White tail deer population

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
My daughter is working on a school project on deer conservation.

Can anyone post a link or point her in the right direction where she can find annual white tail deer population over the last 15 years.

I’ve tried googling with limited success for historical annual numbers.

She’s tracking down CRP acreage and hunting licenses and success rates. Struggling to find annual deer population numbers though.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know where exactly to find the info you are looking for but I would send a email to G&F with the information you are seeking and they may send you the info or point you in the right direction. They have always responded to my odd requests, sometimes takes a few day to route to right person for answers. GL to her on the project and sounds like would be interesting of what the results show.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have a few yrs of mule deer aerial surveys listed but didn't see whitetail (just type in G&F aerial survey)

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
In case she didn’t already have this:
75FCE9A9-EA79-4830-B729-788A61A30813.jpeg

They should at least have approximate whitetail numbers available by year if you email the outreach biologists.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In case she didn’t already have this:
75FCE9A9-EA79-4830-B729-788A61A30813.jpeg

They should at least have approximate whitetail numbers available by year if you email the outreach biologists.
Ugh... we're down to 1960s era harvest levels?

And what's with the divergence of black and red in the last couple years - after decades of the harvest and tags following each other with great correlation?

Is that due to high tag numbers being allotted by NDGF in an attempt to combat CWD spread in hot units?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ugh... we're down to 1960s era harvest levels?

And what's with the divergence of black and red in the last couple years - after decades of the harvest and tags following each other with great correlation?

Is that due to high tag numbers being allotted by NDGF in an attempt to combat CWD spread in hot units?
Yeah, I always kinda knew the 2000-2010 we were in “the good old days”. I remember my grandpa telling me that seeing deer tracks was a big deal in the 50s and they would follow them all day. And that was in the Pembina hills area.

I wonder. I’m sure that has something to do with it. That along with access to land holding deer.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the early 60's I remember my gpa telling me how they use to tie a long cable (100' ) between two trucks beside each other and drive the length of the prairie grass fields back and forth hoping to kick up a deer. Very rarely he said.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the early 60's I remember my gpa telling me how they use to tie a long cable (100' ) between two trucks beside each other and drive the length of the prairie grass fields back and forth hoping to kick up a deer. Very rarely he said.
Heard similar story. In Pembina Co. they used heavy barn ropes in the soil bank days to kick up Sharp tails. Riding on the hood of cars with shotguns. Probably a rumor. :eek:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 154
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 45