Which New Truck Do I Need?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be shopping for a new truck soon and am not sure which make and model I should get. I have always driven Chevy but am willing to try something else. I am more about the functionality than the brand. I need enough power to handle my 18.5' glass boat with ease but also capable of pulling a small 5th wheel camper and the boat a couple times a year. I have also heard good things about diesel but know nothing about them or if there are some cons to diesel. Also, what options don't I want to live without? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to have a pickup that is more like a car get a 1/2 ton. The new 3/4 tons ride pretty damn good now a days. I run a 2013 ram 3/4 ton crew cab with a 6.7 Cummins and I have no complaints about it. I pull the same size loads your talking about and the truck doesn't even know it's there. One option I wouldn't skip out on is the back up camera. Oh the heated steering wheel and seats are awesome and available with cloth interior. Can't go wrong with a new duramax either. I will keep my comments to myself about the other brand.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't set my budget in stone but was thinking 45K should get me something serviceable.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any 1/2 ton on the market will do what you need. ..so ask yourself 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?...then next I would ask interior space or bed length or both. ..then what options are important ? ?? Narrow some of those questions down and get back to us...for me interior space was high on the list and being able to fit in my garage, I was also spoiled with lots of options on my previous vehicle so couldn't really see dropping $30k-$40k on new vehicle with less options after months of Internet research I found for me a Tundra Crew Max limited was the best option it wasn't brand new but with only 21k miles on it new enough for me...and easier on the pocket book just added a new car scented air freshener and it was like driving it out of the factory

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a 3/4 ton. 1/2 tons now days are just glorified grocery getters. Yes they will pull what u want but not the safest option. I used to pull a 28 foot camper with half ton. Won't do it again after getting a 3/4 ton. I have a 2013 dodge with a 6.7 diesel. Don't even know anything is back there unless u have a good wind or look at your fuel milage.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same position as you 6 months ago. I did a lot of research on resale value and quality vs options offered. I settled on a Tundra after driving an F150 for 11 years. I kept the F150. The Tundra is the leader in resale value and very high on quality. You get decent bells and whistles but not as many as the Fords and Chevrolets offer. IMO, with the Toyotas you trade the bells and whistles for quality. I have been very happy with the Tundra overall. Great power. The down side is that they are thirsty bastards. I average about 15 mpg overall. Like Martinslanding said, a lightly used Tundra is a good buy...if you can find one.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toyota Tundra is where its at. Pulled a 28' camper with it for 2 years until I sold the camper. Its the first new pickup ive ever bought and will be buying another. Its a 2011 and I have never had any issues, other than new tires, the factory tires aren't great, the quality is top notch...say what you want about "made in America" but you cant go wrong with a Toyota.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toyota Tundra is where its at. Pulled a 28' camper with it for 2 years until I sold the camper. Its the first new pickup ive ever bought and will be buying another. Its a 2011 and I have never had any issues, other than new tires, the factory tires aren't great, the quality is top notch...say what you want about "made in America" but you cant go wrong with a Toyota.

I check into this before my research too. Just an FYI, the Tundra is made in Texas, the engine is made in USA as are 75% of the rest of the truck. That's more than Chevy/GMC and Ram. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-8-most-american-trucks-for-2014.html/?a=viewall

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will agree with the tundra crew max as well, just a dam good truck all the way around. I am on my second now and won't go back, although I plan on keeping this one for the long haul, first one was the 4.6 2011, only pulled a 16' aluminum at the time and went to the 5.7 when I got the 5th wheel. For a short time period I did pull my 26' fifth wheel with the 16', even that 4.6 had plenty of power to pull it.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a new super duty. F250 will be just right. Don't go wasting money on a platinum. You can get all the bells and whistles going with the lariate including the back up cam. You won't be disappointed. Half ton just isn't quite enough and with the new ones, your fuel mileage will be better than some of the dam half tons believe it or not. Crew cab is essential for room.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty obvious you need the one that will haul the leaves out of your yard, before they all end up down the street.

Have heard lots of good things about the Tundra as well. Know a guy who's had three of them. I can get his number I'm sure, if you're interested in talking to him.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 2014 GMC 1/2 ton all terrain last year and couldn't be happier. Gas mileage is great and plenty of power. I pull a 619 ranger and depending on the wind, 11 to 12 mpg. The ride and quietness is second to none. Only my opinion though. Good luck with the shopping. That's the fun part.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same position as you three years ago and decided on a f-250 diesel. I keep it in the garage until I pull the camper and/or boat. I have a 31 ft. camper and 18 ft. boat. Pulling the train I will get 11 mpg. Not pulling, I get 18 mpg. I don't like driving it for work and errands. I kept my pos car for that. I save a lot of money (gas, oil changes, and fuel filter) having my car as my daily driver. One thing to keep in mind when choosing between a gas engine and diesel is that regular maintenance on a diesel will easily be triple what a gas truck will cost. This is my first ford truck after a long line of Chevys and I would make the same choice again. I love the power and mpg of the truck.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The good:

All of the new 3/4T diesels are a dream to drive, especially while towing. They give a sense of security/safety partly because of the big power/torque they all make, partly because they're a heavier overall vehicle vs. 1/2T and with a bigger load and/or stiff winds it's less likely for the driver to get that "tail wagging the dog" feeling. With the power/torque all of the new diesels make they never really seem like they're working. They'll pull a big load up a steep hill and most often stay in top gear (automatic) while just letting the turbo spool up and handle the load. The new auto transmissions they're all using have a manual mode that are (IMO) every bit as effective as a full manual tranny. In the case of my '11 F-250 in manual mode it shifts every bit as fast as I can run a manual. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy towing with any of them.

