe something to do with being able to tilt the box? :;:huh

My-Trash-6.jpg

I think that is a different truck, looks like it is a 6 door

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is where we disagree: yes it’s a truck but it’s my primary vehicle and the one I drive everyday and weekends and hunting and ice fishing so I want bells, whistles and gadgets and comfort…so interior is a big plus in my book…and the industry seems to agree as most truck interiors have been redesigned with the driver in mind…

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
we bought a new 3/4 ton ram laramie in 14 with a 6.4 hemi to replace a 1 ton diesel... very happy so far with 25k on the truck...

fwiw, throw 1000# in the back and it rides as good as a 1/2 ton, and will pull the same mileage as a 1/2 with mid range gears, all while not fighting diesel in the winter...

good luck...

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
What ever you decide try to avoid Minot and most of the western part of the state to buy it. I picked up a 2003 F150 with just over 100K on it at Devils Lake. Basically the same truck with more miles, rougher interior and more dings in it was $4000 more in Minot.

I have not bought anything from them but I did call Aberdeen Chrysler to see what they had and they were looking for what I wanted when I found the one in DL.

I have talked to several guys that have bought their trucks in Aberdeen and they seem to be top of the line for customer service. (one guy had trouble with the suspension and steering linkages with a used pickup he bought, they came and got it, left him a nicer loaner, fixed the pickup and returned it to him out here in Western North Dakota) Next vehicle I get Aberdeen Chrysler will be the first ones I call.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am fairly sure that GM did not repay the tax payer bailout to us, the tax payers who bailed out this privately held company. I like Chevy's, used to drive them, was a staunch Chevy guy. Would get in long GST style rants about how Chevy is the best truck made, and every other truck sucks. Well when they repay the debt, I will maybe think about getting one in the future again.

I drive a 2012 Ford F250 diesel, and a 2015 Ford Explorer. I like the Dodge trucks, but have a buddy that is such a fag when it comes to how great dodges are, I just cant drive one.

I think if you are planning on towing a lot any diesel is the way to go, if its just a couple times a year and a half ton can handle it, no sense in driving a huge diesel pickup, of course unless you put a couple stacks in the back with some monster stickers, and maybe get some cool white rimmed sunglasses. hahaha

Yes according to Forbes GMC has paid back their loan of 13.4 billion from TARP government program "bailout", BUT did you know that ford borrowed 15.9 billion dollars also just under a different program TALF "loan" . Also Ford did not have to close any of the name brands unlike GMC. So yeah GMC did pay back the money that was given to them.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu...axpayers-money-the-answer-might-surprise-you/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67