The challenge:

DPF/DEF systems. They're existence pretty much mandates that you bring them up to full temp every time you drive them. My '11 takes ~20min @ highway speed for the motor to come up to temp. Basically, when it's below freezing it takes from Fargo to Casselton before I'm fully up to temp, even with a 5-10min warmup idle. Stop and go driving around town when it's cold out I never get up to full temp even if I let it idle a bunch. When you're not getting up to full temp the problems start at the back and work their way forward. Sensors in the exhaust, then clogging of the EGR, then plugging of injectors. The $$ for the fixes go up quickly as they work from back to front. If a person lived a little way out or work allowed for a 20-30min continuous (not stop and go in town) driving then they'd be unlikely to have a problem. If a person lives in-town and drives across town for work and shuts the truck down every day, over time, they'll likely have exhaust related troubles.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am fairly sure that GM did not repay the tax payer bailout to us, the tax payers who bailed out this privately held company. I like Chevy's, used to drive them, was a staunch Chevy guy. Would get in long GST style rants about how Chevy is the best truck made, and every other truck sucks. Well when they repay the debt, I will maybe think about getting one in the future again.

I drive a 2012 Ford F250 diesel, and a 2015 Ford Explorer. I like the Dodge trucks, but have a buddy that is such a fag when it comes to how great dodges are, I just cant drive one.

I think if you are planning on towing a lot any diesel is the way to go, if its just a couple times a year and a half ton can handle it, no sense in driving a huge diesel pickup, of course unless you put a couple stacks in the back with some monster stickers, and maybe get some cool white rimmed sunglasses. hahaha

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a 1/2 ton Ford F150 and it pulls everything I put behind it. It does it very well, I don't want to own a diesel. I can't say my 1/2 ton pulls as well as a diesel, but I don't ask it to. As far a safety, I have never once felt unsafe pulling the camper and boat. I like my pickup and don't plan on getting a diesel in the near future.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. If you are looking at Ram 1500 Diesel and have plans of pulling with it DON"T DO IT. The suspension on the Ram 1500 Diesel is not set up for pulling.
2. If you're not pulling heavy loads don't spend the extra money for a 3/4 ton as the MPGs will be significantly less than a 1/2 ton.
3. If you are planning to tow at the upper end of the 1/2 ton capabilities test drive a new Silverado with 6.2 and 8 speed tranny absolutely a beast great power and great mileage when cruising without a trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

I am fairly sure that GM did not repay the tax payer bailout to us, the tax payers who bailed out this privately held company. I like Chevy's, used to drive them, was a staunch Chevy guy. Would get in long GST style rants about how Chevy is the best truck made, and every other truck sucks. Well when they repay the debt, I will maybe think about getting one in the future again.
I drive a 2012 Ford F250 diesel, and a 2015 Ford Explorer. I like the Dodge trucks, but have a buddy that is such a fag when it comes to how great dodges are, I just cant drive one.

I think if you are planning on towing a lot any diesel is the way to go, if its just a couple times a year and a half ton can handle it, no sense in driving a huge diesel pickup, of course unless you put a couple stacks in the back with some monster stickers, and maybe get some cool white rimmed sunglasses. hahaha

That makes about as much sense as not purchasing crop insurance because the Fed. Govt subsidizes it.....

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. If you are looking at Ram 1500 Diesel and have plans of pulling with it DON"T DO IT. The suspension on the Ram 1500 Diesel is not set up for pulling.
2. If you're not pulling heavy loads don't spend the extra money for a 3/4 ton as the MPGs will be significantly less than a 1/2 ton.
3. If you are planning to tow at the upper end of the 1/2 ton capabilities test drive a new Silverado with 6.2 and 8 speed tranny absolutely a beast great power and great mileage when cruising without a trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes about as much sense as not purchasing crop insurance because the Fed. Govt subsidizes it.....

Well if I was to buy crop insurance ever, I would gladly give you at least a reach around for the lower premiums that are supplied by the tax payers of this nation, and of course a cheaper end product for the reduced rates that we all get to enjoy with our subsidies. Rather than thumb my nose at you and say thanks bitches, our trucks are better now with your cash paying our bills, but we are going to still charge the same prices as before you gave us cash. Its like buying the same truck twice, but only getting one truck out of the deal. hahaha.
Not calling you a liberal, but it is liberal logic when comparing. Its like Obama saying well GWB had debt spending too, so he is just as crappy as me...blah blah.

Chevy could at least send me a Christmas card with the money I am out and get nothing out of...

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can never go big enough. Might as well go all out and get one of these!

new-ford-f650-0.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11